Felt Mat replacement ideas?

sleepkyng

« on: 16 Mar 2004, 03:19 am »
hey, i have a project 6.1

and i use the glass plate followed by a felt mat, but i think the felt mat is crappy, what thing can i cheaply replace it with and where can i find one online?

cheers!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2004, 03:29 am »
Ringmat.

www.amusicdirect.com

George

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2004, 03:30 am »
Herbies Audio Lab makes a nice mat. I have a MMF-5 which has a glass platter and the improvement the Herbies mat made was very significant. I also tried the None Felt and the HAL product bettered it in every way.

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/ttmat.htm

Mike G.

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2004, 03:41 am »
I've got to say that I've tried the Ringmat and found it a bit too lean for my taste.  At first I liked it, but then put the felt mat back on the Rega and just felt it was more musical- fuller sound, etc. The None Felt mat was OK, but I had to strain to hear the improvements.  An audioquest sorbothante mat on my rega was just terrible, as it sucked the life out of the music  There are certainly more important tweeks you can make to a table than fooling with mats IMO.  They may change the sonics in pleasant ways, but I've not found one that beats the felt mat on my P25 overall.

I think you'll find plenty of Rega and Linn owners that would agree with me on this one.  You want to make a subastantial improvment across the board to your table?  Then buy a Neuance shelf.

Michael

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2004, 03:47 am »
Not to hijack the thread but...

Just put my Linn on a Quadraspire table, sounding good so far, beautifully finished and I highly recommend it.
Quadraspire.com

But...
Since I have a Trampolin base with a springy bottom, I can't see adding a Neuance because it would be a spring on top of a spring, not to mention the suspension of the table itself, no?

Also,

Is there something wonderful about the Linn felt? Maybe that would be a solution for other tables? I would imagine it comes in various grades and thicknesses.

Finally, there is supposedly a mod coming out for the none felt mat so if you have the big cutout to accomodate the thicker record label area, you don't have to use double sided tape to hold the thing to the platter. Only a rumor...

See, I got right back into the thread!

biz

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2004, 04:12 am »
But...
Since I have a Trampolin base with a springy bottom, I can't see adding a Neuance because it would be a spring on top of a spring, not to mention the suspension of the table itself, no?

No, the Neuance is not a springy table top platform.  It's a constrained layer platform and is supposed to work wonderfully with Linn's.  Write Ken Lyon at greater ranges about the platform.

Michael

oracle309

a couple of ideas.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2004, 03:34 pm »
Glad you have decided to give the Pro-ject a go.

Try  a"Spotmat" popularized on "the Analog Dept" pages (actually willbe's design not user 510's) Also try the "shelf liner mat", just be cautious. There are a couple of types, the best one being a harder material. You may have to spray either with a spray on sealant

TNT audio (e-zine on the net) also has plans for one on its page. Personally I don't like felt mats, but do not have a glass plattered table.

Did you have a read on some of the AA FAQs or the Vinyl Engine's regarding table setup? How did your repair go?

sleepkyng

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2004, 08:36 pm »
I got the PCCE cardas headshell leads (the copper part) and i just soldered them on with ratshack silver solder.

i haven't aligned the cartridge yet, i just eyeballed it (i know, cardinal sin) but i'm gonna go to NYC this weekend and look for a place that sells TT protractors.

other than that, it looks alright.

the dealer that sold this to me was kinda shady. the little plastic stablizer piece in between the sub chasis and the chasis is broken, but the TT still works fine.

how much should i pay for a mat? i really don't want to spend more than 20 bucks for a piece of material that sits on my TT.

Brad

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2004, 09:10 pm »
Thanks for the tip on the Herbie's, Mike. 8)

I need to get with you on the other MMF-5 mods you've done....

oracle309

protractors and mats.
« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2004, 09:17 pm »
Check out the "stupid" protractor on the Vinyl Engine page, it is really good and very easy to use (only 10 cents to cover the ink and paper used to print it out).

If you are going to NYC then mats should be available, although I know nothing about the cost of things in the Big Apple. Most of the mats I mentioned are  DIY, the "shelf liner one" being available as shelf liner at almost any hardware store. Then ya just cut it to size. My caveat regarding a spray on sealant is only an issue if you leave albums on the table after listening (for days, I know I speak from experience).

If you do purchese a mat, make sure it Iis NOT a "slip mat" , the style that dj types use.

Good luck. Please do NOT  play records until you align the cartridge  as this most certainly will cause damage to your records.

sleepkyng

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2004, 01:50 am »
so i've got a glass platter and a clamp, does that limit the types of mats i should be using?

should i use one at all?

maybe i should just go glass to vinly to clamp.

or cork?

where can i get cork?

i feel like an idiot right now... where can i get CORK!?

oracle309

cork
« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2004, 08:22 am »
I bought a sheet of a rubber cork composite sheet at Napa autoparts. It was cheap.

another alternative may be to hack up a battered lp and try it as a "vinyl mat"

Tonto Yoder

Re: cork
« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2004, 11:18 am »
Quote from: oracle309
. .....

another alternative may be to hack up a battered lp and try it as a "vinyl mat"

I think I remember a DIY Spotmat using an old LP and various circles of felt at strategic places--you can buy sheets of the felt circles (they're used on bottoms of lamps etcc. to keep from scratching tables).  Maybe there's similar cork circles??? Might try an old red Fantasy LP or something similar just for a cool look.

oracle309

spotmat...
« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2004, 02:57 pm »
Check the analog dept for spotmat ideas. Often made of 1 sheet of watercolour paper and about 15 spots (I cut round cork ones myself).Several have beeen tried.