Peachtree Audio Nova's Tube Pre-Amp Stage

Mike Nomad

Peachtree Audio Nova's Tube Pre-Amp Stage
« on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:47 am »
Since the Peachtree Nova is a hybrid integrated amp w/DAC, I'm not sure where this should go...

I had to replace the tube in my Nova, after a little more than a year of moderate use (a couple of hundred hours, at the most).

The stock tube was (in retrospect) absolute cr*p: 6922EH (Electro-Harmonix), made in Russia, in January of 2009.

My replacement tube is a late-1962 GE 6DJ8 (made in Owensboro KY). A major sonic upgrade (completely unexpected), and less than $30. What it does different from the stock tube:

1/ Better detail overall. Instruments and background noise (squeaky chairs, etc.) previously unheard, are now in the mix.

2/ A more subtle job of taking the digital jag out of poorly mastered discs.

3/ Soundstage opens up. Both width and depth.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2011, 09:19 pm by Mike Nomad »

mca

Re: Peachtree Audio Nova's Tube Pre-Amp Stage
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2011, 06:04 pm »
I'm ready to try a new tube in my Nova, where did you purchase the GE?

Mike Nomad

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2011, 10:32 pm »
I'm ready to try a new tube in my Nova, where did you purchase the GE?

I go through a local (Marv's Electronics - Houston, TX) repair guy. He doesn't keep stock, and I don't know who he is sourcing from. Marv's requires payment in advance, and they don't take orders via phone/computer.

pwag

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2011, 10:56 pm »
Greetings, first posting. I also want to replace the stock tube in my Nova.

Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_63&products_id=510

Mike Nomad

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2011, 05:28 pm »
Greetings, first posting. I also want to replace the stock tube in my Nova.

Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_63&products_id=510

First of all, welcome.

That is the tube I'm talking about. Understand that _exactly_ what I have is not what are in the picture in your link:

While the date/manufacture codes are mostly obscured in the picture, the Kl visible on the second tube looks like an older manufacturing code, with the date code 58-6 (maybe?).

Also note that only the middle tube is marked as made in the US. A couple of the other ones have the markings (ECC88) for european manufacture.

I am not suggesting that what is pictured is inferior to what I have. They may even be better. I would ask the seller for the markings on the tube, and then go out on the web and look around. You'll find plenty of discussion, talking about the strengths (and weaknesses) associated with particular manufactures, specific production plants, and vintages.

Mike

pwag

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2011, 06:10 pm »
Mike -- thanks for all the information and pointing out the differences.  Best, Peter

jlafrenz

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2011, 03:08 am »
What other tubes has anyone tried in the Peachtree units?

Sam-fi

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:49 am »
I used a 1960's Amperex tube and I noticed appreciable differences to the highs - becoming both sweeter and more extended in my Nova (over stock). Cymbals had greater shimmer and detail. Brass had a better bite and sweeter/lusher sound. I didn't notice a big change in frequencies below the upper-midrange though over the stock tube.

Sam

wgscott

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2011, 03:09 pm »
I had to replace the tube in my Nova, after a little more than a year of moderate use (a couple of hundred hours, at the most).

The stock tube was (in retrospect) absolute cr*p: 6922EH (Electro-Harmonix), made in Russia, in January of 2009.

I bought my Nova a year ago, but it was a store demo, so presumably has some more hours on it.  So far the stock tube is still going, but it makes me wonder whether replacing it now with something better might be worthwhile.

It also makes me wonder whether you had a defective tube.

However, when I toggle between the tube and solid-state preamp circuits, I hear absolutely no difference.  Nada.  Not a hair.  (I have the Nova connected to a 2010 Mac mini via either glass optical or a Halide Bridge (USB/Coax), and play mostly lossless or 256 kbps sampled AAC.  The speakers are Bowers and Wilkins CM7.)

I worry that if I cannot hear a difference between a "crap" tube and the solid state circuit now, I won't ever hear a difference.  Am I being paranoid?  Did you hear a difference when you bypassed the tube?

Sorry for the necropost but this seems recent enough not to warrant a new thread.

wgscott

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2011, 01:03 am »
Anyone?

Now I have a DIY Class D Audio amp, and +/- tube is more discernable, and now I am more aware of the EH limitations...

Nels Ferre

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2011, 01:07 am »
I tried a NOS Amperex 7308 with the one I owned. Differences with the tube in and out of the circuit were extremely minor. I was told that the tube to get is a NOS Siemens 6922. The Siemens runs $130 or so at the "major" tube vendors.

walfredo

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2013, 02:09 pm »
FWIW, I tried six different tubes and I could only notice very subtle differences.  I ended up setting with the Amperex ECC88 Orange Globe.

ratbbb2

« Reply #12 on: 6 Aug 2013, 03:21 pm »
Hello All I am looking into the purchase of a DAC pre and am Considering the peachtree . Was wondering what your longterm thoughts are on theis unit and if any have compaired it to my current
Benchmark DAC 1.
 Any suggestions will be concidered
 Thanks Roger