Dennis Murphy availability

jsalk

Dennis Murphy availability
« on: 27 Jan 2011, 06:39 pm »
Dennis has asked me to pass along this message to anyone trying to communicate with him.  He has no power and no contact to the outside world.  Until power is restored, he will not get your messages and cannot respond.  Hopefully power will be restored shortly.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Dennis Murphy availability
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:07 pm »
Thanks Jim!  I just got power back.  It was getting cold on Wehawken Rd, and a warm puppy can only help out so much.  Back to work. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:13 pm »
That's two nights.  I bet it was cold.  I got mine back last night.  The tough part was parceling hot water for showers. I had never thought of turning water off for lathering but that's what we had to do to ration the water in the tank.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2011, 04:40 pm »
Thanks Jim!  I just got power back.  It was getting cold on Wehawken Rd, and a warm puppy can only help out so much.  Back to work.

So it was a two dog night!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2011, 05:56 pm »
That's two nights.  I bet it was cold.  I got mine back last night.  The tough part was parceling hot water for showers. I had never thought of turning water off for lathering but that's what we had to do to ration the water in the tank.

There are advantages to gas water heaters.  And I'm definitely getting a gas stove.  I had way too many cold meat loaf sandwhices. 

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:06 pm »
There are advantages to gas water heaters.  And I'm definitely getting a gas stove.  I had way too many cold meat loaf sandwhices.

Glad to hear you have heat again.

+1 on the gas water heater.  When hurricane Isabelle came through in 2003, we were without power for 5 days.  We really appreciated having a gas water heater and gas stove!

coke

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:56 pm »
Natural gas powered generator?  :scratch:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:20 pm »
Natural gas powered generator?  :scratch:

I had one of those at a house I rented a couple of years ago.  It worked perfectly.  It was the only winter when Pepco kept the power on.  I wonder how much those things cost?

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:26 pm »

When I lived in Julesburg, Colorado we got snowed in real good at least once every winter, the gas stove was the appliance that kept us alive until the power returned (along with the schnapps).

In the mid '70's our company built a house outside Burlington, Colorado in the middle of a quarter section. We lived on site in a trailer and one winter the owner had to dig us out with his loader. Because trailer doors open out we were really snowed in, I had to slide out a window onto the snow drift to shovel the door clear.

Great times back then.

Wayne

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:41 pm »
I grew up in rural Minnesota and have quite a few snow-related memories.  While in high school, I got a part-time job (50 cents an hour) collecting eggs on a chicken farm.  One winter, we had a blizzard on April 17th and another on about the 23rd.  The snow drifts were so deep, probably 20 - 30 feet tall, I had to shovel to get down into the second story window to collect eggs.  I don't have photos, but the memories are etched in my brain. 

Spring came late that year.

- Jim

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:51 pm »

Come on, Dennis, how cold can it get down there :lol:?  You're in the south, not International Falls, MN......  :green:

Glad power has been restored for you guys! :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2011, 09:17 pm »
Come on, Dennis, how cold can it get down there :lol:?  You're in the south, not International Falls, MN......  :green:

Glad power has been restored for you guys! :thumb:

OK--so it was a balmy 56 degrees inside with the fireplace stoked.   But it was REALLY hard to find the cork screw when the flashlight went out. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2011, 09:51 pm »
OK--so it was a balmy 56 degrees inside with the fireplace stoked.   But it was REALLY hard to find the cork screw when the flashlight went out.

There are times when a man has to push the cork in.  Desperate times require desperate measures... :oops: 8)

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm »
There are times when a man has to push the cork in.  Desperate times require desperate measures... :oops: 8)

Oh--you noticed the wine stains on my shirt last time you were over.  The cork push can be messy. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2011, 03:12 am »
In Vermont we spent a night with my brother in law in their mobile home, had quite a snow storm that evening and when we got up we could not open the door and I noticed the sunlight was kind of muted. We kept beating on the door and it started to crack open and it was snow over the top of the door! All the pop out windows would not pop open !!!

It took an hour or so 'spooning' in snow into the sink and toilets to eventually getting out of the front door. The sight was amazing, we got 48 inches of snow and it drifted up and over the trailer....What an eerie feeling!

We were young and just though it was a really neat thing!!

Alex

-20 below!

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:27 pm »
It looks like another storm is brewing...jeez.  I hope you don't get buried/are without power again, Dennis.  We're expecting up to 2 feet here by Wednesday afternoon; what are you all expecting?

coke

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:12 pm »
I'm in Oklahoma and we're expecting some ice, sleet, and up to 1' of snow

I plan on throwing paddle tires on my 4wheeler and having some fun :thumb:

hikinokie

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2011, 08:07 pm »
Where at coke? I'm in Tulsa :thumb:

coke

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2011, 08:21 pm »