2011 Grammys

2bigears

Re: 2011 Grammys
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:19 pm »
 :D our Rolling Stone,Mick always did stay in shape with a lot of excercise.good to see he's still moving well.brought the house down.....(Lady La-La who) :D

pardales

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:21 pm »
I thought Eminem brought some authentic intensity to the show as well.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:25 pm »
Yes, I wish old farts would graciously leave us with only the memories. 

Barbara didn't have the fullness/richness of her former voice.  I heard her a few years back on a TV special and she sounded surprisingly good (much better than last night).  Didn't she have a serious medical issue several years ago that keeps her off her feet?

Dylan was horrible.

Mick still had the moves, but I thought his voice suffered and he was puffy around the eyes (plastic?).

And all the women had super high platforms/heels, so it's a wonder more didn't stumble.

Lyndon

« Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2011, 04:37 pm »
I taped most of it and will watch it tonight.
I did view the Aretha Franklin tribute and thought those ladies had some powerful voices.
Eminem did a fantastic performance with the Roots house band on Jimmy
Fallon's show, Late Night?  a couple of months ago. I think it is on YouTube.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2011, 05:08 pm »
Was too strange Lady Gaga's new song is a Madonna tune? Have to say it must have been on purpose (with Madona's consent)..Or i smell a lawsuit.
And all those rockers over fifty seriously need to retire... They remind me far too much of watching Lawrence Welk reruns... :sleep:
(Except Springsteen..so far anyway)
The new Lady Gaga Single is extremely familiar to anyone who remembers Madona's "Express Yourself" period. I thought Jagger gave a good account of himself in front of a smokin' band - Solomon Burke would have approved. Further to the putting out to pasture of rockers over the age of fifty, I think it ain't necessarily so. I saw Motorhead on Saturday night. Lemmy is 65 and there is no shame in his game. They rocked HARD to a sold-out house.

D.

mcgsxr

« Reply #25 on: 14 Feb 2011, 07:31 pm »
Flame me all you want, but rock IS youth.

It may change from generation to generation, but it is all based on an attitude most prevalent in youth.

I did not watch much of the events last night, but happened across some.  Worse was running into a Billy Idol concert earlier in the day, and laughing out loud at the spectacle of an aged punk singing Blue Highway.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #26 on: 14 Feb 2011, 07:43 pm »

It may change from generation to generation, but it is all based on an attitude most prevalent in youth.

I did not watch much of the events last night, but happened across some.  Worse was running into a Billy Idol concert earlier in the day, and laughing out loud at the spectacle of an aged punk singing Blue Highway.

No flames here!  The issue is that NONE of us are willing to let go of our youth, so we hate it when our heroes get old and decrepit.  Impossible to believe, but we fear we are starting to look that way.
And, oh yeah, some of our "heroes", unlike AC members, just can't, uh, perform like they used to.   :nono: :thumb: :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2011, 07:51 pm »

I would say it's the music that motivates the attitude in youth, not the other way around. But I couldn't agree more that rock in all it's forms is youth oriented. Always has been. But there is no age limit on it's fans. I'm going on 60 and can embrace any form of rock even tho I'll admit not on as much of an emotional level as I once did as an adolecent. But the enjoyment is still there,, even if the headbanging moments are not.  :banghead:   :duh:   8) .

You're only young once and getting old sucks. But whatsha gonna do except try and grow old gracefully.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

JLM

« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2011, 08:09 pm »
I'm north of 50, but have no taste for "wheelchair rock".

I visit 20 or so nursing homes a year, and it makes me feel like I'm "one of them" when one of those old fart performers comes on.

Paul McCartney is 68 and still doing OK, but most of the rest need to hang it up.

1ZIP

« Reply #29 on: 14 Feb 2011, 08:20 pm »
I'm north of 50, but have no taste for "wheelchair rock"..

....and wheelchair rock is what?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #30 on: 14 Feb 2011, 08:23 pm »
Performers from our youth (1950s, '60s, '70s) that won't hang it up? Or at least move to Branson? :scratch:  :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 14 Feb 2011, 08:52 pm »
I'm north of 50, but have no taste for "wheelchair rock".

I visit 20 or so nursing homes a year, and it makes me feel like I'm "one of them" when one of those old fart performers comes on.

Paul McCartney is 68 and still doing OK, but most of the rest need to hang it up.

That's a gross generalization and misrepresentation of an aging artist IMHO. Granted backing away when the talent fades is all part of growing old gracefully, but age alone has nothing to do with judging when that moment comes for every enterainer. Just look at 64 year old Jeff Beck, 5 Grammy nominations=won 3! Beck took Best Pop and Best Rock Instrumental Performance for his 2010 album Emotion & Commotion.  :notworthy: Let's show a acknowledgement for those aging artist who are still getting it done and a little compassion for those who can't like Dylan and Streisand.  :thumb: 

Cheers,
Robin

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #32 on: 14 Feb 2011, 08:53 pm »
Moody Blues are still doing it!   :thumb:

JLM

« Reply #33 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:18 pm »
Yeah Robin, I'm not slamming them because they're old (I are quickly becoming one of 'em).   :oops:

It's especially hard to pull off with rock (as mcgsxr said).  Other musical genres can give you decades of additional miles.

But I'd like them to know when it's time to hang it up, and then do it.

Thanks partially to rock, we live in a society where the goal is to be 23 years old (some days around here is maybe 14 years old).  IME it's OK to be your age.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:30 pm »
Yeah Robin, I'm not slamming them because they're old (I are quickly becoming one of 'em).   :oops:

It's especially hard to pull off with rock (as mcgsxr said).  Other musical genres can give you decades of additional miles.

But I'd like them to know when it's time to hang it up, and then do it.

Thanks partially to rock, we live in a society where the goal is to be 23 years old (some days around here is maybe 14 years old).  IME it's OK to be your age.

I think that expression on Streisand's face last night after her song said it all and she would be the 1st to admit she didn't do herself any favors from putting herself out there like that.  :duh:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #35 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:32 pm »
IMO if they still enjoy performing and can attract fans then they should play till they drop. If you don't like them don't listen. :green:

-Roy

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #36 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:39 pm »
Moody Blues are still doing it!   :thumb:
Not all of them!!!!

1ZIP

« Reply #37 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:43 pm »
IMO if they still enjoy performing and can attract fans then they should play till they drop. If you don't like them don't listen. :green:

-Roy

+1

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:51 pm »

-Roy

+1 thou Roy.  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #39 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:52 pm »
Not all of them!!!!

True, unfortunately.