Another Squeezebox Touch question

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Another Squeezebox Touch question
« on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:47 pm »
Before I buy one, I need to be certain that the Squeezebox's volume control acts on the digital optical output (not just the analog out).  Can anyone confirm this for me? 

I want to bypass my preamp and route the digital out directly to my Behr DEQ2496. 

cliffy

Re: Another Squeezebox Touch question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:54 pm »
SB Touch volume control does work on Digital Outs.  I have used in my system and I have fixed the volume to 100% but it does attenuate the digital and analog outs.

Great unit!  Make sure you upgrade the Power supply.  Check out Wayne from Bolder Cable.

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:30 pm »
The Touch volume control will work on all outputs. It is not suggested you lower the volume below 70 on a scale of 100. Below that you will start to lose resolution.

sfraser

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2011, 06:48 pm »
The Touch volume control will work on all outputs. It is not suggested you lower the volume below 70 on a scale of 100. Below that you will start to lose resolution.

+1, while it work, it's probably no the best choice.

NeilT

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2011, 07:37 pm »
+1, while it work, it's probably no the best choice.

?

sfraser

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2011, 07:42 pm »

lcrim

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2011, 07:46 pm »
It will work but using your preamp volume control will probably sound better.  You start to lose bits as you lower the volume on the Touch.  I wouldn't do it that way but some people do.  You may want to try it both ways, each for a while and then make your choice.  Actually this can become a can of worms as some DACs have a volume control as well.  Your own ears in your system should guide you.

NeilT

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2011, 07:56 pm »
It will work but using your preamp volume control will probably sound better.  You start to lose bits as you lower the volume on the Touch.  I wouldn't do it that way but some people do.  You may want to try it both ways, each for a while and then make your choice.  Actually this can become a can of worms as some DACs have a volume control as well.  Your own ears in your system should guide you.

Thanks for the explanation.
Looks like if you want to bypass your pre-amp, you are going to need something else for volume control. What would be better a DAC with volume control or a buffer?

lcrim

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:14 pm »
There are those that are satisfied w/ the native built-in DAC.  Why not listen to it first and then make plans.
My own two systems have a Touch as a source w/ analog mods by Bolder Cables and SW mods by Soundcheck along w/ linear power supplies I had w/ the earlier product SB3 that I had previously. I'm obviously a long timeuser ofthe SqueezeBox prducts.
There is a lot of support around here for the Eastern Electric DAC as well, which includes a volume control.  I've owned EE products in the past and always found them to give great value.

Jazzman53

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2011, 09:38 pm »
The objective of bypassing the preamp was to limit the number of DA conversion in the signal path to one; occurring at the crossover output.   

From the hard drive I envisioned the signal path would be:  USB > Squeezebox > Optical SPDIF > Behringer DEQ2496 > digital XLR > Behringer DCX2496 > analog RCA > amps

There are input and output gain controls in the EQ and crossover but they would typically be kept at pre-set levels.

Has anyone tried something like this?   

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2011, 09:50 pm »
The objective of bypassing the preamp was to limit the number of DA conversion in the signal path to one; occurring at the crossover output.   

From the hard drive I envisioned the signal path would be:  USB > Squeezebox > Optical SPDIF > Behringer DEQ2496 > digital XLR > Behringer DCX2496 > analog RCA > amps

There are input and output gain controls in the EQ and crossover but they would typically be kept at pre-set levels.

Among other things, I modified the DCX to replace the final analog stage (and inputs) with a remote controlled 6 channel attenuator from Pilgham Audio http://www.pilghamaudio.com/index.php?page=dcx-active-upg.

It is easy to do, though quite pricey, but really works well in this kind of setup. If you're listening to the DCX full range, you're probably going to want to do something with the analog stage op amps anyway.

Tom

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2011, 11:02 pm »

I see a couple of things that would not be optimum. The Touch works best when it is connected to a server rather than having a hard drive plugged directly into the Touch. The OS that comes with the Touch has a bit of a hard time running with the very small processor that is built into it. The Touch will be a lot happier with a wired Ethernet cable running from a computer that is running SqueezeServer and has all your music files connected to the computer.

Why are you planning to use both a DEQ2496 and a DCX2496? The DCX has plenty of EQ functions built into it. Keep the signal path simple and limit the amount of switching power supplies in your system.

As Tom has stated, the stock Behringers do leave a bit to be desired sonically. There is a reason they are so inexpensive. Most of it has to do with power supply parts, and the analog circuits.

Jazzman53

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:10 am »
Thanks for the tips-- I will download the Squeezebox server software onto my laptop and feed the SB from there. 

I had already bought the DEQ about a month ago to EQ out the dipole phase-cancellation in my homebuilt hybrid electrostats (the measuring and auto EQ'ing features are especially nice).
I ordered the DCX a few days ago to enable adding the nice Ripole subs that I just built.  If it turns out that I can fully EQ the ESL's and the Ripoles with the DCX alone, then it makes sense to lose the DEQ.     

Jazzman53

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2011, 02:48 am »
My new Squeezebox Touch arrived this evening and I'm having fun playing with it.  Right now just using analog outputs into my analog preamp. 

Question:  Does anyone use the Squeezepad remote app for Ipad?  I'm just wondering if it works for all models of the Squeezbox, including the Touch?       

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2011, 04:04 am »
I'm just wondering if it works for all models of the Squeezebox, including the Touch?       

It does.

pansixt

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2011, 12:07 am »
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1303452

I.m picking up a SB Touch soon and want to use my Ipod Touch as a remote.

Here is some more info.

It may help

James

Jazzman53

« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2011, 02:36 am »
I've got my new SB Touch and I've downloaded the SqeezePad app to my Ipad.  OK, now I can control the SB from my Ipad and tell it to play music files from my laptop via the ethernet connection.

Since most of my music is on my Ipad, it would be great if I could take my laptop out of the loop and just make the Ipad the server and stream wirelessly to the SB.  But that would mean having to load SB Server onto the Ipad and I don't see a way to do that.  Is there Ipad app that would let me stream Itunes to the SB directly from the Ipad?   

« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2011, 02:31 pm by Jazzman53 »

Jazzman53

« Reply #17 on: 22 Feb 2011, 01:33 pm »
Update:
I've now got the Squeezebox connected up as follows and it sounds great:

Laptop> ethernet> Squeezebox> dig/Toslink> DEQ2496> dig/AES> DCX2496> RCA > Amps> Hybrid Electrostats

The gains on the Behringers are set so that I get fairly high input levels throught the chain and the Squeezebox volume is at about 90% when playing at normal listening levels.   

With this setup both my analog preamp and the Squeezebox DAC are bypassed and I have a single DA conversion coming out of the crossover. 

The DCX is new in my system too and with it's 48db L-R slope I can now cross over the woofers to the electrostats way down at 172hz; which takes practically all of the woofers' energy out of he midrange.  The DCX's digital delay feature also time-aligns the drivers.  The mids from the hybrid stats were already phenomenal but now it's just ridiculous.    :thumb: 
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2011, 07:57 pm by Jazzman53 »