What is the best blu-ray combo player that has component outs and rca l/r outs?

Huck

Hi: I am looking at the new Oppo BDP-95 blu-ray player,but it may be a little too much machine for my 11 year old Sony 52" rptv(component video in's) and my Denon two-channel receiver(rca analogue in's). I would like the unit to be able to stream Netflix.
  Component video and rca out's are my main priority,Netflix is secondary. Audio quality is also priority,video quality is secondary also. Any machines in mind? Thanks,Keith
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2011, 09:36 pm by Huck »

Phil A

Keith, if you plan to keep the TV for at least a few years you may wish to check out this - http://www.hdfury.com/

Huck

Hey Phil:
     Interesting site! I think I would rather go all analogue(component video and RCA audio). I am more concerned more about the audio qualitythan video. HDMI is neater(less cables),but I don't want to get too complicated,as I don't know how long my antique sony will last! No problems yet,but who knows! Any blu-rays that have the basic component video outs,plus rca audio outs? Thanks,Keith

Phil A

The BDP-95 will be good for audio but as you noted it may be a overkill on the video side.  You could do a BDP-93 (which will still be overkill on the video side and get a DAC and an HDMI audio de-embedder.  There's a long thread in the Hi-Res Music Circle

Phil A

The thread is right below yours (as of now) and starts here: - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0

The cheapest de-embeder is under $50

srb

Once you add a DAC that would be appreciably better than the DAC in the BDP-93, you would be approaching the cost of the BDP-95.  Although the BDP-95 is not yet available, I would be hard pressed to come up with a $500 DAC that would sound as good as the BDP-95 should sound.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
My 11 year old son is using a PS3. It not only does Netflix and Bluray, but also CD, DVD, and oh yea, it does video games too. We bought it for him with a half dozen games for $100. Found it in the classified section here on AC.

Available outputs are Component, composite, HDMI or DVI via various inexpensive cables. The component cable you're talking about can be purchased on Monoprice for like $5.

Bob

Phil A

One could always get a used DAC.  It also depends on whether you never see a need for more than one source hooked to it.  For someone who wants an all-in-one machine the BDP-95 may be the way to go.

Huck

Thanks. Any other player I should be checking out? I Oppo seems like a good brand from what I read different places.Thanks,Keith
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2011, 09:51 pm by Huck »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
I just reread your first post about needing a player for your 11 year old Sony.
Not your 11 year old's Sony.   :duh:  :roll:

My recommendation still stands, however.

Bob

Huck

Thanks! I have decided on the new Oppo BDP-95 when it comes out and I hope the picture quality will be o.k. when watching on my 10 year old 53" Sony rptv! Way overkill on the video,I know,but I will be all set for something better when the big Sony finally dies. The Sony has component video in's,so at least that is compatible with the Oppo. I have never seen or heard a Blu-ray picture or audio(two-channel is all I have),more interested in the audio side,then comes the video.Should be interesting!Thanks all...Keith