Minimum voltage to run Bugle?

Phoca

Minimum voltage to run Bugle?
« on: 8 Feb 2011, 04:58 pm »
Anyone care to hazard a guess as to the minimum voltage one can expect the Bugle to operate on?  Mine are down to 8.57v each and one channel is dropping out.  I can get a signal if I wiggle the input, so I suspect a bad solder joint, but I've also seen the same result (or worse) when the voltages are not even.

In short, is 8.57v enough to run the Bugle, and if so, how low can it go?  I realize there are sonic tradeoffs involved, but I still want to know.  My experience with other battery operated gear is that the signal drops precipitously below a certain voltage.

Thanks all

poty

Re: Minimum voltage to run Bugle?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2011, 09:17 pm »
Theoretically - ±2.5V. In practise, I guess, around ±3V. Of course the stability, gain and noise performance could be unpredictable.

Phoca

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2011, 12:43 am »
Thanks, Poty.  I forgot to mention my question was regarding the opa2134, though I'm using a 2107 for the output OpAmp #3 (I think).  Also, I resoldered a few joints and with some careful positioning of the board and the interconnects was able to get it up and running again.  Perfectly good sound and control at the 8.5v or so.  My problem is clearly related to soldering and connections and not voltage, but the info is helpful. 

I'd still be interested in what voltage people start encountering performance, noise and stability issues, if anyone cares to weigh in.

G E

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2011, 04:19 pm »
Supply voltage for 2134 is +-2.5 to +-18 vdc

here is data sheet from ti.com.  Search on their site for other opamps data sheets

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa2134.pdf