Looking for my first tube preamp...

pjnad

Looking for my first tube preamp...
« on: 5 Feb 2011, 10:11 pm »
Hi, I'm ready to move my ss Audio Research LS3b and get into a tubed pre. I'd like to try a Modwright SWL 9.0 signature if I can find one...they seem to be in my budget when they show up. Anyone have one ?
Any other suggestions? I'm mating it with a Krell KSA 150 and Von Schweikert VR 4 ( upgraded) speakers. No phono...
Thanks,
Paul

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Looking for my first tube preamp...
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2011, 10:30 pm »
Hi Paul :  I've been running a Manley Jumbo Shrimp with a pair of Bryston  SST2 monos and am really happy with the results. They're also great bang for the buck but prices are going WAY up real soon so if the idea interests you, best get to steppin' ! You can access reviews on the Manley website including one from Tone Audio magazine which was quite complementary.

D. 

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2011, 10:35 pm »
Get on the Niteshade Beacon 2 tour.  You can try it in your own system for the cost of shipping.  Worth a shot.

bside123

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2011, 10:39 pm »
These are a great value:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91068.msg901689;topicseen#new

They come up rarely on the used market. Also, Bill's great to do business with.

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2011, 11:46 pm »
CJ PV-12 will mate nicely with that amp!  Or an older ARC for that matter...

If you don't need phono, the new Mystere pre is very nice about $2000.

kingdeezie

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:22 pm »
Depending on your budget, which I didn't see listed so I apologize if this is an overshot, I would check out Bill Baker and his Purity Audio preamplifiers.

If you go to Bill's retail site, responseaudio.com, he has sweet Purity One prototype listed for something crazy like 2500. That would be killer. 

dangerbird

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:34 pm »
Get on the Niteshade Beacon 2 tour.  You can try it in your own system for the cost of shipping.  Worth a shot.

+1 on that,,well worth the price of shipping.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:45 pm »
I recently purchased one of these: http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_Cham.html

The concept is, a fixed "Mother board" and interchangeable "Active" boards. When you change the Active board you change the tube type, and therefore the sound. See the PDF at the bottom of the linked page.

I bought mine a few months ago with the PC-4T board installed with 6N6P tubes. I just got my second active board last week, the PC-2T with the 5687 tube. Installed (just snap in/out) the new board, and it's like I have another great preamp, for just changing the board. Brilliant concept!

John semi-custom builds these so you can buy it at a price point that fits your budget.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2011, 04:04 pm »
Depending on your budget, which I didn't see listed so I apologize if this is an overshot, I would check out Bill Baker and his Purity Audio preamplifiers.

If you go to Bill's retail site, responseaudio.com, he has sweet Purity One prototype listed for something crazy like 2500. That would be killer.

That's a crazy good deal if in your budget, I bought a pre-production unit from him, loving it.

And I'd also recommend the Beacon Two tour, I had it for a week and ran it against a Bella Max tubed pre and my passive SS line stage, the Beacon Two is the real deal.

carusoracer

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2011, 07:46 pm »
These are a great value:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91068.msg901689;topicseen#new

They come up rarely on the used market. Also, Bill's great to do business with.

I have had mine for several years now, it is dead reliable and a lot fun to roll tubes through :thumb:  The price is right and Bill is an audiophile Gentleman.
I really like the gear from Eastern Electric and Morningstar Audio.
It should also mate well with the Krell as it is a "cool sounding" amp. The VR4's top end would really enjoy the pairing.
Good Luck!

pansixt

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:32 am »
I always like to help bolster my states economy.
Conrad-Johnson has some of the best, for about the same money or less than I've seen recommended.
But this is just IMO.  :D

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:46 am »
As noted earlier, depending on your budget, you might check out one of the AVA T-8+ units. While no expert, I've had mine (a stock T-8) for better than 3 years and love it. Frank has a circle here where you can find loads of info, and when he upgrades any of his gear those improvements are generally applicable to older models at very reasonable prices.

http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:transcendence-eight-vacuum-tube-preamplifier-&catid=37:preamplifiers&Itemid=206

pansixt

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2011, 06:13 am »
Art makes an excellent point.
It would be hard to beat an AVA T8 as your Tube Preamp.
I'm currently fighting the choice of T8, CJ or a vintage McIntosh.
The Mac would complete my vintage Mac stack.
Such is life.
I also own AVA gear.
Not much better available IMO.

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2011, 06:22 am »
Not much better available IMO.

There is always better...IMHO.
Just a matter of coin distention.
BAT, CAT, MAT...etc etc., there are a bunch of letters after AvA

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:10 am »
Oh, Mj, you sharp tonite.  Right on.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2011, 10:24 am »
Quality/inexpensive options:

Mapletree 2A SE (see archived circle below, a giant killer from Canada)

Decware CSP (smaller tubes, headphone amp included, tons of gain, made in USA)

Eastern Electric DAC (single tube, 5 digital inputs, with volume control, what I wimped out with)

pjnad

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2011, 01:22 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! It's so difficult to make a decision with so many quality options out there...I believe that I've settled on a Modwright 9.0 Signature model with all the latest upgrades. Dan Wright has been super helpful in answering my questions and being patient with me as I've been searching for a true Signature model. I'm waiting on a customer trade in with a shop in Canada....I'll let everyone know my impressions when I get it into my system.
Next, it'll be getting started with tube rolling  :roll:
Paul

chrisby

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2011, 02:06 am »
 My own personal opinion is that most commercial tube preamps are crap designs.   KISS.  The mapletree preamp is fantastic and cheap, its probably the best starter preamp and hard to better without spending tons more.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2011, 02:38 am »
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! It's so difficult to make a decision with so many quality options out there...I believe that I've settled on a Modwright 9.0 Signature model with all the latest upgrades. Dan Wright has been super helpful in answering my questions and being patient with me as I've been searching for a true Signature model. I'm waiting on a customer trade in with a shop in Canada....I'll let everyone know my impressions when I get it into my system.
Next, it'll be getting started with tube rolling  :roll:
Paul

Sweet!   :thumb: