Diana Krall- Temptation

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Diana Krall- Temptation
« on: 21 Mar 2004, 10:30 pm »
I just picked up the two-song advanced single from Kralls upcoming album.  It sounds pretty good to me- normally I don't buy CD singles, but I'm getting a little antsy to hear her new stuff. :lol:

Tonto Yoder

Diana Krall- Temptation
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2004, 11:14 pm »
Surprising that she would cover a song already done perfectly on Holly Cole's "Temptation" (composed completely of Tom Waits covers).
As much as I like Krall, I can't imagine she'll come off any better than second place in the comparison.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Diana Krall- Temptation
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2004, 03:31 am »
I've never heard Holly Cole, but maybe I'll have to check her out.  I'm on something of a mild jazz kick lately, having just bought a couple of Jane Monehiet DVD-As.  Jazz is something I've delved into very very slowly over the years.

Tonto Yoder

Diana Krall- Temptation
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2004, 04:23 am »
I picked up the CD single today and think I'll have to take back what I said about comparing Cole and Krall--they take such different approaches to the same song "Temptation" that it would be hard to say one is better than the other. Krall's take is more traditional jazz, while Cole goes the offbeat route (probably influenced by the fact she's covering the King of Offbeat--Tom Waits).

Thanks for the heads-up: I wouldn't have known about the CD single otherwise. For other Krall fans, the CD single includes a track that WON'T appear on the full CD, so some may want to pony up the $3.99 even if planning to buy "Girl in the Other Room" when it comes out.

markC

Diana Krall- Temptation
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2004, 09:21 pm »
Where to get the Krall sampler? Rob- if you want to check out Holly Cole, I'd recommend Don't Smoke In Bed and/or Shade. Both very good discs in my opinion.

Tonto Yoder

Diana Krall- Temptation
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2004, 11:02 pm »
Quote from: markC
Where to get the Krall sampler?... .

It's available online at the usual places. I saw it on the Walmart site, but it wasn't in the actual store locally. Circuit City didn't have it, but Spec's chain had several copies @ $3.99. Spec's is part of Coconuts (or vice versa). Several eBay sellers have it.

BTW, 30 sec. samples of Holly Cole's "Shade" are available--
http://www.hollycole.com/multimedia.html

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Diana Krall- Temptation
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2004, 11:07 pm »
It was $2.99 at Best Buy.  I dunno if BB is everywhere...Amazon probably would have it too.