Any VR3 owners out there?

deauguie

Any VR3 owners out there?
« on: 24 Jan 2011, 02:54 am »
Hi All,

As a new member and frequent guest to this circle, I have not seen much discussion on VR3's.  I have been a happy owner of a pair of these for over 10 years.  I have used them in large and small rooms with great results.  Any one else have experience, good or bad, with these spearkers?

JackD201

Re: Any VR3 owners out there?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2011, 05:08 pm »
Ceedee, the Benelux distributor of VSA kept one for his own home. I remember reading somewhere that Albert considers the VR-3 to be one of his favorite designs. Personally I've never heard a pair but would like to sometime.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2011, 10:02 pm »
Hello Jack, you have quite a good memory.

To be correct, I have a set of VR 3.5 but I know the VR 3 as one of the finest that time. Read the review from the HIFI magazine in Sweden.

http://www.vonschweikert.com/reviews/HIFIMUSIKVR3.htm

Cor

deauguie

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2011, 11:17 pm »
Thanks Cor...I hadn't seen this particular review.  And Jack, if you are in the Kentuckiana area or get by here from time to time, you are welcome to stop by for a listen.

It's good to know that Albert thinks highly of this model.  I seldom see them available for sale and always felt it was because owners really liked them.

If you guys or anyone else wants to know more about my experience with these speakers, and/or my system, let me know.  I would be happy to share.

Dan

Tan Daniel

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2011, 01:28 am »
Good day,

I still have the VR-3 in my living room playing atleast once a week driven by Passlab Aleph 3. Have owned it since 1996 and is one of the best speakers of its class. Detail, transparent and deep low bass. Albert did a wonderful work on this speakers.  No plans of selling it although I have the VR-33 in my showroom.

Cheers,
Dan.

deauguie

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2011, 11:30 pm »
I agree Tan.  My experience has been pretty much the same...transparent, spacious, and deep base for such a moderate size speaker.

For the record, I am driving these with a Krell KAV300i, XLO cables, sourced with a Meridian 588, a VPI Scout through a Phonomena II, and a FT101 Etude FM Tuner.  I must admit, the sound in my larger room in CT was much different than in this smaller room, but I am tweeking as  we speak, and the sound gets better and better. and YES..I won't be selling these speakers anytime soon.

Dan

Tan Daniel

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2011, 02:26 am »
Dan,

Down the road if you think of upgrading your speakers, pls do check out the VR-33. It is a complete different speaker from the VR-3. Bass goes really low, tight and fast. Soundstaging is huge and tall. You will be surprised what this speaker can do. For the money , no one beats it IMO. Check it out at your nearest dealer there.  I'm about to order a VR-35 export model for my customer here.

Cheers .

deauguie

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2011, 10:34 pm »
Tan,

Good Advice.  I wish there was a dealer nearby, but alas there isn't.  Maybe someday.

Dan 

Kroon

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2011, 05:51 pm »
Hi

I am new member also!,  I´m a owner of a pair of VR3's.
Just loves the sond of them.

Dan
SWEDEN

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2011, 12:59 pm »
Welcome Kroon :)

Kroon

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2011, 01:31 pm »
Thanks Jack! :D

Wonder also i anyone knows if VSO have spareparts for VR3´s .
For example new cloth for the loudspeaker fitting right on.

/Dan
From SWEDEN/

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2011, 02:21 pm »
Albert has sold a lot of his speakers in Europe.  Good to hear from our buddies on the other side of the pond  :thumb:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2011, 07:26 pm »
Thanks Jack! :D

Wonder also i anyone knows if VSO have spareparts for VR3´s .
For example new cloth for the loudspeaker fitting right on.

/Dan
From SWEDEN/

Hi Dan,

I still have a set of topcaps in dark cherry.
Cloth can be ordered at customerservice@vonschweikert.com

Regards,

Cor

deauguie

« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2011, 03:00 pm »
Dan,

I just replaced the cloth on my VR3's.  Found speaker grill cloth at a local joann fabrics store.  You might be able to order on line, and there are a lot of sites that sell speaker cloth.  When I contacted VSA, they suggested I have a seamstress do it for me because it would be cheaper.  It cost me less than $50 US to do it myself.

If you have a sewing machine, just remove the cloth on the speakers and measure the speaker for height, circumference, and cut outs for the port and terminals.  Then sew the seam just like on the one you removed and slip over the speaker.  At VSA's recommendation, I used 3M Super 77 to adhere cloth to the top and bottom plate.  Also, when using the super 77, first apply a thin coat to the speaker, let it tack up, and apply a second coat and adhere the cloth.  Mine look like new!!!

Dan   

Dan

Kroon

« Reply #14 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:45 pm »
Thanks!
For the tip cor and Dan. :thumb:

//Dan
from SWEDEN/

Kroon

« Reply #15 on: 8 Feb 2011, 01:12 pm »
Have another question about Vr3´s . Are there any uppgrades for them?
New filters, mebranes or so.

//Dan
From SWEDEN/

JackD201

« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2011, 12:59 am »
They were upgradable to 3.5 status way back when but doubt that the parts for that upgrade are still available.

Best to contact VSA directly, but please let us know how things progress.  :D