T5R Tube Preamp

WEEZ

T5R Tube Preamp
« on: 18 Mar 2004, 01:20 am »
Hey all,

I am interested to learn about the compatability of the T5R with solid state amplifiers. What is the minimum impedence the T5 should see? Is 24k too low? Is there a maximum cable length limitation?

Also- what about source components- for example if a source component has an output impedence of 600 ohms- is that a problem for the T5?

I want to make sure the the electrical synergy in my next system is correct- because as we all know- what sounds great in one case does not always sound great in another. Frank? Larry? Anybody?

Thanks very much in advance...

WEEZ

MikeCTM2

T5R Tube Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2004, 04:43 am »
i got a tube preamp and have no problems with ss amps and so on.  you won't have any problem.      i'm sure you'll still want a more technical analysis

avahifi_lj

T5R Tube Preamp
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2004, 07:15 pm »
Hi:

The T5-SLR is designed to industry standards so you won't have any problems running the input or output loads you listed.  Naturally our systems are designed to accept even difficult loads without running into problems.  We have several people running our T5 series preamps into solid state power amps (like our OmegaStar EX series -- yes, that was a shameless plug) and like the resulting sound.

I assume you are asking about interconnect cables:  The length of the interconnect is dependent on the characteristics of the cable.  If you are using "normal" cables you should have no problems using the common lengths.  If, however, you are using a magic, mystery, or other "special" cable designed to modify the signal the length will depend on such factors as the capacitance in the cable.  In summary, use good cables, but stay away from cables that promise earth shattering performance improvements.

Thanks for your interest in AVA products!

Larry Jenkins

WEEZ

T5R Tube Preamp
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2004, 07:58 pm »
Thank you, Larry

Am I correct that the output impedence of the T5R is 560 ohms- as I think I read on another thread?

No, I am not a believer in magic cables- but that does raise a question. My understanding is, that for interconnect cables (from sources or from a preamp) the main criteria is low capacitance; however for speaker wires, low inductance is the main criteria. Am I correct? (Some cable companies do not like to list the electical specs, so most people don't know what they're buying)

Specifications aren't everything- but they help to form a reasonable starting point :!: .

Thanks again,

WEEZ

avahifi_lj

T5R Tube Preamp
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2004, 08:40 pm »
Hi:

Yes the preamp's output is 560 Ohms.

It is desirable to have low capacitance in both the interconnects and the speaker wire.  You are also correct in that it's hard to know what a set of wires will do if the manufacturer does not or will not publish the specs.  Kind of makes you wonder if there is any real engineering behind the packaging.

By the way, if you need to have long wires we recommend that you increase the length of the speaker wire as it's easier for amplifiers (ours at least) to drive difficult loads.  I have personally ran 15' of speaker wire and 75' of speaker wire using a FetValve amp and noticed not a bit of difference....

Larry

WEEZ

T5R Tube Preamp
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2004, 08:53 pm »
Larry,

Thank you very much.

WEEZ