Audio Mirror Amp

DavidS

Audio Mirror Amp
« on: 5 Feb 2011, 03:14 am »
Not much information around on these amps although mostly positive.  I am considering a used 45 watt amp - will match with either Audio Note E's or Ellis Audio 1801s in a very small room.  Any feedback for me about these amps?

Dave G

Re: Audio Mirror Amp
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2011, 08:52 pm »
I think AC member Rockadanny has a pair of Audio Mirror 45-watt monoblock amps.

Dave

DavidS

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:38 am »
thanks Dave - have pm'ed Rockadanny.  Was really hoping someone here had good experience with these amps - quite a few mentions of them when I search but no direct information about the amps.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2011, 04:18 am »
I was seriously looking at the 20 watt mono amps until you persuaded me to go in another direction, too which there are no regrets. :D

DavidS

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:21 am »
Hey John - good to hear from you. 

Sold my big Accuphase amp so no amp in my second system.  Have this great JE Labs preamp that I am looking to partner up with an affordable tube amp that has some of the 300b magic but a bit more power to drive my Ellis' in a small room.  These seem like a good option especially with upgraded tubes but still waffling a bit as there is very little information out there about them despite being on market for good 5 years.  Love the Set on steroids idea.

David 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2011, 08:56 am »
i have a pair of the earlier iterations w/the eye-tube on the front.  they are really sweet sounding amps.  a fantastic deal for tube amps, imo, especially if you can pick up a pair used.  neutral, great tone, dynamic, and extended, w/good soundstaging.  however, when i say "extended", realize that i have never tested their lowest octave, as i used them w/actively crossed-over subs.  (i have never run any tube amp in my system below 60-80hz, i started w/subs and active x-overs before i started w/tubes...)  i used the a-m's to drive proac tablette 8 ref sigs and coincident victory's.  i also took them over to rim's, and tried them there, driving the ribbons of his vmps rm40's >~280hz.  imo, they were every bit as nice as rim's mondo response-audio modded asl hurricanes.

i still have them, not presently being used, but i don't wanna let 'em go, because some day, when i am no longer living in a studio apartment, i am sure i will make them sing again.  :green:

all that said, if i were in the market for >40w of pure single-ended 6c33c power, i would be all over the response audio modded asl amps f/s here; i am flabbergasted that these things are still f/s.  same type of amp as the audio mirrors, and tho i have never heard them, i bet they are in the same league sonically, if not better, since bill baker had his hands in 'em:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84282.msg898603#msg898603

doug s.

DavidS

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2011, 05:46 pm »
thanks for the response Doug.

I have looked longingly at Gongos amps over the past 4 months or so.  Just a little pricey for me - but used to own Bill's 3205's and know about his good work.  Wasn't aware that these were same tube as the Audio Mirrors. 

Ask a question and you get much more to think about and tempt you - these amps are even just down the road in Seattle.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2011, 09:05 pm »
Shoot me a PM, I have a modified (and greatly improved) pair of the 45 watt mono blocks that I have been thinking about selling.

George

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2011, 06:18 pm »
hey george, i am curious about your mods - what was done, who did it, etc; you can pm me if you think it not worth discussing in this thread.

thanks,

doug s.

cityjim

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2011, 07:03 pm »

I have a pair of Audio Mirror SET class A 45 watt amps. Wouldn't trade them for anything. Had many other amps in the past that didn't measure up. These amps and preamp are no joke. Forget all that class D (switching) noise.

I also have a bunch of pictures INSIDE and outside of these amps. Also have the Audio Mirror full tube preamp. Uses 1 tube for rectification. What a match made in heaven.

If someone could tell me how to attach pictures again, I would provide plenty inside and out like mentioned above. Insert image isn't working for me.

cityjim

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2011, 07:32 pm »
hey george, i am curious about your mods - what was done, who did it, etc; you can pm me if you think it not worth discussing in this thread.

thanks,

doug s.

I have no problem sharing what was done.  Let me check with the technician to see if he has any issues with revealing his name.

BTW, if I didn't absolutely love the Atma-Shere sound, these would be my main amps - they are that good!

George

colesey

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2011, 08:23 pm »
I too have a pair of these amps and rate them very highly. Vlad's great to deal with and built these for me from new with numerous component upgrades. Is also worthwhile adding some nice tubes (TS 6SU7 and BT cv181z) and fuses. They recently went back to Vlad for his latest updates (auto-bias and direct coupling) - most worthwhile.  Hope this helps but feel free to PM me if you want some more specifics.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:25 am »

They are easy on the eye...

Sam-fi

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:09 am »
I have dealt with audio mirror in the past and I can offer my support that they have tremendous people working over there. They did a super job on my dac. Vlad is knowledgeable and gracious.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2011, 08:24 pm »

thanks,

doug s.

Doug,

Sorry that it has taken me a while to come back to this thread.  The modifications to my amps were performed by AudioCircle's own Mike Galusha.  Mike is a very skilled individual and did a great job improving the amps. 

Basically, I asked Mike to leave the general design and circuitry in tact; focusing instead on improving the parts.  Mike made changes to the binding posts, input jacks, switches, tube sockets, and wire using tried and trusted parts from Cardas, Furutech, and DH Labs.  He also installed some different caps, resistors, and diodes from Black Gate, Sonicap, Jantzen, Fairchild, and Mills.  Lastly, he added the ability to warm up the tubes before applying the full voltage.   This should help prolong tube life.

So what do the modified amps sound like?  Compared to the stock amps, there is a lot more clarity and definition across the whole spectrum.  The amps sound "faster" and have a more intoxicating sound that really give them a very "you are there sound".  In fact, I think they have many of the attributes of a good OTL amp now!

Mike also measured them while doing all this work and the amps not only meet their specified out of 45 watts, they also measured much better than a typical SET amp.

In stock form the Audio Mirror amps are very nice - post mods they can toe to toe with amps costing significantly more.  If I wasn't so smitten by the Atma-Sphere OTL's, these would definitely be my every day amp.

George