Anyone see the National Anthem last night? Yow...

jackman

Anyone see the National Anthem last night? Yow...
« on: 7 Feb 2011, 02:47 pm »
I thought I was hearing things because the anthem was on in the background but it looks like it wasn't a figment of my imagination (and the beer I may have consumed).  Christina Aguilera seemed to be too concerned about hitting a "run" on every phrase, that she forgot about the words. 

She's taking a lot of heat but I can't imagine the pressure of singing in front of so many people.  Unlike some disrespectful renditions (Rosanne, etc.), I think Christina's attempt was sincere and respectful.  I'm not a fan of her work, but she has an awesome voice.  It would have been great if she just came out and sang it in the traditional way, without all of the BS and vocal wanking.  That would have been shocking in a good way!

Or, maybe have that guy from the Black Eyed Peas sing the song with that goofy vocalizer, while wearing the light-up suite and plastic hair (no, I'm not talking about Jerry Jones).  That would have been awesome!  I mean awesome like a huge wreck in a car race or those videos where people get hit in the nuts by various objects. 
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Video-Christina-Aguilera-goofs-up-the-National-?urn=nfl-317568

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Anyone see the National Anthem last night? Yow...
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2011, 03:43 pm »
Yes, its not an easy song (some of the notes at the end are very high), but she messed up several lines and tried way too hard to really "nail" it (or add her own expression).

Overall the worst rendition I've ever heard from a good vocalist.

decal

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2011, 03:55 pm »
No surprises,it sucked,as usual.

John151

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2011, 03:55 pm »
Agreed, plus she really should give that bad wig back to Madonna.   :duh:

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2011, 03:58 pm »
There is no excuse for not being prepared and knowing the material you are about to perform - PERIOD!!  This is especially true when it is our National Anthem and you are in front of millions and millions of people at an event of this magnitude.

I don't want to hear about the song being tough to sing or that she was nervous - she is a professional and should be held to an appropriate standard.

George

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2011, 04:03 pm »
Very well said, George.  And I'm not even American.

John151

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2011, 04:03 pm »
I bet there is someone in the armed forces that could have really nailed that song.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2011, 04:48 pm »
There is no excuse for not being prepared and knowing the material you are about to perform - PERIOD!!  This is especially true when it is our National Anthem and you are in front of millions and millions of people at an event of this magnitude.

I don't want to hear about the song being tough to sing or that she was nervous - she is a professional and should be held to an appropriate standard.

George

+1 -- turned out to be a bad choice. Our National Anthem is not a song I want the artist improvising or adding his/her "special touch." Just sing it like it is supposed to be sung.

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2011, 04:49 pm »
The boys and I were standing with hand on heart.  When she missed a word or two we all looked at each other and kind of smiled.  Oh well, better than me singing it.

She was looking a little boxy/hippy to me too.

koyaan

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:01 pm »
For the next superbowl, I'd propose a insturmental version of the National Anthem. Maybey Brian Bromberg, since Hendrix can't do it anymore. :roll:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:11 pm »
Boxy-hippy...really.

I'm sitting here eating a 1000 calorie left over slice of BBQ chicken pizza and all I can think is that goodness I'm not a women, too many image issues to deal with.  You get creamed for botching the anthem and slammed for looking a little boxy/hippy.  Sounds like a really bad day to be her.  Guess she better get some of those Sketchers toning shoes Kim is wearing.

orientalexpress

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:11 pm »
For the next superbowl, I'd propose a insturmental version of the National Anthem. Maybey Brian Bromberg, since Hendrix can't do it anymore. :roll:
Slash was there,He's could do that with his eyes close.

Mike B.

« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:14 pm »
Maybe the entertainment committee needs to consider something like what they do at the Indy 500. Have someone  who can nail it like Jim Neighbors with Back home in Indiana come back every year :D

Mike Nomad

« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:17 pm »
For the next superbowl, I'd propose a instrumental version of the National Anthem. Maybey Brian Bromberg, since Hendrix can't do it anymore. :roll:

I've heard Eric Johnson perform it several times. He definitely gets my vote. If not EJ, than my vote is for the E-Trade Baby.

srb

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:25 pm »
Overall the worst rendition I've ever heard from a good vocalist.

You nailed it, not a great vocalist or an exceptional vocalist or a fantastic vocalist, but certainly a serviceable vocalist.

She, Mariah Carey and some others try way too hard to prove they have vocal chops at the expense of the music.  Real musicians know how to tastefully embellish a melody line without leaving tire tracks all over it.

Steve

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:29 pm »

George

AMEN!! Just sing the song the way it was written!! And don't get me started on the "Black Eyed Pea Brains"!!! What was the NFL thinking???!!!

1ZIP

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:49 pm »

George

+1,  inexcusable!  Half time?......Puppy Bowl VII was more entertaining!

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2011, 07:07 pm »
Hippy/boxy, cakey, etc.   

I agree Christina is becoming a strapper but that's a whole different topic.  She needs to put down the cake and walk away from the table.  Maybe practice her singing or something...

Cheers,
J

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2011, 08:18 pm »
Back before "PC" was hip, we called it FAT!!! She's been eating at the same cake table as Janet Jackson!! She ballooned up to 141lbs!!

jmc207

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2011, 08:24 pm »
I think Carrie Underwood has a better idea on how to sing the National Anthem. Always liked this rendition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSiRUSjSJnQ