Cornet2 capacitor questions

jdawg

Cornet2 capacitor questions
« on: 3 Feb 2011, 03:13 pm »
I'm planning to build the Cornet2 kit and I'm in the process of looking up all the parts I need online.  I've already entered all the parts I need from digikey but the part numbers for capacitors C202 and C204 are no longer available.  What would be good replacement capacitors to use?   

SC50

Re: Cornet2 capacitor questions
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2011, 01:59 pm »
for Digikey go to Product Index>capacitors>film, then use the filters to narrow the field. Don't choose the parameters all at once. You might have to use a cap with different lead spacing, or use a 1 or 3% tolerence, so do those last.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:36 pm »
What would be good replacement capacitors to use?

What is your budget? The stock Cornet2 is pretty good, but with upgraded capacitors and matched resistors it comes close to to the best phono pre-amps available. My first suggestion would be to use "Search" and read every Cornet2 thread in the Hagerman Circle, that is what I did before I started.

The Cliffs Notes version:

C208 - Mundorf Silver/Oil bypassed with .1 uF Russian Teflon FT-3
C206/200 - Sonicap Gen 1
C203 - Sonicap Platinum
C202 - Sonicap Gen 1
C204 - Sonicap Gen 1

Wayne

poty

dangerbird

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2011, 12:35 pm »
I would seriously consider WGH's recipe,  :thumb:,I did and I'm loving every minute.Good luck--let us know what you do.

jdawg

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2011, 02:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I decided to get some Sonicap Gen 1 capacitors for C202 and 204 because I think using higher quality capacitors for the RIAA circuit might be better.  I'm not going to change the other capacitors yet because I want to see how it sounds first.  Then I can upgrade later and see if more expensive capacitors really do make a difference.