WTB: Speakers

bside123

WTB: Speakers
« on: 10 Feb 2011, 11:41 pm »
Greetings GAS & Everybody:

I'm helping a very close family friend to build a nice sounding, 2 channel, stereo system on a limited budget. I am looking for a pair of good, all-round full range speakers (possibly could be stand mounted) for under $500. Well, let's say... $500 tops. Since, I live close by, I'm turning to the GAS crowd first. Audition and pick-up wouldn't be too challenging. Will be using the speakers with 120w, SS, integrated. If you've got something, that would good for me to know about, please give me a shout. Thanks. Din

Scott F.

Re: WTB: Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:03 am »
Din,

Give Albert a call (look for a PM). I was just talking to him this evening and he said he's swamped with gear and getting ready to post a bunch of it on eBay. Not sure what he's got but he usually has stuff on budget side up to moderately expensive. He deals quite a bit of used gear plus carries Music Hall and Vincent on the new side.

Oh, when you call, expect a redneck to answer...and he's proud of it :lol: Great guy   :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:34 am »
Scott, you got an Ebay ID for him?
Curious what he's getting rid of.
Not that I need anything.......  :nono:

Bob

electricbear

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:01 am »
Check out these ones advertised on agon

www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1302467201&/Jackson--Loudspeaker-monitors

Who's calling Albert a redneck? He's red all over.

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:07 am »
I just talked to Albert and he said his eBay name is trackeral10.

Din, he said he's got some Monitor Audio BR6, some AR-7s, and some NHT AVT2 plus a couple other pairs.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:14 am »
Thanks Scott.  :thumb:

In regard to "The Jackson Loudspeaker Company", I guess that kills one possible name of any future audio related company of mine.  :duh: :lol:
Never heard of them before.

Bob (Jackson)

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:49 am »
I have a pair of Thiel CS1.6s with outriggers that I was planning to list for $500.  I'm around all weekend if you want to see/hear them.

Bob

BPoletti

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:26 am »
I have a pair of Thiel CS1.6s with outriggers that I was planning to list for $500.  I'm around all weekend if you want to see/hear them.

Bob

IMO, that's a good speaker for the money.

Kentj

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2011, 03:09 pm »
I have a nice pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis 2 speakers that I would like to sell.  These are two way floor standers.  I am asking only $175 for the pair.  They sound very good and are in very nice shape.  Call me at 636-399-8053 if you have any interest.  Kent Johnson

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2011, 03:25 pm »

Bob
I'd be asking for your address if I lived in St Louis. What a price.

daves

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2011, 10:46 pm »
Two more for the sweepstakes...
A pair of teak Thiel CS1.2s for $300

Or a pair of medium oak Energy Pro 22s for $225

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2011, 12:18 am »
I know exactly "zero" about Thiel, but that sure does look like an attractive price.

Two more for the sweepstakes...
A pair of teak Thiel CS1.2s for $300

bside123

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2011, 03:29 pm »
Thanks to all who responded to my post. As I sent PMs to some of you, I was on a road trip until Friday 2/25. I just got back to Southern Illinois and will be following up with some of your offerings. In the meantime, I found these... a pair of Kenwood KL-888D speakers, circa late 70s, in Somers, Connecticut. I bought them from the original owner, who purchased them overseas in Okinawa while he was in the service. They came complete with original boxes, paperwork and even the grills. Excellent 1970s specimens and very interesting sound. All told... $100.

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2011, 03:45 pm »
Awesome  :thumb:

98db sensitivity! You could ruin somebodies (financial) life by mating them to a really nice SET  :lol: :green:

bside123

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2011, 03:58 pm »
Awesome  :thumb:98db sensitivity! You could ruin somebodies (financial) life by mating them to a really nice SET  :lol: :green:

Yeah Scott... kinda what I was thinking. I'm not sure that these speakers are going to fit the bill that I originally intended... but I couldn't resist 'em at 100 bucks. So, I tossed them into the car and brought them home: 16" bass driver. Tell Mark that I've got big woofers too! :P At 98db, I'll need to pull out my little Eastern Electric Power Amp: 8 watts into 8 ohms, 1 5AR4/GZ34 Rectifier and 4 6BM8/ECL82 output tubes and give it a spin. Our family friend just might not get these.  :icon_lol:

Blackmore

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2011, 04:05 pm »
I felt a disturbance in the force........ 16"woofers. :drool: :drool: :drool:  (I'm only using 12" woofs   :oops:)

Man are those cool.  What will George Clinton sound like on those big boys?  Don't let the family member have those.  Get them something more audiophile approved and keep the Kenwoods as a guilty pleasure.  When are you hosting another listening session in beautiful Southern Illinois so we can hear the 'woodies'?