Reggae is defined by Peter Tosh.

TheChairGuy

« on: 17 Mar 2004, 03:21 am »
I dig reggae - have for 20 years+ now.  It's so primal - it has roots, mon!

It still sounds great many years after my last struggle with da' mighty spleef :!:  Wish I could say the same for Pink Floyd.

I've seen Black Uhuru, Sly & Robbie, Steel Pulse, Rita Marley and UB40 in concert..and enjoyed them all.  Have albums by Yellowman, Bob Marley, Ziggy Marley...and probably a few others tucked away I've forgotten.

I only lately got into Peter Tosh...wow, have I been missing out.  This man is (was) a musical genius.  For me, he eclipses everyone else in reggae by significant margin.  He bloody taught Bob Marley how to play the guitar!  Like most of these fiery genius', he died a violent death a relatively young age....so we have only his recordings (and covers) to enjoy

Downpressor Man, Equal Rights, Legalize It, You Gotta' Walk and Don't Look Back (with Mick Jagger)...so many great tunes from this musical genius.

I try not to gush too often as musical is such a personal decision, but if any of you haven't heard this man's work and like reggae just a wee bit, you owe it to turn yourself on to an album or two.  

Get Up, Stand Up.  :singing:

WilliamL

« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:29 am »
Yep. Agree.

How about Alpha Blondy? That's gotta be some of the best I have ever heard. He has some junk, but there are two CDs he has that are so perfect, you can't take it out of your player.

WilliamL

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:30 am »
Yep. Agree.

How about Alpha Blondy? That's gotta be some of the best I have ever heard. He has some junk, but there are two CDs he has that are so perfect, you can't take it out of your player.

Daniel

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:47 am »
Tosh is huge.  Don't forget Toots and the Maytals.  Funky Kingston is a classic album.  The Heptones deserve a mention too.  Of course Marley is the ultimate.  I never grow tired of Marley.

jgubman

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2004, 06:51 am »
Ditto on Toots and the Maytals, they do probably the best cover of John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads" ever.

A definate must have in your collection.

And don't forget about Jimmy Cliff or Eek-a-mouse!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2004, 03:25 pm »
Ain't reggae great!...so much of it is good, but I can't believe how long it took me to find Peter Tosh tho.

I saw him perform ...Walk and Don't Look Back with Mick Jagger 20-odd years ago on Saturday Night Live (Grrr-eat  :D ), but never got around to investigating his music deeper.  I deprived myself of 20 years of great tuneage.

Has anyone heard the reggae covers of Songs of the Police out there?  I have the reggae covers of The Beatles and it is waaaay good.  I heard the Police covers at Tower a couple years ago, but didn't buy it then.  Will get around to it soon enough.

:guitar:

randog

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2004, 03:58 pm »
Another Toots fan here. I have an old 65 chevy pickup that I drive just often enough to keep the same cassette in the dash nearly constant. The system sux, but reggae don't mind. It's got Toots and the Maytals greatest, The Harder they Come soundtrack (Jimmy Cliff) and some Bob Marley to fill what was left. My little girls love riding in the Chubby with the reggae. I think one (the truck or reggae music) will remind them of the other forever... and that's pretty cool to me.  8)

Randog

randog

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:21 pm »
Quote from: Bill Laurent
Yep. Agree.

Hey Bill, how 'bout naming those 2 so we don't chance it and end up with the junk?  :D

I prefer the roots/style reggae. The electronic thang in the 80's where reggae was heading at the time is really completely different to me and not of my liking one bit. Experimenting with reggae can be an expensive lesson in buying trash, I've found, so word of mouth definitely peaks my interest. Just like all good music, discovering it is the hardest thing since the real jewels will never get airplay.

Tbadder1

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2004, 06:35 pm »
Love Petey, but can't agree with the proposition that Tosh defines or culminates Reggae.  On the other hand, reggae, rocksteady, ska, etc. has such a fascinating history--Scratch Perry, Studio One, Trojan Records.  Great reading, do some research if you haven't already.  I couldn't pick a definitive artist, but I can pick a definitive lp--Burning Spear's "Marcus Garvey".  So heavy, so authentically Rasta, the realest of the real deals.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2004, 11:33 pm »
Quote from: Tbadder1
Love Petey, but can't agree with the proposition that Tosh defines or culminates Reggae.  On the other hand, reggae, rocksteady, ska, etc. has such a fascinating history--Scratch Perry, Studio One, Trojan Records.  Great reading, do some research if you haven't already.  I couldn't pick a definitive artist, but I can pick a definitive lp--Burning Spear's "Marcus Garvey".  So heavy, so authentically Rasta, the realest of the real deals.

So, maybe I got a little carried away that evening listening  :inlove:

I don't think I have any Burning Spear...may just try some out soon  :!:

Tbadder1

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2004, 03:39 pm »
Dude!  NO APOLOGIES!  IT'S IMPORTANT TO GET CARRIED AWAY!  MUSIC IS MAYBE THE BEST THING ABOUT BEING HUMAN.  I KNOW WHERE YOU'RE COMING FROM; YOU FIND SOMEONE NEW AND IT JUST OPENS YOUR EYES.  AWESOME BABY!