Vibration isolation devices for CD or preamp

audiodave33

Vibration isolation devices for CD or preamp
« on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm »
Has anyone tried any vibration isolation devices on Modwright CD or preamp?  For example I'm considering the Symposium Roller Balls.  If you have, how did it alter the sound?  Many thanks in advance for any comments/feedback.
dave

Ern Dog

Re: Vibration isolation devices for CD or preamp
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2011, 04:21 am »
I've tried vibrapod isolators and cones on my Modwright Oppo 83 and found that the cones did an excellent job of bringing out more details, and the isolators were also an improvement.

The cones also worked well with the Modwright preamp.

Both units responded well to isolation devices.  Vibrapods are an inexpensive way to get started.  I've also heard good things about the Cereballs too. 

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2011, 04:46 am »
I use a Gingko Audio Cloud 10 platform under the Modwright BDP-83.  I just got my LS36.5 DM and have only a few hours on it.  I have some things to try.

DTB300

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2011, 03:15 pm »
Symposium Svelte, Precision Couplers, and FatPadz.  Works very well for me.

I would like to try a SRA shelf and some Symposium Rollerblocks in the future.  I have also seen the Magnetic stuff - Sound Will - and thought about trying them too.  But so far very happy with Symposium products.

I have tried Vibrapods (worst), Herbies Products (much better), and then the Symposium stuff (best).

dminches

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:08 pm »
Can someone explain why vibration reduction products should make a material difference with equipment without moving parts, such as tube preamps?

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:22 pm »
Perhaps for the same reason that speaker crossover components get sealed and sometimes potted in their own sub chambers or circuit boards and transformers suspended on squishy interfaces or tubes inserted in special gel-filled sockets?  :x

I know reputable manufacturers who have taken the same circuit (transistor preamp for example) and encased it in different chassis, then experimented with different ways to minimize resonant behavior and such. Bottom line? Very audible differences with no change to circuit board layout, parts or anything - just what the enclosure material was, how it was shaped and how different bits and bobs were isolated.

Eduardo de Lima of Audiopax stuck his amp circuit inside a brass case, aluminum case and stainless steel case. No other difference. The brass case won by quite a margin. He couldn't explain it but made the choice his ears told him.

Resonance control in audio can be very beneficial. Not all of it seems to make sense on the face of it and not all of it makes for better, just different. But it's easy enough to experiment for yourself and draw your own conclusions. If you're performance driven, you may not need an explanation to embrace a solution that to your ears seems to work  :lol:

dminches

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:26 pm »
Now you have goaded me into experimenting  :D. I have used vibrapods but I guess I will try some hockey pucks (some swear that these work well) and maybe a symposium product or 2.

saisunil

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:36 pm »
Any easy and logical tweak - the one I live by is liberal use of rubber-cork-rubber ... and cardas wooden blocks. They donot make anything sound worse. Some of the isolation devices are actually tuning devices - they may alter tone ... some sound better or worse are system specific ... or may be plain unstable or may require very careful placement ... good luck ...

In general reducing vibration is a good thing ...

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:43 pm »
I've had noticeably good results using the large IsoNode's for my old Sony ES series (very heavy) CD player.

http://www.brightstaraudio.com/isonode.htm

rbbert

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:54 pm »
I suspect the audio rack on which everything else is put will have an effect on the sound of the different vibration control accessories as well.  It's hard to predict how the different combinations will interact.

Audioclyde

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:58 pm »
In an old thread (maybe involving the Transporter?), Dan high,y recommends a brand of vibration control cones/footers. I don't have em or recall the name, but if interested I would suggest digging around--Dan usually knows what he is talking about  :)!

Best,

Randy

Edit:  go down a couple of pages "Blak Holes" I believe.

DigiPete

• Hearing is Believing...
« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2011, 03:39 am »
Can someone explain why vibration reduction products should make a material difference with equipment without moving parts, such as tube preamps?

What one must realize is that seemingly solid parts actually move.
The susceptibility to this movement (vibration) is a function of the stiffness of the part and the frequency content of the stimulus as well as the geometry of the component. So, tubes for instance vibrate in many axes, both the glass tube as well as the plates internally.

Toon

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2011, 09:51 am »
It's hard to go past Herbies Audio Labs for quality, effectiveness and value. A certain Dan Wright happens to be a celebrity endorser of their products, I note, so you can take their suitability for the task as read ...  :)

audiodave33

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2011, 01:58 am »
Just wanted to report back.  Got a set of Symposium rollerballs and just buy coincidence some one local was selling a used Symposium Ultra platform.  I got that as well.
First I put the CD player and PS on the platform and the rollerballs under the CD player.  My first reaction was this is like an x-ray into mixing of the music.  I could identify the layering of the tracks and there was greater space between voices and instruments, but at the same time something was lost.  The synergy of the tracks and energy of the music was lost.  My foot wasn't tapping along anymore.  Voices and instruments were too smooth.  A certain amount of decay and grittiness was missing for me.  I then moved the power supply off the platform and I felt I had a better balance overall.

Still listening and experimenting.

So much of this hobby is personal taste and synergy between components.

My two cents.