Stacking Amps

Fullvolume

Stacking Amps
« on: 18 Jan 2011, 01:30 pm »
What is the minimum amount of open space an amp should have in order to 'breathe'.
I what to place 2 7B's one on top of the other with maybe a spacer of some sorts or is this a bad idea all together.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2011, 08:37 pm by Fullvolume »

Levi

Re: Stacking Amps
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2011, 01:37 pm »
I would say at least several inches.  I had mine stacked before and works fine.  Currently, I have mine as close to the speakers as possible using short speaker wires to take the advantage of having mono amps.

Stacked 7B

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2011, 02:07 pm »
Generally 1 3/4 inches is considered adequate as long as there is reasonable air circulation around the amps.

james

Napalm

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2011, 06:49 pm »
How about stacking them side by side in vertical position? (i.e. rotate the previous pic 90 degrees)

Nap.  :scratch:

srb

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2011, 07:06 pm »
How about stacking them side by side in vertical position? (i.e. rotate the previous pic 90 degrees)

The vertical heat sinks are designed for bottom to top convection air flow through the fins.  I'm sure it would work, but I have to think that would be less than optimal orientation.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2011, 07:17 pm »

The vertical heat sinks are designed for bottom to top convection air flow through the fins.  I'm sure it would work, but I have to think that would be less than optimal orientation.

Steve

Correct - the heat sinks are designed to act like a convection chimney - in fact the heat sinks are computer modelled to provide as much efficiency and heat dissipation as possible.  Even changing the space between the fins a little will cause a loss of about 15% efficiency.

James