Icon-2 Drive Mark and Daniel Minis?

bmichael

Icon-2 Drive Mark and Daniel Minis?
« on: 21 Jan 2011, 09:52 pm »
I just got an Icon-2 in the mail today (yay). I got it primarily because it combines DAC/headphone amp/amp (duh). As you may already infer, I'm pretty new at this audio stuff. I have my eye on getting a pair of Mark and Daniel Minis after reading 6moons on the line. According to 6moons' review of the Rubies, which are larger, the Icon-1 should drive them. But it seems like some people have a hard time driving the Rubies with an Icon.

The Minis are smaller. Here are the specs,

Nominal Impedance:    3-6 Ohms
Average Efficiency:       82.5 dB/2.83V/1m
Power Handling:             ≧ 60 Watts per channel

Can the Icon-2 drive these at a 'good' volume? If anyone has any idea, thanks very much.

bmichael

Re: Icon-2 Drive Mark and Daniel Minis?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2011, 05:45 pm »
A follow-up. Could someone please maybe lay out to me how the Icon-2 differs from the HDP? I just got a pair of HD650s, and I'm wondering if I should rather have bought an HDP rather than the Icon-2.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2011, 06:32 pm »
Although the Ruby is larger than the Mini, they both have efficiencies of 82.5dB (one of the lower efficiency speakers you can find), therefore the power requirement for either would be the same.  Mark & Daniel recommends 60W/channel as a minimum.  The NuForce Icon-2 outputs 18W/ch @ 8 ohm and 24W/ch @ 4 ohm (both at 1% THD).  This does not sound like a really great match to me.

The Icon-2 is an integrated amplifier with a USB DAC and a headphone output.  The HDP is a higher quality USB DAC and headphone amplifier with preamp outputs only, and must be used with an external power amplifier to drive speakers.

Steve

ltr317

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2011, 09:29 pm »
I agree with Steve.  I've had several Mark & Daniels speakers on loan, and they are power hungry.  You will not be satisfied using the Icon with any of the M & D speakers, unless you only play music softly and don't care about dynamics.  I drove them with 100 wpc solid state and 50 wpc tube amps, and both were barely adequate. 

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2011, 10:16 pm »
Agreed.
I had the Rubies as well and got the best response using an Anthem 225 WPC integrated.
A big wall of sound.

bmichael

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:21 pm »
Ok, well thanks for replying. Little confused about this 6moons review, then http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce7/icon_2.html He's just straight up lying? Or just an idiot?

sauerball

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2011, 07:12 am »
I read that review as well.  He's definitely not lying, and he's not an idiot.  David Kan did another, more in depth review and did not like the original Icon with the M&Ds.

I tried TWO original Icons with my M&D Minis and it just wasn't enough power.  I am looking at them now, driven with a pair or Ref 8s.  That's enough power.

I have a pair of Ref 9 SE V3 driving my M&D Sapphires and they feel like just enough.  If you are going with the M&Ds (which I really like), bring plenty of current.