2011 Mac Mini - how to add a better power cord?

gooberdude

2011 Mac Mini - how to add a better power cord?
« on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:08 pm »
I just received a brand new mini last week...its really cool & so tiny compared to my '09 mini.  too tiny, to my surprise!

What are our options for using an upgraded power cord?

i purchased a rhodium Furutech C7 iec from c venhaus, then find out its too big. The c7 blocks the inlet for the Ethernet plug...they are too close together.

I'm researching wireless internet connections so I can eliminate the Ethernet plug.  Am i heading down the right road here??   no experience w/wireless internet yet.

any assistance is appreciated. 

matt

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: 2011 Mac Mini - how to add a better power cord?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:12 pm »
This? :dunno:

Anand.

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:26 pm »
 :thumb:

the C7 iec fits just fine, just not when the internet is plugged in.

Are there USB input modems/routers??  that would solve it.

Blackmore

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:10 pm »
Hey Matt,

You could try a right angle IEC adapter from http://www.voodoocable.net/VAPA.htm

Or just go ahead and spring for an Apple Airport Extreme ($180) and get that wireless going.  Then you can get an iPad to control the whole thing and be in heaven.

gooberdude

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:37 pm »
Its looking like the Airport Extreme is the answer. 

thanks guys!!

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:10 pm »
Matt,

You can also contact Dave Elledge at Pi Audio and check out his MPC cables.  He might even have some trade-ins available.  Much better to use ethernet IMO, than even wireless N.  Then you can turn the wireless off entirely and increase playback quality just that much more.

I had the original Pi MPC cable and ethernet on the same machine at the same time, and am now just waiting for my MPC plus, which has a modified furu connector that still allows the ethernet cable to be plugged in.

HTH,

Jim

sfig

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:01 pm »
You could use an adapter and go with your existing power cables as well.  I use an icecube IEC-C7 adapter with my psaudio power cable and it fits fine on my 2010 mac mini and does not get in the way of my ethernet connection.  My mac mini is connected by ethernet to my airport extreme and I use my ipad for wireless control with apple remote an it works great for me.

gooberdude

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2011, 04:11 am »
I have a bunch of the c7 adapter plugs from voodoo, i'm looking for the most direct connection though...and Jim hit a home run!

i'm quite new to using a computer for audio, Pi Audio looks to be a good resource.   

thanks guys! 

Honestly, i don't want wireless internet whatsoever.  I'm buying a loft in a few weeks and have plenty of room to run wiring w/o it being noticeable.

My ultimate plan is to give the mini to Mach 2 & let them go crazy, but i won't have funds for a while.  I need a DAC first.

gooberdude

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2011, 05:38 pm »
The C7 adapters work just fine.  My only issue is the IEC end is now 5" long (heavy too) & can easily torque the inlet on the Mini...gotta be careful...hopefully its only temporary.

Pi Audio should capitalize on their funky C7 plug...noone else has that from what i can tell. I have (2) Furutech C7 inlets w/the rhodium plating & like them a lot.  I hate to spend $400 when all i need is a $50 plug, but i might have to bite the bullet.

Also, for those who didnt know, the non-polarized Furutech C7 connectors will work with most any polarized (C8 i think?) inlet. Works great on my xbox, cable box, active desk speakers, etc.  I dont think any mfgr sells an iec plug for this yet...

matt

dmccombs

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2011, 08:34 pm »
Matt,

You can also contact Dave Elledge at Pi Audio and check out his MPC cables.  He might even have some trade-ins available.  Much better to use ethernet IMO, than even wireless N.  Then you can turn the wireless off entirely and increase playback quality just that much more.

I had the original Pi MPC cable and ethernet on the same machine at the same time, and am now just waiting for my MPC plus, which has a modified furu connector that still allows the ethernet cable to be plugged in.

HTH,

Jim

+1    :)

Audioclyde

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2011, 09:03 pm »
As I posted in Daves circle, my STD PI pwr cord for my Mac mini was good, but when I replaced it earlier this week with the new + version I was truly astounded. Maybe because I had to live with the stk Apple cord while Dave did the upgrade, but the + pwr cord is truly great in my system.

Randy

gooberdude

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2011, 01:21 am »
I'm going to modify a Furutech C7 gold iec initially. There's a lot of empty space inside the C7 enclosure.

Dave at PI has been a great resource. Quick to answer e-mails, knowledgeable & friendly. I bought a Sandwich from him, and i have no doubt the MPC+ is an effective power cord.  I get the impression that his cable designs are throughly vetted & tweaked.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:01 pm »
Goober, I have a AT&T DSL modem that sends out wireless signal throughout my house.  I have the new Mac Mini which I set up this week.  I down loaded the new version of iTunes and Mac OS upgrades (about 1.5 GB total).  It took close to 3 hours to download everything and went without a hitch.  So if you don't mind slow downloads, it seems to work fine.

gooberdude

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2011, 06:13 pm »
Thanks for the info.

I'm going to wait until i move in the place before deciding on wireless, but its good to know others are having success with other brands of modems. 

$200 is too much to pay for Macs unit IMO.

The new mini is so much quieter than my '09, in terms of the amount of noise the computer makes while operating normally. I wish my PS3 was this quiet.

As a side note, i'm thoroughly disappointed with the performance of the Mini as a DVD player...the picture is grainy. Its the only gripe I have though.

pwag

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2011, 11:21 pm »
Has anybody tried the PS Audio Jewel C-7?

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86725

Looks like the C7 connector could be slim enough for the Ethernet plug to fit.
$70 is a good deal if it works.

gooberdude

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2011, 11:35 pm »
Nice!! 

It would be great if they just sold the connector. Looks like its slim enough.

Sounds like the PS Audio cable is shielded.  Dave at PI tested both unshielded & shielded with the Mini. AFAIK the cables he makes are unshielded.

pwag

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:43 am »
Interesting. Do you know whether Dave chose the unshielded cables over the shielded because it didn't make a difference or because it did -- and if the latter was that empirically determined or is there some physics behind that somebody could explain?

gooberdude

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:57 am »
I asked him for advice since i normally make my own cords, and specifically shielded or unshielded.  his response was that the sound stage collapsed a bit when a shielded cable was used.  The extra capacitance may have been the culprit.

i'd shoot Dave a pm.  He doesn't know me from anyone else, yet he's been a great resource to talk shop with.

Geardaddy

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2011, 12:40 pm »
Hi Matt.  Is this computer a dedicated audio server only or is it used for other things in a common space? 

gooberdude

« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2011, 04:12 am »
Right now my Mini is the only computer i have at home, but within a few months i'll put it to use simply to play music & access the internet.