Headphone user warning? How common is this in the manufacturing process?

charmerci

As I'm on a budget, I bought a cheap Coby mp3 player for when I travel. I've had it since September. I just happened to be looking through the papers and noticed a small slip of paper - it was divided in three different languages. In very tiny print, it says....

"WARNING: Handling the cords on this product will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. WASH HANDS AFTER HANDLING."

It was made in China.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2011, 10:15 pm by charmerci »

srb

Re: How common is this in the manufacturing process?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2011, 05:56 pm »
I have never noticed a warning like that in association with electrical cords, but I might have ignored a small piece of paper with tiny print.  A little further research found some references to PVC:

"Lead is often added to polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic--which coats electrical cords, wire, and cable--to make it more durable and heat-resistant. Research has found that some lead may come to the surface and stick to skin as the cord is handled."

Steve

charmerci

Now I wonder about all the chords - they're all vinyl covered and most likely made in China.

low.pfile

that warning has been around for years. I first saw this associated with kid related headsets (licensed, branded, etc.) . there is likely tons on the web.

adydula

• Restricted
The Christmas tree lights we buy are made in China and it has the lead warning.
I always wash up after handling just to be sure, and or wear some latex gloves.

You would think this would be a non issue at this day and age???

Alex

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
If you're not going to eat it, or smoke it...you will be fine.  :)