6V6- "You gotta try these______6V6's"

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
6V6- "You gotta try these______6V6's"
« on: 18 Jan 2011, 11:22 pm »
 My new/old amp takes 6V6 tubes and I've been reading some threads and Tung Sol comes up a lot and "its a Russian tube" comes up a lot. So far I have the stock tubes it came with and some "JJ" 6V6's, what are a couple "must try" tubes to start my journey, and any web links you may have to them if possible.
 My DAC takes 5670's and my fav is the -GE Red 5 Star 5670- followed by the -WE396A- to give you an idea of the sound I like even though these are different animals. TY in advance!!! :dance:

wywires

Re: 6V6- "You gotta try these______6V6's"
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2011, 12:57 am »
I like the Visseaux 6V6GT from the early 60's. Great tube if you can find em at a decent price.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2011, 01:42 am »
The Tungsol re-issues of today are super...very happy with them here  :thumb:

Here's a test that will help you cut thru some of the mustard: http://thetubestore.com/6v6review.html

John

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2011, 02:53 am »
Thanks for the link John...Tung Sol it is then for me first off then- they are reasonable also. Alex where do you find Visseaux tubes??

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2011, 12:55 pm »
The thing about thetubestore reviews to keep in mind is that all their reviews I've seen have been done using guitar amps which may have an entirely different set of criteria than audio.  Buy them and try them, for sure, but just keep that in mind when sorting their reviews.

You might also send Blair at Niteshade a PM.  He's made some 6V6 amps in the past and may have some good recommendations.

rivieraranch

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:42 am »
You should contact Jim Mcshane for the Tung Sol reissues. The JJ 6V6's are crud. I had a pair die on me with only a hundred hours or so.

ken

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2011, 05:49 pm »
This thread just got me thinking:  My Tad 1000s have 4 el34 output tubes but also have 2 6v6 tubes as well and their application according to Paul is " A single parallel-wired 12AX7 dual triode drives a pair of triode mode 6V6’s for the high voltage audio signal amplifiers"  The amps came with el34s to use in the 6v6 sockets which I have been using since buying the amps several years ago with no problems.  would I realize any sonic benefit using a pair of 6v6 tubes instead?  Just kind of curious

AnalogTubes

• Industry Participant
  • Tubes and custom tube sets.
    • AnalogTubes.com
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2011, 04:01 am »
I find the Tung-Sols excellent but by far the new Genalex 6V6s are amazing.  We've been recommending the Genalex to anyone that is looking for a serious improvement in their system.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2011, 06:13 am »
I like the Visseaux 6V6GT from the early 60's. Great tube if you can find em at a decent price.

Now there's a man who knows his 6V6's. straight bottle or st shaped?. :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:33 pm »
I ordered some Tung Sol's and they are on the way.....I'm psyched!!! :thumb:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:23 am »
I ordered some Tung Sol's and they are on the way.....I'm psyched!!! :thumb:

Yeah, they're very solid sounding - hard to not like 'em.

The original Sylvania's in my 6V6 amp had a deeper, more throaty/weighty bass (which was pleasant to me)....but these Tung-Sol's are very, very good all around as replacement.

Enjoy - John

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2011, 05:25 am »
The tubestore has well "blown me away" and I didn't even get the tubes yet.
Ordered Sunday  shipped Monday scheduled for tomorrow (Wed) from Canada to Allentown.   Not bad!!!!!! :D

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2011, 04:02 pm »
The Tung Sol's are in the house, in the system, and smiles have been seen everywhere. Thanks guys!!! :thumb: