Fiio E5 Headphone amp- surprisingly good.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Fiio E5 Headphone amp- surprisingly good.
« on: 7 Jan 2011, 09:53 am »
I just recently started to investigate headphones seriously and the gear associated with them, the low cost gear that provides the best bang for the buck is my favorite stuff. I have a few sets of phones and was curious about what portable headphone amps did so I picked up a Fiio E5 Headphone Amp for just under $29 shipped. They look exactly like an ipod shuffle...

They have a rechargeable battery installed that uses a mini USB plug on the unit itself and a standard USB plug for charging from your laptop or whatever. The controls are on/off, volume, and two EQ presets (Flat & Bass Boost)...I thought the idea with this type item was all about added gain and in fact that is a feature but what I overlooked was the enhancement to sound quality that could take place. This little baby used with an ipod touch and some AKG K430 on ear headphones brings a fullness, and clarity to the sound thats usually lacking in such devices. Yep, the volume can be louder, but these pieces really shine in the subtle attributes they bring to your listening pleasure. The low end is deeper and much fuller sounding, the highs are extended but not fatiguing at all, these little amps elevate the sound quality of my ipod, AKG combo to the point where its a pleasure to listen to digital files through an ipod, not just filler sound, its real quality sound now. I haven't tried it with a laptop yet but as far as headphone gadgets go I really like this little Fiio E5.

mcgsxr

Re: Fiio E5 Headphone amp- surprisingly good.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2011, 12:48 pm »
+1 on the value delivered by this little guy, I bought one with the LOD cable for my iPod Touch, and am happy with how it drives all 3 sets of my phones.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's
Panasonic SLIMZ noise cancelling
Shure SE115's

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2011, 02:37 pm »
I paired the E5 with some AKG-K430's that I got a deal on before Christmas ($29) and the combination of both is excellent...for around $60 using an ipod touch as a source I totally by accident hit on a nice pairing. If your looking for an inexpensive but still good sounding portable rig I highly recommend this setup.
 I have some Grado SR60's being delivered today and look forward to checking out the Grado house sound. :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2011, 05:06 pm »
I look forward to hearing about the Grado's, there a couple pair locally available, and I am thinking of switching away from my DT770's.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2011, 05:08 pm »
They are out for delivery, and its snowing here so we'll see...I'm like a little kid with this waiting thing... :duh:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2011, 08:34 pm »
+1 on the value delivered by this little guy, I bought one with the LOD cable for my iPod Touch, and am happy with how it drives all 3 sets of my phones.
Better late then never, I got an LOD cable today and listened to ELP, the first album....wow...this headphone thing...flippin awesome!!! :dance:

saisunil

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2011, 09:11 pm »
Talk about cheap and cheerful ....

HiFiMan HM601 is an audiophile approved all in one player
It has a high quality amp built into it

Currently it is on sale $259 and they are throwing in their $99 in ear phones ...

and I am listening to it now and it is better than ipod ->LOD->amp business ... I have gone down that path ...

This is cheaper and better ...

Like everything else YMMV ...

Cheers

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2011, 09:14 pm »
I'm on it......LOL. Thanks for taking the time to turn me onto these..... :thumb: :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2011, 09:16 pm »
You use SD cards??? Is that the idea?? Interesting......

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2011, 09:25 pm »
I just recently started to investigate headphones seriously and the gear associated with them, the low cost gear that provides the best bang for the buck is my favorite stuff. I have a few sets of phones and was curious about what portable headphone amps did so I picked up a Fiio E5 Headphone Amp for just under $29 shipped. They look exactly like an ipod shuffle...

They have a rechargeable battery installed that uses a mini USB plug on the unit itself and a standard USB plug for charging from your laptop or whatever. The controls are on/off, volume, and two EQ presets (Flat & Bass Boost)...I thought the idea with this type item was all about added gain and in fact that is a feature but what I overlooked was the enhancement to sound quality that could take place. This little baby used with an ipod touch and some AKG K430 on ear headphones brings a fullness, and clarity to the sound thats usually lacking in such devices. Yep, the volume can be louder, but these pieces really shine in the subtle attributes they bring to your listening pleasure. The low end is deeper and much fuller sounding, the highs are extended but not fatiguing at all, these little amps elevate the sound quality of my ipod, AKG combo to the point where its a pleasure to listen to digital files through an ipod, not just filler sound, its real quality sound now. I haven't tried it with a laptop yet but as far as headphone gadgets go I really like this little Fiio E5.

Yep, quite a deal for the price.  I got one last year to work with my iPond nano and HD600 phones.  The Nano just couldn't drive them, the Fiio provides enough extra output to make them work well.  I CAN tell the difference between the Fiio and my Home Headroom, but then the Headroom cost a ton more!  And the Fiio is still very musical with the iPod and HD600's.  And, of course, the Headroom isn't exactly portable...

saisunil

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2011, 10:25 pm »
Yes SD Cards ...
They can only take up to class 4 and 32 G max. They recommend Kingston Class 4 cards ...
You can swap cards for more music :)

You use SD cards??? Is that the idea?? Interesting......

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2011, 10:43 pm »
I have a new plan now!!! :wink:

saisunil

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2011, 02:49 pm »
I can't imagine any Fiio external amp to better the internal amp of HiFiMan 601

Apparently a couple of magazines have declared HifiMan 801 to be the best digital audio player on the planet now  :lol:

I have one and I know it was clearly better than modified ipod with Lod and the best external headphone amp (available at that time) ...

601 provides a huge value at $259 and the current sale has $99 free iems thrown in ...

tomwhite

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2011, 04:18 pm »
I also own the E5, and i use it mainly with my laptop...i can hear a good improvement over the onboard sound, it drives well my cans.
Definitely worth the price.

kbuzz3

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2011, 06:43 pm »
Anyone tried this thing with an ipad?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2011, 07:06 pm »
Not yet.....if it has the typical ipod dock connector or headphone output it will work...

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2011, 09:48 pm »
Anyone tried this thing with an ipad?

Yes, and it didn't make nearly the difference the Fiio had with my iPod Nano.  The iPad apparently has enough drive for the Sennheisers that the amp was not needed.

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:03 pm »
The E5 has a 1/10 watt output. I don't know about the iPad but for comparison my Dell laptop has a 2 watt amp.

Pez

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:49 pm »
Just picked one up for $17.50 plus shipping on amazon.  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:35 pm »
Nice find!!!