27" iMac "target display mode"

Levi

27" iMac "target display mode"
« on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:55 pm »
We bought our son a new 27" iMac for Christmas and I want to use it as an external monitor.  The imac worked flawlessly in "target display mode" when I connected my MBP.  Command + F2 toggles between modes. 

However, my other PC running windows xp does not work even with Apple/Belkin Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter.  My guess is that the PC's AGP video is not mini DisplayPort compliant.

Anyone has a solution?

skunark

Re: 27" iMac "target display mode"
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2011, 04:41 pm »
Display port can connect to DVI with cable adapter but DVI needs more than a cable adapter for it to work.   Best bet is to upgrade you video card on your PC.

chrisby

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2011, 08:14 pm »
our upgrade the PC to MacMini and run your MS OS in a virtual machine  :green:

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:12 pm »
Solutions...solutions...solutions

jaywills

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2011, 12:14 am »
You might consider firing up your iMac's Bootcamp program and cloning whatever MS OS and programs you're trying to run on your iMac on it.  There's ~32 gig limitation on the size of a Bootcamp partition, though (IIRC), so that might be a limiting factor on whatever you're trying to do.  Good luck.  Cordially,

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2011, 12:30 am »
I run Windows (when I have to) in a VMWare Fusion VM. Don't use it much or print from it but it seems basically fine. Only costs 50 bucks.

I'm not sure what your son would think about you hogging his computer though  :lol:

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2011, 01:00 am »
Thanks guys.  My wife once in awhile works from home via vpn, remote desktop etc.  Her vpn software where already configured on the other PC.  To save space I am hoping to use my son's imac as an external monitor. 

Possible solutions:

I can try the VM route and play around with several images.  Thanks John.

Find a mini DisplayPort compliant adapter.

@jaywills, thanks.  I already loaded Windows XP on the new iMac.  It worked on a 250Gb partition.  Hmmm...  She also needs to do a print screen.  The new iMac does not have F13 key (not buying another keyboard). 

Thanks again.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:37 am »
You can drive a DVI monitor from a DisplayPort. You can't drive a DisplayPort monitor from s DVI output.

dave

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2011, 01:51 pm »
You can drive a DVI monitor from a DisplayPort. You can't drive a DisplayPort monitor from s DVI output.

dave

Thanks Dave.  That's what I figured hence this thread.

My understanding is that if the video card is mini DisplayPort compliant then it will work.  Some mini DisplayPort compliant adapter also exists.