The Day Has Arrived

rickweed

The Day Has Arrived
« on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:24 am »
Frank gave me a call this afternoon, informing me that my system was ready to go.  I immediately left work and drove across town with great anticipation.  Frank helped me load the equipment and early this evening I had to give it a try, using my cheap as can be DVD player with this wonderful equipment. (T-7 SLR Preamp, Fet Valve 550 Amp, and a pair of Biro loudspeakers.  Well, as I expected, and even with the cheap CD player and 12" makeshift stands for the speakers, a new world of sound was opened for me.  I see and hear limitless potential for this system and couldn be happier with my purchase.  I could not believe how female voices sounded, such as Diana Krahl, Karrin Allison, and Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks.  I can't wait to get a decent CD player and get into Coltrane Balads and Sonny Rollins Saxaphone Collosus.  I could go on and on, but I just wanted to share my excitement with all of you and to thank Frank in this public forum.  Folks, Frank knows his business and does not BS or have to hype his wonderful products.  

Rickweed (Richard W Trapp) St. Paul, MN

WEEZ

The Day Has Arrived
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2004, 01:03 pm »
Rickweed,

(Frank will love this-)

What kind of wire do you use?

WEEZ

rickweed

wires and other things
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2004, 03:52 am »
Weez

I had a nice long talk with Frank last week and he gave me all the whys and wherefores on wires and interconnects.  I do not understand the electrotalk beyond a certain, very basic point, but he was kind enough to give some analogies that I could infact understand.  I won't invest a fortune in wire and am quite well convinced that at least some of the magic wire is no more than "snake oil" marketing.  I do use Nordost 4 flat for speaker wire and noticed an improvement in my old system over the Monster that I had been using, but that improvement according to Frank is a "difference".  Well, I had the wire left over, so I am using it, but I wouldn't hesitate to say that perhaps any good 14 speaker wire, twisted every foot or so for sheilding and using some good bannanas, would be just as good.  My interconnects are still the left over Monsters at $40 a pair.  No big deal to be sure, but being fairly new to this and quite ignorant on many issues, I am still in the learning process.  In the meantime, I will follow Frank's advice, since the foundation of my system is his equipment.  Who knows what the future holds, but for now I am just enjoying the music, especially the two Norah Jones discs.  I am now using the 3950 dvd player until I decide what I really want, and notice some sibilance problems on some recordings, but I don't think I will mod it.  I will just wait and audition players, leaning at this time for one of the tube output players.  Ok, I'm long winded, so I'll stop.  Good Listening Weez

Rick

WEEZ

The Day Has Arrived
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2004, 02:31 am »
Rickweed,

Sounds like you've got a great set-up with the AVA/Biro combo. While my budget will probably not allow for the T7/FET-VALVE equipment- I am strongly considering a T5 w/ either an Omegastar or similar amplifier.

More wire comments :roll: !!!....

Came across the Cobaltcable website in my continued research on cables and wires. It might be worth a visit to that site for anyone who is interested, as much is said there that echos what Frank and Larry have said and puts it in plain english that non-technical guys like me can half-way understand.

For example: Interconnects with 21pf/ft capacitance which should be good for use from a vacuum tube pre-amp and/or other source equipment. Also: speaker wire with only 1.0 ohm/1000' resistance; .17uh/ft inductance; and 15.1 pf/ft capacitance. With the exception of the inductance rating- looks pretty good to me. Quality terminations too, from what I can gather from their rather low-key sales pitch on their site. Plus 90-day return policy on standard lengths and LIFETIME warranty if you decide to keep them. Interesting....

I am not trying to promote something on this forum- as I have no association with Cobalt, or anybody else who makes wires or equipment. I only mention it here on this circle because it may be of interest to others as it was to me in my continuing quest for a new system that "works". And the info on that site re-enforces what AVA seems to be saying. (BTW- pricing is reasonable too)

Thanks to Frank, Larry, Dave Ellis, and others for their posts here ( and the PM's I've received ). The AVA circle here has enlightened me tremendously, and has been a great help.

I'd be interested in Frank's or Larry's comments on the electrical specs' I quoted above (or anyone elses' comments, as well )- not as a promotion of Cobalt wires- but on whether the electical specs' appear satisfactory.

( Frank will probably tell me that this is overpriced Radio Schack wire- and if so, well, fine  :bawl: )

Sorry to bring this up on your thread, Rickweed. But I've started one too many of my own on this subject. Congratulations on your new AVA/Biro gear. I'm sure you're enjoying it.

WEEZ

rickweed

To Weez
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2004, 01:31 am »
Hi Weez,

Yes, I am enjoying this system very much.  Of course there is more to do, such as the cable thing.  I am now using an inexpensive Nordost speaker cable, and due to room setup, am forced to use 2 25' lengths.  (ouch!, I know)  I am seriously looking at some interconnect that will be priced in line with the cost of my system, say, under $200 per pair.  The Eichmans and PS Audio that Biz mentioned are of interest.  I am still using the el cheapo Toshiba 3950 and can't seem to decide on a cd player, but am leaning toward an Arcam 23T, which has had wonderful press and can be had for a bit over half price, used.  I haven't heard it, but a friend has and had he not bought a $5,000 Music Fidelity player, he would have went for that one.  I guess I don't want to get into that "is my front end ok" thinking.  I simply want to enjoy the music with a moderately priced system, which I consider mine to be.  Weez, the one decision I made and was very happy I made it, was going with the fet valve equipment.  I never have to question myself on should I have went solid state.  Now I am not trying to promote an argument since I fully realize that there is wonderful solid state out there.  I just chose this with Frank's equipment, feeling the fet valve would serve my ears better.  Same thing with his DAC's.  I tried both and vastly preferred the hybrid over the solid state in my system.  Keep in mind though, his solid state got absolutely wonderful reviews.  It's just me.  Anyway thank you for your input and feel free to post cable information or to even pm me with your findings.  That applies to everyone.  I am only hear to share and to learn, never to argue or promote discontent, since I realize that some of these issues can be emotional to some people.  Good listening to all.

Rick