2011 Grammys

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: 2011 Grammys
« Reply #40 on: 14 Feb 2011, 10:11 pm »

But I'd like them to know when it's time to hang it up, and then do it.

Le mot juste.. I think that the idea of "Hope I die before I get old" might have made a lot of sense in the mid-late sixties to the icons of the youth culture because they were peddling rebellion but it's 40 years on and the rock continues to roll. Generations have grown up and gotten older with rock music as the soundtrack of their lives and there is no reason why "wheelchair rock" should be defined by performers hitting a certain age like it's some kind of musical "Logan's Run". If they persist in prolonging a career simply to cater to the nostalgic yearnings of folks who just aren't willing to move on, fine - a man's got a right to make a living but don't expect to get a lot of respect from music fans - just go and ply your trade and as Frank Zappa said, you can choose not to be a consumer of that product. But when you can't carry on with dignity and put on a decent performance for the paying public, that's a whole other thing ( insert picture of Nora Desmond here). It's not about age, it's about capability. As to the idea of rock music being exclusively the purview of the young, don't worry that you're encroaching on the music of youth - that line in the sand got drawn with hip-hop. Rock on without guilt or shame!
But that's just my opinion - and I could be wrong.

D.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #41 on: 14 Feb 2011, 10:29 pm »
Great summation, D.D.!   :thumb:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #42 on: 14 Feb 2011, 10:52 pm »
I'm just amazed that an indie rock band from Montreal got the nod last night.  They hadn't even bothered preparing a thank you speech. :thumb:

Lyndon

« Reply #43 on: 14 Feb 2011, 10:56 pm »
+1 Diamond Dog.
Back to the show, I appreciate AC members comments on what to zero in on, or to quickly hit the fast forward on the tape tonight.
I liked the Aretha Franklin tribute, maybe they could have had some more Divas, like two sets of 4, to do battle back and forth with her songs!
I can tell you that there are many more, Annie Lennox and Joan Osborne just come to mind that can really do Motown soul proper!  Was there ever a Marvin Gaye tribute at the Grammys?
Here is Joan doing a great version of 'What Becomes of the Broken Hearted?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA0GcXV2njY&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

1ZIP

« Reply #44 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:02 pm »

You're only young once and getting old sucks. But whatsha gonna do except try and grow old gracefully.  8)

...getting old gracefully is largely over rated. :)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #45 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:03 pm »
...getting old gracefully is largely over rated. :)

You might right,,,, are you speaking for yourself?  :lol:

Lyndon

« Reply #46 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:13 pm »
I can't stop the Joan Osborne!
Son of the Preacher Man! Love the original with Dusty, but this is a pretty good version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEgbBmU8wh0&feature=related&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

Oh, Lyndy love Joanie, but not Chachi! 8)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #47 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:13 pm »
         Actually, I thought that Jagger gave an excellent energy charged performance. :o :thumb: He must be in pretty good shape although IMO he should start working out with weights so to put some muscle on his skinny frame. :lol:  Perhaps he has access to some new designer drugs that help him power through the set.  Nothings' changed since the Stones heyday back in the 70s. :icon_twisted:

Nowadays, I'd certainly prefer going to a Stones concert over having to sit though a Justin Bieber (what's his name?) concert. :rotflmao:

I was very impressed with Eminem's super high energy performance with Rhianna :drool: and I'm not much of a Rap fan.

I thought that most of the hip hop was over produced.

-Roy

1ZIP

« Reply #48 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:41 pm »

You might right,,,, are you speaking for yourself?  :lol:

...could be. :)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #49 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:42 pm »
I'm just amazed that an indie rock band from Montreal got the nod last night.  They hadn't even bothered preparing a thank you speech. :thumb:

I think they were as surprised as anyone. I saw Arcade Fire in Seattle last September and it was the best high energy rock n roll concert I have seen in years. Key Arena was packed and everyone was on their feet for the entire show. Incredibly talented musicians and humble too. Every member of the band played more than one instrument during the concert. Win kept commenting that they couldn't believe so many people wanted to hear them play. I love all three of their albums. Some of the best music of the last 15 years has been recorded by indie bands.

Well deserved recognition for a great band and a great album :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #50 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:53 pm »
It's not about age, it's about capability. As to the idea of rock music being exclusively the purview of the young, don't worry that you're encroaching on the music of youth - that line in the sand got drawn with hip-hop. Rock on without guilt or shame!
But that's just my opinion - and I could be wrong.

D.

I think you are right about the hip-hop line in the sand. The primary reason I did not watch the show or record it was because of the heavy dose of hip-hop and rap "artists" on the show (Lady what's her name too). My first rock concert was Jefferson Airplane in 1966. I have been a rock n roll girl ever since doo wop in the late 50's. If I had known Arcade Fire was going to win the big prize, I might have recorded the last 15 minutes. I'll have to look for it on YouTube.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #51 on: 15 Feb 2011, 12:20 am »
I liked Arcade Fire too! I must be out of it because I'd not heard of them before the Grammys. :scratch: They showed the band backstage as the announcement was being made  that they'd won and they seemed to be genuinely surprised.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #52 on: 15 Feb 2011, 12:40 am »
I liked Arcade Fire too! I must be out of it because I'd not heard of them before the Grammys. :scratch: They showed the band backstage as the announcement was being made  that they'd won and they seemed to be genuinely surprised.

I have 3 of their albums, the oldest being the 2004 Funeral. But Arcade Fire isn't considered mainstream which just added to everyone's surprise last night. It's good to see someone other than the frontliners getting some recognition. I also have their 2007 Neon Bible and 2010 The Suburbs.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

putz

« Reply #53 on: 15 Feb 2011, 01:47 am »
I watch the Grammys religiously because I love music and like to check out the flavor of the year. So here's my take on the nite:

Someone tell Christina Aguilera that it's a tribute to Aretha, not a contest to see how many high notes she can reach. Rihanna is hot but needs to hold the mic near her mouth and move her lips when the prerecorded vocal track is running. Beiber gets upstaged by a kid.  God thing the e-trade baby can't sing.

I liked Muse and the 2 bands that proceded Dylan. Bob mumbled his way thru Maggie's Farm but he's been doing that for years. Personally I think he can sing just fine but he's been playing a big joke on us all these years. Did you see Neil give him the finger point just before they cut to commercial. Maybe he's in on it too?

Now to Neil. He finally wins a Grammy. Good for him and shame on the Grammys. 40 frickin years, are you kidding me. Most of last nite's winners aren't fit to lick his boots.

As far as the geezers go. Mick was OK and I'll take Bruce, Neil and Ray Davies performing live and cherish the fact that they are still able to share their genius with us for a few more precious years without having to Autotune their voices or prerecord their vocals so their dance steps aren't compromised.

And good for Arcade Fire. I finally own the Record of the Year and I guess the winner gets to do an Encore.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #54 on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:39 am »

I'm sure they were, given the track record the Grammys have established on the "art vs. commerce" front over the years. Arcade Fire are probably the biggest "indy" band around right now and are an awesome thing to see live. Like seeing some incredible hybrid of the power and impact of Springsteen and the E Street Band ( he's a fan ) mixed with the pure unmitigated joy of the Polyphonic Spree. Unfortunately, you didn't get a real feel for that Sunday night because they were buried under an avalanche of over-the-top production. If they ever appear in your area, do not hesitate - GO! Their audience demographic is incredibly wide so even if you haven't been to a rock show for years, GO!

D.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #55 on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:56 pm »
I'm sure they were, given the track record the Grammys have established on the "art vs. commerce" front over the years. Arcade Fire are probably the biggest "indy" band around right now and are an awesome thing to see live. Like seeing some incredible hybrid of the power and impact of Springsteen and the E Street Band ( he's a fan ) mixed with the pure unmitigated joy of the Polyphonic Spree. Unfortunately, you didn't get a real feel for that Sunday night because they were buried under an avalanche of over-the-top production. If they ever appear in your area, do not hesitate - GO! Their audience demographic is incredibly wide so even if you haven't been to a rock show for years, GO!

D.

+1. Here are a few pics from their Seattle show last September. The significance of the pipe organ on the screen in the last photo is their second album Neon Bible was recorded in an old church in Quebec and they used the church's pipe organ. If you have access to Palladia there is a 30 minute segment from their concert at Oxegen in Ireland.