Tube preamp with RF based remote?

schw06

Tube preamp with RF based remote?
« on: 6 Jan 2011, 03:53 pm »
I would love to be able to move my preamp (whole equipment rack) behind the front wall of my audio room and wondering if there are any tube preamps that use an RF based remote rather than IR. I would be looking for something $5,000 or less. Of course, quality must supercede convenience...thanks for suggestions.
David

JohnR

TomS

Re: Tube preamp with RF based remote?
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:32 pm »
I don't know of specific RF options, but perhaps you could just use an IR extender to poke through or around the wall somehow?  It would certainly give you a lot more choices.  Tom

schw06

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:50 pm »
Tom,
   That is great advice! That solves it! Thank you,
David

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:13 pm »
If you do decide to consider the Jumbo Shrimp, I have one and that RF remote really works well over considerable distance and through walls, floors, etc. Re-program it to open garage doors and get to know your neighbors :wink:! But seriously, it's a great-sounding and cool-looking unit. Just be aware that like a lot of Manley products, it doesn't necessarily offer what a lot of folks consider to be "the tube sound " - it's clean, transparent and has tight low-end. Not "euphonic" or overly warm sounding and very quiet to boot. I run it with a couple of Bryston 7B SST Sq. - sounds terrific !

R_burke

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2011, 08:26 pm »
If your current equipment has IR remote you can convert to RF with what is called a RF Remote Extender.  Do a google and you should find several