BP26, preamp for a life

Ozi

• If it don't weigh enough, it can't play enough
BP26, preamp for a life
« on: 4 Jan 2011, 12:32 pm »
Hi,

it just come to my mind this morning that I would like to share with you my interesting experience with BP26 preamp. Please sorry as english is not even my second language, thanks.

Now after my brand new BP26 have six weeks on it's back, the unit is nearly reached it's optimum performance and still grow. This preamp surprise me every day with something new which I appreciate and listen with a lot of pleasure. As this probably differ from other users experience, my BP26 took more than 400 hours to come on song and form the sound signature which I remember from Byston/PMC demonstrations I heard in the last few years. Yes, it took me a few years to find an ultimate preamp which is up to my taste and my understanding of correct music reproduction in home environment. As a reviewer, I made a lot of reviews during years for respectable local hi fi and music magazine and webzines too. During last 4-5 years I had a chance to arrange a home dem of everything available here and that include literrary every big name, honestly. I spent a lot of time and I mean really a lot of time and gasoline to find out what would or not float my boat after 15 years of being in Naim camp. Describing all that I dem'd after Naim would be endless, but it's quite shocking how some of the very very respected hi end brands are not even close to the Bryston sound even properly burned in. There was a moment when I thought that I would never find an amp with which I would be satisfied (ok, actually my wife initiate that statement and I almost accept it). Years are passing by and dem's and shows too. Local shows are always interesting and as I remember on every of them during last few years there was one top of the line Bryston/PMC setup which always sounded good to me with my own 'sound of the show' mark, but not to the point where you can say 'this is it for me'.
In the meantime, two years ago I've been witnessed to the best sound I ever heard, a system consisted of top of the line Spectral gear and I almost started to make plans to buy Spectral preamp as from my experience it was pretty much better than anything I heard before. Luckily, my additional plans about to buy Spectral power amp actually prevent me to proceed with the deal as the total price of the both units is very very serious for me, so I decided to rethink and put everything on a hold. You cannot imagine how I am pleased that I do that like I was and the final reason is last year demo of Rega Isis/BP26/7BSST2/PMCIB2i which totally disarmed me as the best what I ever heard in my life (for me even better than Spectral) and I really heard 'everything'.
As I sold everything I owned from Naim, I needed to start from the scratch, but experience teached me that preamp is the most important component in the system, something like soul of the system and source is the heart. Choice has been obvious, BP26 and a week later BDA-1 which are both now in my home. For the amp, of course that would be from Bryston, but I am not sure about my final choice of the speakers, so not sure if it would be 3BSST2 or 4BSST2, but even now with little Quad 99 power amp I am very happy and I can hear pretty much of what BP26 can deliver. I must say that I appreciate very much sonic righntess which Bryston provide and seriously good sense for 'start and stop' of the tones. It's quite unbeliveable how easily many other expensive gear fail on this task.

I still wait for some last details of the tapestry related to a little bit more defined images and depth, but as preamp and DAC surprise me every day with something new and on same recordings, I have strong reasons to belive that this would be truly fantastic sounded system, especially when SST2 jump in. This is all even better experience with BP25 remote which James sent to me personally as a gift.

Stay well guys, you are one wonderful and different community.

Oz

nobel

Re: BP26, preamp for a life
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:03 pm »
Hi oz

Glad you like the Bryston. I did a number of audtions  and brought a load of hi- fi mags for many years before i setttled for bryston including PMC speakers. Now i just enjoy the music without ever worrying about the latest upgrade. It is  what they call  reaching  heaven with the music you love.

For me it is for life and as long as there is good music out there to warm those chilly nights any warts and criticism goes towards the production and not on the system.

Enjoy     

BrysTony

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:09 pm »
Oz,
Very interesting post.  It sounds like you have very good access to equipment to audition and choose for your system.  I am glad you like Bryston.  I recommend that you try to audition the BDP-1 with your BDA-1/BP-26.  If you do you will likely buy it!!  :D

Ozi

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2011, 02:18 pm »
Thank you both for a support  :thumb:

Yes Nobel, I reached that level of satisfaction like you are. It's been though and seemed endless, but it worth the effort.

BrysTony, thanks for your BDP reccomendation, I already have an eye on it.

Cheers  :D

1oldguy

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:14 pm »
HI OZI

Being new to hi end audio at first I was really stumped,my thinking was off.I didn't know what to look for sound wise with the gear I had just bought.
But thankfully after realizing,knowing what to focus on now I am quite content.It's Bryston all the way for me regardless of what out there for any price.
I realistically can't think of better for any price.I am glad I  took some time to chill.
Hats off to Bryston and James Tannor.It doesn't get better than that.

budt

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:47 pm »
  I have been through a fair amount of equipement over the past 10 years. I have purhcased mostly new. I went away from bryston several times but kept coming back to it. I now have the bryston bp26 preamp and bryston 7b sst2 mono blocks driving the new B&W 800 diamonds. I will be sticking with this system for a long long time. It simply has very good synergy. I find bryston is just a rock solid performer that you don't have to worry about and it gives me piece of mind to have such a great company and warranty standing behind my purchase. Bryston should almost be on the list of universal constants it is just so rock solid and consistant. When you buy a bryston product you know you are getting a very linear, low distortion,dependable device which built like a tank and is reasonably priced.

1oldguy

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2011, 05:13 pm »
Pass labs amps....3 year Warranty
Bryston  ............20 year Warenty

No offense to pass owners but 3 years doesn't exactly instill much confidence in an amp.At least for this oldguy.

Ozi

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2011, 08:10 pm »
It's very interesting how many of us (including you guys) have significant experience from before, that we audition and owned a lot of gear from Bryston price range and above and we finally ended on Bryston.
As you oldguy said, Bryston amps warranty is fantastic and that fact immediately convince one that he can expect that is quite possible that his unit would operate flawlessly for many years, if not even decades.
Of course, sound performance is the most important above everything and it's really something unique in Bryston sound. I mean, sure there are some, but small number of other hi end audio companies which amps sounds very good, but there are more things about their sound in which I would like to hear some Bryston qualities, then I would like to hear through Bryston amp qualities of other good companies amps. (Sorry for bad phrases, but I hope I explain myself well :oops:)

According to what other offers today at given price and even above, Bryston is somehow a logical progression to the final audio maturity of experienced audiophile.

Best,
Oz

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2011, 12:11 am »
Ozi, like you, I used to own more expensive equipment (FM Acoustics.) The BRYSTON equals it and matter of fact, probably surpasses it. The FM amp used to shut down and get hot at high levels. The BRYSTON amp does not do this. For thousands of dollars less. It's a sobering thing to find out that these megabuck makes can be shown up like this.

1oldguy

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:06 am »
Hi Vagasdave

I agree with this assessment.My friend has a pass amp,Bryston and Classe.His pass gets very hot and takes about a long time to give the goods.Bryston runs so much cooler,and in my opinion much more efficient.Seriously,if it runs hot it can't be good over the long haul for the electronics.Hence the 3 year warranty on Pass.After all, companies do test and know just how long to a warranty to give their customers.20 years speaks volumes.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2011, 11:06 pm »
Hi Vagasdave

I agree with this assessment.My friend has a pass amp,Bryston and Classe.His pass gets very hot and takes about a long time to give the goods.Bryston runs so much cooler,and in my opinion much more efficient.Seriously,if it runs hot it can't be good over the long haul for the electronics.Hence the 3 year warranty on Pass.After all, companies do test and know just how long to a warranty to give their customers.20 years speaks volumes.

Greetings 1oldguy,

What class is the amplifier (the one which runs hot)  :scratch:

Thanks.

Be well...

1oldguy

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2011, 03:06 am »
Hi Laundrew
It's the 2 channel 350 model.But you didn't hear it from me.pun intended.LOL. :thumb:

lanchile

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2011, 03:12 am »
I agree with you ozi !!! I believe Bryston is the pinnacle in audio. not just the sound but the way they are made. Quality that will ensure us our "investment" is for a really long time. Bryston can compete with our real life span. Bryston can last 30 years or more without a single problem. :thumb:

Ozi

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:27 pm »
Yep, all the best for Bryston  :thumb:

Believe it or not, my BP26 is still improving even after some 400 hours.   :D

Best,
oz.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:35 pm »
Ozi,

are you a reviewer? if yes, what reviews have you done? i mean what equipment and what magazine was it published?

thanx,

al. :green:

Ozi

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:47 pm »
Hi Alex,

yes, but I am doing that less than before. Various Croatian and Slovenian hi-fi or music magazines and webzines. Here's how I start many years ago http://www.wam.hr/arhiva/Broj_6/Naim.html

:wink:
oz.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:53 pm »
cool! 8) :thumb:

al.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #17 on: 7 Jan 2011, 11:52 pm »
I agree with you ozi !!! I believe Bryston is the pinnacle in audio. not just the sound but the way they are made. Quality that will ensure us our "investment" is for a really long time. Bryston can compete with our real life span. Bryston can last 30 years or more without a single problem. :thumb:

Exactly.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2011, 01:47 am »
"... will ensure us our "investment" is for a really long time..."

Perhaps an investment in our enjoyment  :scratch:

Be well...

lanchile

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jan 2011, 03:30 am »
Perhaps an investment in our enjoyment  :scratch: