attenuator for Cornet2

blkdog1

attenuator for Cornet2
« on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:47 pm »
Starting a new Cornet2 build (first one), and would like to know if anyone has put an attenuator in the Cornet2 so as to be part of the build? My preference is to not use a preamp. I just want to go directly from tt into phono stage, and then to amps. So, is this possible? My experience is a little limited here, but I was thinking Goldpoint. If possible, what value should be used, and would you attenuate rca input? If this is not a possibility, what is the next best solution to achieve my goal with this?

Many thanks,
Paul. 

WGH

Re: attenuator for Cornet2
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2011, 09:07 pm »
Cornet2 with volume control (attenuation)
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59003.msg523866#msg523866

There are a few more threads regarding installing a volume control in a Cornet2, do a 'Search' for "volume Cornet2" in the Hagerman Technology circle.

And welcome to AC!

Wayne

poty

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2011, 08:35 am »
Any of passive preamps could do the thing. The preamp should be connected between Cornet 2 and the following amplifier.
You can certainly incorporate a volume control (like the Goldpoint you've mentioned) into the Cornet 2 case (at the output point), but the case is not very flexible (doesn't have enough room) for this modification. Maybe some electronically controlled versions (very small in sizes - for example Lightspeed or some relay based) could do the job better.

blkdog1

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:12 pm »
Thanks for the helpful replies. I guess this is a "case" where size really does matter! More specifically the lack of it. My Lansing case had just arrived yesterday afternoon and I had not got around to opening it up yet. The lack of room would explain why there are no references to successful volume implementations into the Cornet. So it sounds like a passive attenuator it will need to be. Anybody have any personal experience with passive attenuators that have good "synergy" with the Cornet? TVC's, Goldpoint, Lightspeed, others? My concern is to not mess with the "voicing" of the Cornet. Thanks again for the helpful info.