which ss amp for eminence alpha's

versus rider

which ss amp for eminence alpha's
« on: 3 Jan 2011, 10:11 am »
after a christmas visit to a friend where we ran my open baffles and horns with his amps I now find my Rotel 130w amp lacking. We used a soundcraftsmen 200w amp for the bass and it was stunning. The Rotel has served me well and up to now has been the best I have tried. Any suggestions for something that will do the business.

Poultrygeist

Re: which ss amp for eminence alpha's
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2011, 11:34 am »
I like the Dayton APA 150 with the crossover control. Not lots of power but the alpha's are pretty efficient.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:21 pm »
If you are running just bass on them, there are excellent plate amps by Dayton or BASH.

I am running a Dayton 500w plate amp on my subs now (not Eminence), and have used the 300w BASH amp in the past.

versus rider

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:54 pm »
thanks guys, the problem with plate amps is they are specifically made for subs. I don't need left and right inputs or filters. I use a DEQX with my set up, so really could do with an amp that covers 20Hz - 250Hz. Although I know I am unlikely to be able to get one. So a 2 channel power amp will have to do. But which one.
does anyone know of an amp builder that could supply such a thing as a bass specific 2 channel or mono amps for the frequencies I need covered.

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:32 pm »
after a christmas visit to a friend where we ran my open baffles and horns with his amps I now find my Rotel 130w amp lacking. We used a soundcraftsmen 200w amp for the bass and it was stunning. The Rotel has served me well and up to now has been the best I have tried. Any suggestions for something that will do the business.

If I understand, you took your speakers to his room and used his amp. Why do you think his amp was the big difference and not his room or a different speaker placement? Maybe you could bring his amp to your room just to make sure before you spend any money on a new amp.

Martin

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2011, 07:07 pm »
A good point by MJK.

I think folks are very happy with the digital amps they are building over in that huge $175 120wpc thread here on AC, one of those might work perfectly for you, and they are reputed to have excellent bass.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2011, 08:21 pm by mcgsxr »

versus rider

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2011, 06:19 pm »
If I understand, you took your speakers to his room and used his amp. Why do you think his amp was the big difference and not his room or a different speaker placement? Maybe you could bring his amp to your room just to make sure before you spend any money on a new amp.

Martin
You may be right Martin, as he lives 500 miles from me that is not an option. :)

Victor

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2011, 07:03 pm »
I am using the Alpha's with a Behringer EP1500 with great succes

targa02

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2011, 08:42 pm »
I have been using a 250 watt class d amp from www.circumpointaudio.com with great results.  I have no affiliation.