How to convert DD to stereo PCM

cliffy

How to convert DD to stereo PCM
« on: 25 Jan 2011, 11:23 pm »
I have a Comcast Motorola DCX3400 cable box that has Coax and Toslink digital audio outputs.  I want to input this signal to my Jaton RC2000S preamp.  The preamp's DAC can only accept a PCM digital signal.

Is there a device that can convert the DD output of the cable box into PCM?  The cable box does not allow a PCM downmix over the digital audio outputs.  It does allow it over HDMI.  I may have to get an audio breakout from the HDMI but would rather avoid this due to possible handshake issues.

Many thanks for your advice.

JP78

Re: How to convert DD to stereo PCM
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:54 am »
cliffy,

Altona makes a an HDMI de-embedder that strips the audio from an HDMI signal and passes it separately out as a digital audio signal. It's not cheap at (I think) around $300 but it will perform the job you describe. I use this for the cable TV audio to go to my audio DAC and it works very well with no handshake issues.

Good luck,

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:15 am »
The de-embedder at Monoprice is under $44

cliffy

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:19 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I was starting to think I posted either in the wrong circle or the worst question ever :o

I ended up purchasing the 4 analog input version of the pre-amp instead of the 2 digital / 3 analog one.  Jaton RC2000P.

When (if?) I get a DAC I will have to revisit.

Thanks again for the suggestions.  Greatly appreciated.