White Stripes Disband...

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
White Stripes Disband...
« on: 2 Feb 2011, 11:37 pm »
If you're a fan of the White Stripes, you might want to have a seat. Jack White has announced that the band is no more as in no more new records and no more touring. Finito. There is apparently ( of course... ) some unreleased music both live and studio which will be released over time by White's Third Man Records but as of today, the red and white fades to black. I really liked 'em and saw them on their last tour - amazing to see just the two of them bring the Icky Thump album to life with no sidemen and no chicanery. 100% pure "essence of rock n' roll". They will be missed...

D.

« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2011, 02:57 am by Diamond Dog »

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
Re: White Stripes Disband...
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2011, 02:31 am »

100% pre "essence of rock n' roll". They will be missed...

D.

This news makes me feel terrible. Yes, they will be missed...

- David.

Bear

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2011, 03:21 am »
this is tragic news

yo2tup

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2011, 03:58 am »
a sad day... i got the tweet this morning.  totally ruined my day!

pardales

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2011, 05:38 am »
Bummer... :(

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2011, 06:25 am »
Good for them! No depressing slide into mediocrity.  They released a bunch of great albums, so if you can go out with dignity then all the better.

elasticnorseman

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2011, 04:30 pm »
Good for them! No depressing slide into mediocrity.  They released a bunch of great albums, so if you can go out with dignity then all the better.

I agree. Plus, Jack White is (was?) putting out music with his side projects. 

pardales

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2011, 04:43 pm »

I agree. Plus, Jack White is (was?) putting out music with his side projects.

Both, excellent points.

baumer

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2011, 05:00 pm »
I'm curious at to what you all think is their best release. I have to go with "Elephant" myself.
I don't think there's a bad song on it.

nathanm

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2011, 05:50 pm »
I'm partial to their 1st record.  My gut reaction is that it just plain rocks.  My potentially cynical-sounding take on things is that they successfully did what Led Zeppelin did, i.e. steal crusty old blues tunes from ages past and give them rockin' new life for a modern ear.  I know that's blasphemy, and if Robert Crumb were here right now he'd be melting down on me, but dammit that's the way I hear it.  "Stop Breaking Down" just ain't as cool with the Thomas Edison recording treatment.

brother love

« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2011, 07:09 pm »
I'm curious at to what you all think is their best release. I have to go with "Elephant" myself.
I don't think there's a bad song on it.

Ditto.  The 1st album is a close second.  I own all their studio releases, & a bunch of live shows.  I really dig the Peel Sessions.

I am really sad that the White Stripes are no more. 'Bout the only current band w/ a similar more stripped down sound is the Black Keys.  I love Brothers & Attack & Release.

The Raconteurs are good. I enjoy their 1st 2 releases, but haven't tried Dead Weather yet (is that the band name?) .

I love electric guitar & Jack White is incredible, one of my faves.

baumer

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2011, 08:18 pm »
The Black Keys have been in heavy rotation around here for quite a while. Love that raw, gritty, bluesy sound of theirs. Much like the White Stripes as you mentioned. I haven't heard Brothers yet. I'm currently
grooving to Thickfreakness.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2011, 08:48 pm »
Bummer... they never failed to impress seeing them live.  One of the best concert nights I ever attended was NYE with Blanche>Flaming Lips>White Stripes.

My vote goes to Elephant as well for best album, especially on heavy white and red colored vinyl  :thumb:

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2011, 08:54 pm »
My potentially cynical-sounding take on things is that they successfully did what Led Zeppelin did, i.e. steal crusty old blues tunes from ages past and give them rockin' new life for a modern ear.

Check out the movie "It Might Get Loud" - Jimmy Page jamming with Jack White and talking about their approach to playing, composing, etc. (plus some other guitar guy that seems to have a big following :) )

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229360/

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2011, 09:01 pm »
Agreed, love the White Stripes, but I look forward to Jack White's projects.  He's a great musician and a true artist.  I love his playing and really enjoy the live clips (available on Youtube) of the WS's playing on the Jooles Holland show live. 

They are a fun band to see live but Meg has battled stage freight issues for a while.  I believe she was unable to perform a couple years ago and they had to cut the tour short. 

On a separate note, I'm also a fan of Meg White's home video*...yow. :thumb:

Cheers,

J
* not 100% sure it's her but I'm 90% sure!

soundbitten1

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2011, 01:15 am »
I enjoy all their records. Today I prefer Icky Thump.

rockadanny

« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2011, 12:50 pm »
I've only heard a few cuts from a CD a while ago (cannot recall which as I have the CRS disease) but the (on purpose) distortion was too much for me to enjoy. However, I do love The Black Keys, though they use distortion as well. Would you say the White Stripes music is similar to The Black Keys?

ratso

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2011, 02:14 pm »
Agreed, love the White Stripes, but I look forward to Jack White's projects.  He's a great musician and a true artist.  I love his playing and really enjoy the live clips (available on Youtube) of the WS's playing on the Jooles Holland show live. 

They are a fun band to see live but Meg has battled stage freight issues for a while.  I believe she was unable to perform a couple years ago and they had to cut the tour short. 

On a separate note, I'm also a fan of Meg White's home video*...yow. :thumb:

Cheers,

J
* not 100% sure it's her but I'm 90% sure!

pretty much universally agreed upon as faked. sorry.

jackman

« Reply #18 on: 4 Feb 2011, 08:32 pm »
pretty much universally agreed upon as faked. sorry.

If you say so... :wink:

The rumor, back in '07, was that Meg pulled out of the tour because was embarassed about the tape.  I am no expert but that girl in the video looked A LOT like Meg. Maybe she has a hot identical twin sister or something.  This is not a link to the video (this is a family site!) but a link to one of the many articles that came out when Meg pulled out of the tour three or four years ago.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/09/26/1190486365616.html

Hey, either way, I'm sorry there will be no more White Stripes.  I was a fan but thought they already broke up because I have not heard much about them in recent years.  They haven't released a record in a long time (Icky Thump was from '07 I believe).  Although I like several of their songs, I can't listen to them for long stretches.  Elephant is still my favorite WS albums but Icky Thump is one of my favorite WS songs. 

Jack is a true artist and, as such, some of his stuff I love and some I can't stand.  I always admire his fearless nature and willingness to experiment with music.  He is a highly underrated guitarist and brilliant musician.  Looking forward to keeping up with his projects. 

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2011, 03:36 pm »
Well...thats sad news for the fans, lets hope they come out with  a new musical project sometime.