Warming Up The Tubes

Wind Chaser

Warming Up The Tubes
« on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:39 pm »
When you switch your amp on, how long do you let it warm up before playing music or idle between listening sessions?  I'm pretty bad... my amp idles a lot... sometimes for the better part of a day, probably not a smart thing to do with $1000 worth of tubes. :duh:

JakeJ

Re: Warming Up The Tubes
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2011, 12:51 pm »
15-20 minutes.  I do leave the system on for periods of time without music playing if I get distracted outdoors or in the basement.  However I never leave the house on errands and leave the amps on, but I will leave the preamp on.  And, of course, I shut it all down when going to work or travel.

I agree it's not a good idea to leave them idling for periods longer than, say, two hours or more because good tubes are expensive.  (IMO)

With my Rowland gear?  Now that's something completely different.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:48 pm »
I like to let my tuner play at low volume for a half hour before bringing the volume up. During the first 10 minutes details are a bit soft. When home I leave the system on for most of a day. Which is mainly Sunday these days.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:10 pm »
I give my single ended el84 amp about 20 minutes of idle time before any serious listening.  Having a pool table right there helps pass the time!

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:41 pm »
20-30 minutes. It's not about the tubes getting warm, that only takes a few minutes. it's about your power transformer getting warm.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:46 pm »
  Initial warm up of 15 minutes then hit play let it cook for a half hour.

charles

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2011, 04:37 pm »
Does this warm up count for tubes other than in an amp???
As I have tubes everywhere except in my amp...
So, I turn on tubes in source, turn on pre (tubes), turn on SS amp. Everything engages after 45 secs to 1 min. I them stream ambient music at a low volume for 15 to 20 min before turning up and moving on...

Also, If i am going to stop listening for a couple to few hours I will turn of the tube stage in the source off but sometimes leave the pre on.

Am I practicing acceptable behavior?

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:12 pm »
Does this warm up count for tubes other than in an amp???
As I have tubes everywhere except in my amp...
So, I turn on tubes in source, turn on pre (tubes), turn on SS amp. Everything engages after 45 secs to 1 min. I them stream ambient music at a low volume for 15 to 20 min before turning up and moving on...

Also, If i am going to stop listening for a couple to few hours I will turn of the tube stage in the source off but sometimes leave the pre on.

Am I practicing acceptable behavior?

You would not want to send the tube shut down energy to your preamp and then to your amp then thru your speakers. It would be a good way to fry your tweeters possibly. You just don't want to amplify that. You could however turn your preamp to a different input and then shut down your tube source.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:34 pm »
My tube amp has a 45 second turn-on delay.  I start listening right after that relay kicks.  Sounds good cold and I know it will only sound better after a couple of tunes.    :thumb:

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:37 pm »
My tube amp has a 45 second turn-on delay.  I start listening right after that relay kicks.  Sounds good cold and I know it will only sound better after a couple of tunes.    :thumb:

+1  Same with my integrated tube amp.

Gopher

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:04 pm »
What I generally do is fire up my rig and immediately cue up the Isotek Burn In CD on track 2 at slightly lower then listening levels. 

By the time it gets through track 2 (full range) and 3 of the CD, we are warm and ready to rock. 

Indiansprings

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:21 pm »
I fire it up and push play on the dvd player.  :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:55 am »

I should follow your example.  It may not sound optimum right off the line, but it doesn't waste any time sounding very good even with the two power transformers being cold.

SET Man

« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:07 am »
Hey!

For my system I wait at least 15 mins. But found that everything seem to come together nicely after 30 mins :D

But if I will have some fellow audiophile nuts over I usually let everything run at least 1 hr before let them hear my system :wink:

You know you can warm your tubes faster if you put a blanket over them.... just kidding :jester:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:43 am »
Lots of ways to warm up tubes.  My tube preamp has a standby (keeps the tubes warm) and soft start circuit. 

Before going home, I call up my wife 1hr before and have her turn on my tube amps/preamp.  So when I get home, it's play time!  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:56 am »
     You know you can warm your tubes faster if you put a blanket over them....

Would that be an electric blanket?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:08 pm »
You know you can warm your tubes faster if you put a blanket over them.... just kidding :jester:

When I need my amp warm fast I get out my blowtorch.  Works like a charm!

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:24 pm »
Most tube amps do not reach their ambient operating temperature for at least an hour. As far as tube warm up times, about 10 minuets. How long does it take to become fully operational from a cold start? About 20 seconds for indirectly heated cathodes on average. Directly heated cathodes take about 5 seconds when referring to something like an 845.

I turn on my amp/preamp first. Then the TV. By the time my DVD is loaded and playing previews, the tube gear is ready. Actually, it's ready before all that takes place.

decal

« Reply #18 on: 1 Feb 2011, 07:27 pm »
Don't worry about warm up.Put on some tunes and enjoy the music.The longer it plays,the better it sounds(to me anyway).

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #19 on: 3 Feb 2011, 12:57 am »
Don't worry about warm up.Put on some tunes and enjoy the music.The longer it plays,the better it sounds(to me anyway).

+1!  Life is short so cram in all the music you can. :D
 Eveanna Manley recommends listening to Tom Jones while your tubes warm up - I kid you not !

D.