RM-200 blowing fuses

MFE

RM-200 blowing fuses
« on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:57 pm »
Hi

I`m trying to help out a friend of mine with his RM-200, (ser.nr: 2070, 240V) it all started out with a blown output tube, he replaced all 4 of them with a new set of Svetlana KT88 and a set of 6H30 driver tubes, cause one of the driver tubes was also defect, it was still not working, I found one capacitor in the power supply that was shorted, changed it out, with a new one with same spec. turned on the amp and it was fine, adjusted the bias to 40mV and it was nice and stable. It played music for approx. 1 hour before it blew the main fuse, I thought it was quite hot but that might be normal for this amp?  Afterwards it blows the fuse every time we turn it on, I have tried to turn it on without tubes, but still the same, as far as I can see the components in the power supply is ok.
There are 2 more pots inside the amp, that have been turned around, what is the correct position for these?
Is there any documentation available for this amp, or do you have any hint, where I can continue to look for the reason why it blows the main fuse?

Scottdazzle

Re: RM-200 blowing fuses
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2011, 08:31 pm »
Why don't you go straight to the source? Roger Modjeskie will help you out.  He usually prefers phone calls to emails.  :thumb:

rbwalt

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2011, 09:18 pm »
yea give roger a call. the driver tube for that amp is the 6BQ7. i would only stick with those. i only use them in my SE.

rob.

MFE

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2011, 09:16 pm »
Hi

The thing is that I`m from Norway and due to language etc. I prefer forums or E-mail, I have tried to mail Roger M, but haven`t got any response.
6BQ7 tubes is on order, in Stereophile Roger wrote "As to rolling the driver tube, if you like the 6922 or its higher-current 6H30 version, go ahead, the circuit won't mind—though in this application I prefer the 6BQ7 for its ruggedness, less delicate grid, and higher current." thats why I tried them.  :?

Scottdazzle

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2011, 04:51 pm »
Have you tried to send him a personal message through Audiocircle.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2011, 05:06 pm »
Hello,

As a fellow Scandinavian (US born) I have helped folks form your corner of the world from time to time.  So I called RAM Labs and got a message that says the best method is email at this address: mailto:ramtubes@gmail.comThis a completely different email address than what is on the website.  If you haven't tried this one give it a go and the suggestion of sending him a private message (PM) in addition may help.

Mr. Modjeski freely admits he has limited time for the internet so patience and perseverance will prevail.

Best of luck and hope this helps,

JakeJ

MFE

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2011, 11:13 pm »
Thank you very much guys, I will try the other mail adress and send him a PM, and hopefully get the amp. up and running again.  :D