The King's Speech

Bigfish

The King's Speech
« on: 15 Jan 2011, 08:11 pm »
My wife and I just arrived home after going to see "The King's Speech."  This is truly a wonderful movie and is based on a true story about King George VI.  I believe this film will win many awards and it is certainly the best movie I have seen in a very long time.  If you are looking for a great date movie with your wife or special someone please go to see this one.  You will not be disappointed.   My rating is 4.5 out of 5 stars and only because I would never give out 5 stars.

Ken

Wind Chaser

Re: The King's Speech
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2011, 09:02 am »
Like Rotten Tomatoes, almost all the user reviews at Cinema Clock rate this 9 or 10.  Looks like essential viewing for discriminating movie goers. :thumb:

wilsynet

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2011, 04:41 pm »
Some outstanding performances too.  Not the kind of overwrought script which propels someone to an Oscar nomination, just actors doing their craft really well.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2011, 04:48 pm »
Agreed.  I wasn't all that wound up about going to see it but thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2011, 08:36 am »
I'm not the least bit interested in the British monarchy, its history or its quirky characters; so in spite of all the positive reviews, 10 minutes into it - I was ready to leave - but I stayed.  This film is oddly compelling.  It's 2 hours long but feels much shorter than that. 

Just as The Fighter was based on a true story, so is The King's Speech.  These two films share other similarities revolving around the family, their expectations and personal struggles and triumphs.  As far as cinematography goes, neither of them are what you would call cinematic gems.  There’s no eye candy, but both were well acted and had touching as well as laugh out loud moments.  However for me, The King’s Speech was the better and much more interesting film. Highly and enthusiastically recommended!  :thumb: :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:18 pm »
I've seen this (The King's Speech) yesterday and needless to say it is truly good!  :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:14 am »
Thanks to a break in the snow,,, finally, I went & saw The Kings Speech. And I'm glad I did. It was both excellently directed & casted and I enjoyed every minute. Incredibly tho, a woman in front of me fell asleep and started snoring.  :roll:  That was a 1st for me.  :lol:  While these types of movies aren't really my cup of tea, I've always been a big fan of Colin Firth who played King George VI and Timothy Spall who played Winston Churchill.  This movie's 12 Academy Award nominations are well earned and I suspect it'll be winning quite a few at the Awards ceremony. 4 out of 5 stars.   :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:28 am »
Thanks to a break in the snow,,, finally, I went & saw The Kings Speech. And I'm glad I did. It was both excellently directed & casted and I enjoyed every minute. Incredibly tho, a woman in front of me fell asleep and started snoring.  :roll:  That was a 1st for me.  :lol:  While these types of movies aren't really my cup of tea, I've always been a big fan of Colin Firth who played King George VI and Timothy Spall who played Winston Churchill.  This movie's 12 Academy Award nominations are well earned and I suspect it'll be winning quite a few at the Awards ceremony. 4 out of 5 stars.   :thumb:

Yes, when I went to see it in a full theater outside Chicago and elderly woman next to me fell asleep and started snoring loudly. Her companion did nothing. Finally, the guy in front of her turned around and told her to shut up, in more polite terms, however.

Good movie, but no better than many "Masterpiece Theater" productions from the Brits. For that reason it is surprising it's created such a splash. Big screen versus little screen situation, I suppose, and the much larger audience.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:40 am »

Good movie, but no better than many "Masterpiece Theater" productions from the Brits. For that reason it is surprising it's created such a splash. Big screen versus little screen situation, I suppose, and the much larger audience.

Let's see how this flick fares at the Academy Awards in a few weeks.  :D

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:36 am »
Apparently Harvey Weinstein is lobbying every member of the Academy for The King's Speech to win best everything.

Cheerwino

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2011, 11:42 pm »
Finally saw The King's Speech today and it is definitely worth the money to get a sitter and see with the significant other. Excellent film!

While it is not a large, grandiose period movie, like you may expect, this is one to see in the theater on the big screen. But, do see it while in the theater to better appreciate the cinematography and sound.

Also, the R rating is too prudish. This is really PG-13 and even that is due to one scene of comedic profanity (primarily "the f-word" -f-f-f-fornication!), so I think it's fine for teens and maybe a bit younger. Under 10 would probably be bored, I suppose.

But, a fine film and the best I have seen in quite a while.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2011, 04:32 am »

Let's see how this flick fares at the Academy Awards in a few weeks.  :D

For those who doubted this movie and who watched Colin Firth win the Best Actor in a Leading Role Oscar tonite along with the movie winning other awards during the evening, I can only say I told ya so.  :eyebrows:

Oh yeah,,,,,,, The King's Speech won BEST PICTURE!!!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Jon L

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2011, 05:17 am »
Did Colin Firth make other great movies?  Only remember seeing him in a few light-hearted romantic comedy type movies. 

"King's Speech" was certainly worth seeing and strangily compelling, "charming" even..

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2011, 06:06 am »
Did Colin Firth make other great movies?  Only remember seeing him in a few light-hearted romantic comedy type movies. 

"King's Speech" was certainly worth seeing and strangily compelling, "charming" even..

Check Colin's movie list here. This was his 1st Oscar nomination & win.

Cheers,
Robin

ltr317

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2011, 06:14 am »

I saw Firth played Johannes Vermeer in Girl With A Pearl Earring.  Scarlett Johansson played his muse. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2011, 08:54 am »
TKS is a great movie and the Oscar for best picture well deserved.

stlrman

« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2011, 02:18 pm »
I liked him alot in A Single Man. I also enjoyed the movie!

ltr317

« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2011, 05:37 pm »
I saw the King's Speech last night, and now understand why the movie won four oscars.  Great movie!