PS Audio Power Plant Premier?

sfig

PS Audio Power Plant Premier?
« on: 12 Feb 2011, 06:06 pm »
I'm interested in upgrading my power conditioner and have only heard very good things about the PS Audio Power Plant Premier ac regenerator.  Is there a reason that so many of them seem to be for sale on the used market right now?

roscoeiii

Re: PS Audio Power Plant Premier?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2011, 06:20 pm »
PS Audio has just released a new line of power conditioners: Power Plant 5 & 10

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/perfectwave-power-plant-5?cat=power

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/perfectwave-power-plant-10?cat=power

So seems to be a lot of selloff by current owners wanting to upgrade, and dealers wanting to get rid of remaining stock of the Premier.

Bugs

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:05 pm »
I'm interested in upgrading my power conditioner and have only heard very good things about the PS Audio Power Plant Premier ac regenerator.  Is there a reason that so many of them seem to be for sale on the used market right now?

Good question, I was wondering that myself.  Looks like a reasonable answer too.

rw@cn

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:14 pm »
But there has always been a good number of PPP's for sale and I have never gotten a good answer as to why. I own a PPP (it isn't in my main system now) and found that it was better than most other power conditioners. Once you get to the upper Audience, Running Springs, Shunyata and Synergistic offerings the PPP doesn't seem (INMHO) to be comparable.

I plan to keep mine.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:51 pm »
Once you get to the upper Audience, Running Springs, Shunyata and Synergistic offerings the PPP doesn't seem (INMHO) to be comparable.

That is my experience, too.

Dave

Syrah

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2011, 04:52 am »
Have you guys compared them head to head?  I'd love to hear the results.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2011, 06:09 am »
i am crazy for power conditioning. i started with ferrite claps on the A/C cords, and digital interconnects many years ago.Then bought some Adcom ACE515 when they came out. And a Monster 5000 soon afterwards.
I used them, fooling around, discovering what the do and do not do well.
The i bought a Monster 7000 signature series as a demo. Then found a demo voltage thing. So i fiddled with those. (The AVS200 is of no value unless your voltage actually fluctuates a LOT.)
Then I bought a PS Audio Premire, and then got a deal on a Furman REF20i. So now, only the Furman and the Monster 7000SS are in use.
The PPP just sits. It is about the same as the Monster IMO in sound.
All those 'high end' ($5,000) power conditioning devices are not for me. i am too much a practical person to buy into the stuff they sell.
(At least the Furman has some stuff in it, weighs 90lbs.. mostly the toriod transformer)
The Furman is really an excellent power conditioner. (Though I always say Furman  has a bigger markup than normal, so a BIG discount off list is appropriate.) I paid $1,400 used for a retail $3,500 new Furman. And that price was about right. One could buy it new for $2,500 with a little persuasion.
Anyway, any power conditioner is going to improve the clarity, and upper mids/treble. They also seem to lean out the bass a bit, more 'less wooley' than thin is a good way to explain what they do.
As for which ones to buy. that is a crapshoot, as every system's needs, along with YOUR most desired traits in audio sound, are going to matter way more than a brand name of a product.
So i would say go for what you can try out, and return if you do not like it. Or, buy used.
The Furman that sound good are the ones with the 'power factor' function. They have a cap to stiffen the A/C current amperage. The small ones have a small cap. The REF20i has one of those auto subwoofer amp stiffening size caps. The REF20i also has a $100,000. coverage of anything connected to it (five years)
So that is all I have to say about power conditioners. Except i would always use one. As my personal tastes are for clarity and great treble above all other considerations. It does seem hard to find a balance that does all one wants.