A message from Wendell at Magnepan

jk@home

Re: A message from Wendell at Magnepan
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:27 pm »
I can't believe those MMGs have been around that long I think I had mine for a few years after 2002 or so

Yeah you're right, now that I think about it, it was 05'. Damn this cold medicine :? :D

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:34 pm »
I do the same thing but I think it's just old age in my case. 

jk@home

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:45 pm »
I'll have to fall back to that excuse next week  :green:

trout2

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2011, 03:05 pm »
:D  hey guys,does anyone make cross-overs for the 3.6's in a bolt-on style or do you send in the old one and they mod them ????? i would love to get better x-over parts to hear the dif !!!!! thks Pat in 2 feet snow pile ......Canada of course..... :D

Contact Parts ConneXtion in Toronto - mine are as you say plug and play. Huge improvement. The stock boxes are not used. For the quality of parts that you want,  everything goes inside metal component looking boxes which are about 14" by 10" ... and in my case are placed on the floor about 6" behind each Maggie.

trout2

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2011, 04:10 pm »
  However, a maximally tweaked 3.6 or 1.6 from the factory that extracts everything from the speaker would most certainly be attractive to a large number of audiophiles.

This will never - ever - happen. They don't have the resources to do this, and they would lose a pile of money attempting this.  Hell, WD once told me "We don't believe that better quality fuses or even removing the fuses all together makes our speakers sound any better" ..... 

TitaniumTroy

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:35 am »
I called Wendell Diller today to ask his opinion on how much of an improvement, active crossovers & bi-amping would make on my 3.6's. He stated that while an improvement, they would still not be a 3.7. So ok, but then he told that the 3.7's cannot be bi-amped. Then like a dolt, I forgot to follow up and ask why  :duh:

Davey

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2011, 04:17 pm »
I think the 3.7's may have a series crossover of some sort.  That might explain his comment about not being able to bi-amp them.

However, that wouldn't stop a knowledgeable DIY'er.  Any speaker system that has multiple drivers can be bi(tri)-amped.  :)

Dave.

trout2

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jan 2011, 08:57 pm »
I called Wendell Diller today to ask his opinion on how much of an improvement, active crossovers & bi-amping would make on my 3.6's. He stated that while an improvement, they would still not be a 3.7. So ok, but then he told that the 3.7's cannot be bi-amped. Then like a dolt, I forgot to follow up and ask why  :duh:

Well - what would you expect Wendell to say ..... He wants (needs) those 3.7's to sell baby. I doubt that stock 3.7's would better 3.6's w/active crossovers / bi amping / Mye Stands etc... IMO - no way.

josh358

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:49 am »
Magnepan has always provided great value in their products and I truly love them. However, there are a million tweaks to their speakers for good reason...they are providing only a fraction of what can be extracted from the speaker. I wish they offered a turnkey solution for those of us that really don't want to mess with the crossovers and have to build new stands for them. Price point is also not the only thing Magnepan should consider. The 20.1 is almost as large as a sail and I would venture to guess that a great number of audiophiles with plenty of money would not be able to accommodate the 20.1's due to their size. However, a maximally tweaked 3.6 or 1.6 from the factory that extracts everything from the speaker would most certainly be attractive to a large number of audiophiles.

I really wish Magnepan would make a small room speaker using their high end technology -- true ribbon and push-pull midrange and bass. Something that would cross over at 80 Hz. Mye stands and better crossovers are something I'm less concerned about, since those (or better yet Mye stands plus active crossover) can always be added later on by those who want them. How about a modular Tympani? You could separate the mid/tweeter from the bass panels in the Tympani IVA. So design a new mid-tweeter panel that goes down to 80 Hz, and can be used with the Maggie woofers, a conventional sub, or optional woofer panels that run from 20-80.

mjdconn

« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2011, 07:23 pm »
I've always been a Magenpan lover... owner of the 3.6R and am waiting for the 3.7 auditions!

Previous member, "ajzepp" aka Monkey Lover, mentioned Marchand crossover and bi-amping.   I'm about to bi-amp my 3.6R's and wanted to know what Low Pass and High Pass settings worked best for you?  I plan to use the XM44 modules.

Most interested...

ajzepp

« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2011, 07:13 am »
I've always been a Magenpan lover... owner of the 3.6R and am waiting for the 3.7 auditions!

Previous member, "ajzepp" aka Monkey Lover, mentioned Marchand crossover and bi-amping.   I'm about to bi-amp my 3.6R's and wanted to know what Low Pass and High Pass settings worked best for you?  I plan to use the XM44 modules.

Most interested...

What I did was look in the 3.6 manual and provide Monsieur Marchand the crossover points that Magnepan recommends. In addition to that, he'll suggest alternate settings and can provide you the modules so that you can try more than one configuration. I actually contacted him recently about this very issue, because when I moved last year I lost the original box and materials for the XM44, which included his alternate modules. So I never got to try them out and see which I preferred, but he's able to send a replacement set for about $40. If you try settings other than the Magnepan recs, please let me know how things work out!  :thumb:

TitaniumTroy

« Reply #31 on: 8 Jun 2011, 07:39 pm »
Thanks for the info.

dazzdax

« Reply #32 on: 7 Aug 2011, 04:15 pm »
To Wendell Diller: Hi Wendell, is it worth the costs to use two pairs of 3.7's? Do you get more and lower bass with two pairs (a bit like the Tympani)? Has someone tried this configuration?

Chris

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #33 on: 7 Aug 2011, 10:27 pm »
The word is on dual 3.7s is:

In a REALLY big room, this has worked in past years.
But, I don't recommend it because image and phase is compromised.