Stand-Ins for Speaker Stands

JohnR

Re: Stand-Ins for Speaker Stands
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:18 pm »
I'm not averse to concrete blocks... I expect that most rooms/positioning will swamp variations caused by the "extended" baffle. I'd suggest doing in-room measurements before breaking out into a sweat over it.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:20 pm »
Plus those Pangea ones...thats a downright steal....I don't even need stands and I even checked them out....

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jan 2011, 06:40 pm »
The minuets are pretty small. Should I get 28 inch high stands?

srb

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2011, 07:02 pm »
You generally want the tweeter at ear level (some speaker manufacturers might give a slightly different recommendation), so measure your ear height from the floor when in your preferred seat and get the stand height that will put the Minuet tweeter at the level.

It will obviously vary for different height people and their respective furniture seat, but the conductor gets the optimum setup !

Steve

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2011, 07:58 pm »
It will obviously vary for different height people and their respective furniture seat, but the conductor gets the optimum setup !

Steve

Do I get to ride in the caboose?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jan 2011, 02:57 am »
Two small slabs of granite will cost more than the Pangea stands.

coolsax

« Reply #26 on: 6 Feb 2011, 09:25 pm »
so does anyone have the Pangea stands.. I'm thinking about ordering them this week. but didn't know if anyone has any experience with them.. will be placing Ascend Sierra-1s on them.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 6 Feb 2011, 11:55 pm »
They look too small/lightweight for the Sierras IME.  The stands Ascend Acoustics sell to match the Sierras cost $140/pair, but are solid pedestals, provide the same footprint as the speaker, and weigh the same as the speakers (20 pounds each).

Had a 4 pound cat knock over a 20" x 10" x 10" speaker on 12" stand.   :(

Now have another small cat with Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s on 30" stands (and she jumps on top of the speakers).    :evil:

coolsax

« Reply #28 on: 7 Feb 2011, 12:49 am »
yeah that's my main concern, however they do state they can hold up to 30 lbs per speaker.. .. for as cheap as they are its probably at least worth the try.  I don't really like the look of the pedestals from Ascend for the Sierra's.  hmmm

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #29 on: 7 Feb 2011, 01:10 am »
Would these Pangea stands be a good match for Quad 12L2 speakers? What is the next notch up in quality/price?

coolsax

« Reply #30 on: 18 Feb 2011, 02:52 am »
I wanted to say I got the Pangea stands in this week and at just under 50 bucks including shipping I am very happy with them.  Though I didn't fill them with Sand, you can do so to weigh them down if you are worried about them tipping over.   You have to put them together yourself and all tools and supplies are included.  they are not perfect as the tubes are not perfectly parallel with each other nor are they symmetrical with each other, but the main thing is that they still look good and are level so that the speakers are level when you place them on top.  You also have to attach the spikes yourself as well, so you need to make sure that the screws are fairly even. 

Performace:  They work great, my Sierras fit on them very well and stick to the Included rubber bumps that you can attach to the stands, i would guess for isolation purposes.  I also noticed an immediate improvement in the sound from having been on top of a pair of Polk LS50s for the last 2 months.  the bass seemed more detailed and with the tweeters now on ear level the soundstage seemed to open up as well.  again this probably would have happened with any set of stands, but now i understand that I really shouldn't have had these on floorstanders to begin with.  Anyway.  these things are a great Cheap and Cheerful Item especially at 29.99 +shipping for metal stands.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #31 on: 18 Feb 2011, 05:03 am »
Sounds good, Coolsax. I won't need spikes because the stands will be on a wood floor. What is the next step up or two from these stands, while remaining affordable?

srb

« Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2011, 05:49 am »
Dayton SSMB24 24" stands (Reg. $96.67, $69.50 until 2/28/11)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-750

Pangea DS03 24" / 28" stands ($99.99 / $109.99)
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS03

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #33 on: 18 Feb 2011, 03:32 pm »
I use 20" Atlantis stands someone on here was selling..very solid,i was extremely lucky, timing is  :wink:   everything.

DannyT

« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2011, 07:16 pm »
Dayton SSMB24 24" stands (Reg. $96.67, $69.50 until 2/28/11)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-750

Pangea DS03 24" / 28" stands ($99.99 / $109.99)
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGDS03
 Steve

They looked very much the same except for taller floor spikes on the Pangea->more stable on carpet.

How do VTI stand below compare to the Pangea? Anyone seen both?

http://www.racksandstands.com/VTI-DF-VI1045.html?cv

coolsax

« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2011, 07:34 pm »
also with the pangea stands.  you can turn the spikes over and use the other end for use on hard surface. 

hifitommy

parts express
« Reply #36 on: 18 Jul 2011, 03:45 am »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #37 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:49 am »

I use wooden plant stands painted white for these outdoor Axioms

Poultrygeist

« Reply #38 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:23 am »

These Aerial Model 5's are sitting on a pair of DIY TNT Stubbies. I've probably built a dozen pair of these PVC stands and the neat thing is you can cut them to perfectly fit your speaker. In this case I used some oak trim molding to add contrast to the all black stands and speakers. They're sand filled and very heavy. I can't see myself ever buying stands when these are so easy and cheap to build.