Downfiring Sub Question

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Downfiring Sub Question
« on: 5 Jan 2011, 07:41 pm »
I have just come into ownership of a JBL PB10 downfiring sub and I know in the past a bunch of us, myself included, had our subs elevated like 30% of the height of the room roughly and I'm wondering with a downfiring sub would it also be beneficial to elevate it and just have it fire straight out, put it on its side. I don't know if downfiring subs are different and absolutely need to be downfiring to be effective due to whatever reason....Thanks...Ed

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Downfiring Sub Question
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2011, 03:51 pm »
The down firing design will have two parameters that you will modify by either raising it off of the floor and/or tilting it to fire forward.  Acoustically, the unit is designed to be loaded by the floor boundary, so you'll alter the response by creating a larger gap.  The second parameter is mechanical and may or may not apply, but the woofer suspension may have been chosen to use the force of gravity and you may alter response by tilting it sideways.  So I wouldn't for any reason tilt the woofer sideways, and if you want to raise it, put it on a platform that simulates the floor loading.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:09 pm »
Thanks!!! I took it off my box collection and have it correctly orientated on the floor, beside being correct it sounds the best this way. Once I got the phase right and crossover it has integrated very nicely into my rig. Its a definite keeper!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2011, 04:34 am »
Yeah, but after writing that I was remembering a popular brand sub, can't remember which but most certainly JBL, Infinity, or another mass market product of the same price range, that was a downfiring sub that you could switch the feet out to another facet on and make it a front firing sub.  I really couldn't wrap my head around it so I've forgotten the brand, on purpose.  Seems like it would really mess with the response, perhaps there's a compensation switch on the amp or something.  Anyway, it's been done.

I've found that a simple Radio Shack SPL meter and a test CD to be invaluable in setting up subs (make sure to download the correction curves for the RatShack meter, just google them up).  Of course an RTA with a calibrated mic and some good software would be better, but you can get a major improvement with the cheaper setup.  The settings you end up with are not intuitive and are much different than you end up with setting by ear alone.  We don't differentiate bass tones well and it sounds so much better when helped by a SPL meter.     

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2011, 04:57 am »
I built a bass-trap type oak substand that raises my downfiring Force XL 28" off my hardwood floors. The stand sits next to and on the inside of my right front Lorelei and is firing just below the Lorelei's driver. Before I had the stand, I had multiple floor locations, none of which worked as well as my present setup. So I'm happy (but I'd still like to get a 2nd sub setup if I could ever get my sub amp back from a modifying cable company who has had it for over a year now  :thumbdown: ).

Cheers,
Robin

Cheers,
Robin