Bryston Pre-amps

werd

Re: Bryston Pre-amps
« Reply #20 on: 12 Feb 2011, 03:26 pm »
Werd. Vocals recorded via condenser microphones (which are very popular for this purpose) tend to get a "metallic" character that is further accentuated when running them via compressors/de-essers. Unless the engineer is very skilled, this character will be (sometimes very strongly) present in the final recording. And if that's how it sounds when played back at home, then your equipment is doing a very good job. I don't think you should alter it to compensate for the lack of skills of the recording guy.

Before investing more $$$$ in cables why don't you do a simple experiment. Go buy a condenser and a dynamic mic and record yourself with both then compare.

Of course if the dynamic mic recording sounds metallic too then you have a real problem.

Nap.

Nap those are recording issues not playback. You won't get around those with an SS pre or a tube pre. In fact they become way worse if you don't respect your front end. Wouldn't it be nice to know though if it's the recording doing this and not your front end. You will never know if you don't look after your front end issues.

Viajero5000

« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:38 pm »
Hi Werd, yes, all the equipment/speakers I use are highly transparent and 'neutral'. For domestic use, this can at times be too much of a good thing, as and any issues coming out of the recording/source are utterly audible.  I don't think cabling or isolation is the issue though, I use all Bryston interconnects, and CDP and all gear is properly isolated.  I'm considering the BDP1 to try as an alternative source to see if that helps.

Hi Viajero

Most of the bad wrap i hear about ss pre amps are more about the front end than anything other thing. It just so happens that you put in a tube pre amp and it band aids. Thats been my personal experience. The bp26 is not metallic or lean. The problem i have found is always in the area around the source. IE cabling, platforms and isolation around the source is where much of the activity around our hobby is centered. The bcd and bda are excellent front end pieces on their own. They become stellar when platformed and cabled properly imo.

I don't know what you got but i know the complaints and i have been down that road. Politely... "there is no free lunch in digital playback"..... hehe

Napalm

« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2011, 09:36 pm »
Nap those are recording issues not playback. You won't get around those with an SS pre or a tube pre. In fact they become way worse if you don't respect your front end. Wouldn't it be nice to know though if it's the recording doing this and not your front end. You will never know if you don't look after your front end issues.

Werd, how long do I have to hammer into your head that most of the time most problems are introduced in the recording studio. No front end will fix those. Test your equipment with a clean source, record yourself a voice and some instruments, play them back, if they sound clean and clear you're good. Then if a CD sounds bad it is because that's how it was recorded, and forget about fixing it with magic cable combinations.

Nap.