Question on Roasting a Chicken

Mass. Wine Guy

Question on Roasting a Chicken
« on: 4 Jan 2011, 09:48 pm »
I usually roast a chicken on a rack in a roasting pan filled part way with water. This collects the fat and avoids filling my house with smoke. Some recipes call for using the juices of the chicken, so obviously water wouldn't work.

How do you roast a chicken without making a ton of smoke? I don't have a hood.

Thank you.

wywires

Re: Question on Roasting a Chicken
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2011, 09:58 pm »
I usually prepare the chicken by stuffing two lemon halves and a bunch of garlic into the cavity along with some EV olive oil and salt. I then tie the legs together with kitchen twine and drizzle EV olive oil all over it and sprinkle liberally with salt and fresh ground pepper.

In a roasting pan, I place 4-5 celery sticks and 4-5 carrots to act as a bed for the chicken. I place the chicken on top of the veggies with the breast up and add another 1/4 cup of olive oil along with a cup of white wine such that the wine/oil mixture just comes up to the back of the chicken.

After the oven is preheated to 325F, I put the chicken in with the breast covered with alum. foil for about 2 hours. I then remove the foil and let it cook for another 2 hours at 325. This way the checken is tender, falling off the bone and moist. Cooking time varies with the size of the chicken. The above time is for a 4.5-5 lb bird

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2011, 10:02 pm »
I roast at 325 degrees and never have a smoking problem myself. Slow & steady is the course to take.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

wywires

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2011, 10:03 pm »
Yes, the most important ingredient in cooking is time.

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2011, 11:53 pm »
Beer. Can. Chicken.

Can be done indoors if your oven is big enough. Otherwise file the idea away for grilling season...

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:10 am »
I usually prepare the chicken by stuffing two lemon halves and a bunch of garlic into the cavity along with some EV olive oil and salt. I then tie the legs together with kitchen twine and drizzle EV olive oil all over it and sprinkle liberally with salt and fresh ground pepper.

In a roasting pan, I place 4-5 celery sticks and 4-5 carrots to act as a bed for the chicken. I place the chicken on top of the veggies with the breast up and add another 1/4 cup of olive oil along with a cup of white wine such that the wine/oil mixture just comes up to the back of the chicken.

After the oven is preheated to 325F, I put the chicken in with the breast covered with alum. foil for about 2 hours. I then remove the foil and let it cook for another 2 hours at 325. This way the checken is tender, falling off the bone and moist. Cooking time varies with the size of the chicken. The above time is for a 4.5-5 lb bird

Damn, you're making me hungry. Usually when I roast a chicken I do it outside on the grill. I like to do the beer can method since the chicken comes out so moist. Anybody here roast their chicken standing up in the oven?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:15 am »
This is funny- not five minutes ago I threw a chicken in the oven to roast! :lol: :thumb:  I just roast at 325-350 and have never had a problem with smoke.  I guess you could use a dutch oven.

wywires

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:16 am »
Most home ovens are too small so you have to do it on the bottom rack and the bottom part of the chicken will be done too quickly while the top part not enough. Great idea for an outdoor grill though.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:22 am »
Thanks everyone. I roast at 425, which is probably too high. I'll try the lower regions.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:22 am »
Stuff a couple of lemons with holes punched in them into the bird, slather a tone of course salt and pepper on the skin. Bake and enjoy. The lemons keep the bird nice and moist (lemon-y too of course). Salt and pepper do lovely things to the skin. Crank up the heat for a bit near the end to brown the skin nicely.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:55 am »
The great thing about roasting at 325 for 3+ hours is the meat falls off the bone and is oh so tender.  (don't forget to brine the chicken!)

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2011, 02:56 am »
I brine chicken breasts on the bone before grilling. But a whole chicken? Too much bother.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:14 am »
Instead of brining chicken to keep it moist, try coating the outer skin with a layer of mayonaise instead. You won't believe how moist the meat gets and outer coating's pretty tasty to boot.  :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:33 am »
I can't get my mind around spreading a chicken with mayo. The chicken itself has enough fat to last me a week.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:42 am »
I can't get my mind around spreading a chicken with mayo. The chicken itself has enough fat to last me a week.

Must be a Vermont thing..... maybe a little maple syrup...:jester:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:48 am »

I hear ya.  :lol:  I thought it sorta crazy myself when my neighbor suggested it to me but after trying it out, I've practically stopped marinating breasts anymore myself unless I get a hankering for teriaki.  :drool:  The coating won't have any type of mayo taste to it whatsoever but the meat will stay so damn moist, it'll blow your mind. This works especially well on keeping skinless chicken nice & moist as they always tend to dry out regardless of prior marinating for me. With me tho, the more fatty skin, the better.  8)

Consider this a professional review and try it on a white meat breast!  :jester:  I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:51 am »
Must be a Vermont thing..... maybe a little maple syrup... :jester:

As a dipping sauce maybe.  :lol:  But for roasting, forget it. The roasting pan cleanup afterwards is a real bitch.  :green:

Cheers,
Robin

Ericus Rex

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2011, 12:58 pm »
Robin,

On a chicken with skin still on do you spread the mayo on top of the skin or between meat and skin?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:03 pm »
Robin,

On a chicken with skin still on do you spread the mayo on top of the skin or between meat and skin?

Right on top of the skin,,, makes for a tasty outer coating and will still keep that white meat moist. Season after the coating of course, it's mayomessy doing it the other way round.  :lol:  A temp from over 325 but not over 350 degrees for around 45 minute will give you a nice outer crunch. Nice thing about using mayo is that you can leave that breast in the oven a little longer if you go for that crispy outer crunch and still have moist chicken but if you like it really crunchy, just use a little extra extra mayo.

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2011, 06:08 pm by satfrat »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:28 pm »
The great thing about roasting at 325 for 3+ hours is the meat falls off the bone and is oh so tender.  (don't forget to brine the chicken!)

Correctamundo. Try starting out at 500 then lower immediately to 325. Try some Old bay seasoning inside the bird and a sprinkle on the outside. Fall off the bone moist and pretty tasty to boot.

charles