Your 5 favorite all time, all time, take to island, last music you hear Bands!!!

TomS

Not familiar with PFM?

One of the best progressive bands, ever. Arguably the best from Italy (along with Banco).

Just start at the beginning of their catalog.

Storia di un Minuto
Per un Amico
L'isola di Nienti

are all brilliant.

The English versions of Per un Amico and L'isola di Niente (Photos of Ghosts and The World Became the World) are also worth getting, even though some of the material is repeated, the arrangements are different.

Live in the USA (also known as Cook) is a great live performance.

Chocolate Kings is their last "great" release. Jet Lag is quite good and is more in a fusion vein.

Nothing after that is worth getting, IMO, other than a couple of live releases.

If you're not familiar with Italian prog, there's a truly amazing amount of incredible music waiting for you. In many people's opinion, Italian prog is among the best ever produced. PFM, Banco, Le Orme and some others easily rival the best from England.
Wow, PFM brings back some memories... no wait, I can't remember.  Good choice though.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
What is also interesting about this thread is who isn't mentioned -for example The Police. Speaking for myself, if it was me, Andy Summers, Stewart Copeland and Sting on a desert island, pretty soon it would be me, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland... :eyebrows:

RileyD

The Gourds
Jorma Kaukonen
Thelonius Monk
The Band
Fred Eaglesmith

giantsteps

We can take the whole band with us, right?  I'm with Danny on this one.

Ill take...

The Pussycat Dolls...

Well if push came to shove and I was only allowed a significant other of course I'd take

Adriana

Frank

nathanm

I assume the lack of electricity would mean you are only granted a hand-cranked phonograph.  So in that case it would have to be:
Possessed "Beyond The Gates" on vinyl
This album sleeve has an enormous gatefold which could be used as a sun shield.  Also, the phonograph horn could be plugged up and used to collect rainwater, or turned upside down for use as an evaporative seawater distiller.

giantsteps

I assume the lack of electricity would mean you are only granted a hand-cranked phonograph.  So in that case it would have to be:
Possessed "Beyond The Gates" on vinyl
This album sleeve has an enormous gatefold which could be used as a sun shield.  Also, the phonograph horn could be plugged up and used to collect rainwater, or turned upside down for use as an evaporative seawater distiller.

Yes, of course.
I think though some people missed my initial point that an acoustic piano, bongos and an acoustic bass do not require electricity. But as this project evolves and I digest brilliant suggestions such as yours I am getting a little scared.
And , .......the meds.....I'm freaking out. A reliable courier is a must.

nathanm

The real question we should be asking is where exactly IS this island where music lovers are being unceremoniously dumped with no food or water and only a handful of music recordings for supplies?  It seems downright cruel.  If it can be found we should send out a ship to rescue whatever survivors there are.  Although if there are more than one islander it's possible they could have resorted to cannibalism and there actually are a couple of well-fed guys kicking back and listening to the Victrola, albeit with an uneasy sense of guilt.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
The island is ficticious, fantasy and my thought was more along the lines of "the last you music you hear before you pass" but that was too morbid. So its all relative I guess....I recently was in the ER with my ipod and a weak selection of tunes...so I needed to rethink my mix... :thumb: :thumb:

bside123

Too tuff for me to say except for Kind of Blue, for sure.

What he said.  8)

giantsteps

The island is ficticious, fantasy and my thought was more along the lines of "the last you music you hear before you pass" but that was too morbid. So its all relative I guess....I recently was in the ER with my ipod and a weak selection of tunes...so I needed to rethink my mix... :thumb: :thumb:

I live vicariously via restless ....sweaty dreams on many Fantasy Islands.  :thumb:
When I get bored I move.

mort

I live vicariously via restless ....sweaty dreams on many Fantasy Islands.  :thumb:
When I get bored I move.

Sweet pick. 70 islands reserve in the Rock Islands Palau. I will be headed to this island chain in my boat realitively soon. Can we stock each island with a different band and a set of dancing bikini chicks?

azhtnut

No activity recently, but I'll still add to the list:

Steely Dan
Dire Straits
Bruce Springsteen
Counting Crows
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers