looking for a large cutting board

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
looking for a large cutting board
« on: 1 Jan 2011, 10:15 am »
Thought I'd get opinions on a a large cutting board for the kitchen. I would like one that is 24" square or so that I can leave out on a large granite center island. I have "seen" the John Boos (spelling??) brand but they are over $300 and thought you all may have some ideas.

thanks and happy new year

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: looking for a large cutting board
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2011, 10:49 am »
The Boardsmith makes much nicer boards than Boos for less money, and they're hand-made by David himself.  Check 'em out! :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2011, 11:41 am »

I got my 1.25" x 12" x 14" maple checker cutting board for $73 here. The main cutting board page can be found here. Mine's 5 years old and is weathering very good. A variety of wood, custom sizes, and board designs are available. Free shipping but I'd expect a 24" square board will cost you at least $200 with the minimum 1.25" thickness, much more if you're looking for 2" thickness.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

MaxCast

scp2

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2011, 02:06 pm »
This person may be able to get 24x24
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accsrack&1297735024&/Michigan-Maple-Block-AUD02121-

I got one of these to make a stand for my MWTP and very pleased with the quality and good service. :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2011, 02:38 pm »
Overstock.com has all sizes and usually free shipping or $1 shipping.  I use these for my rack shelving and they actually come from Dawn's Platforms sold on Audiogon but for less money and wrapped as cutting boards with finger grooves on each end.  Since you want a cutting board only you should be set....

I don't see any 3" thick 18x24's on there today which is what I use for amps and subs.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2011, 02:49 pm »
This person may be able to get 24x24
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accsrack&1297735024&/Michigan-Maple-Block-AUD02121-

Dawn's da' bomb....she's on eBay, as well, with expanded offerings. I think her store name there is Dawns Depot(?)

I own two 24 x 18 x 3.5" - her prices on eBay may be a little sharper, too (you used to be able to haggle the price sown a bit with her, too - I think I got my pieces under $100 delivered to CA.  Prices may have risen in past 2+ years, tho.

Nice lady, real Michigan-made, hi quality products and fair pricing - good combo.

Btw, they maple is the best equipment support I have ever found under your turntable  :D

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2011, 03:00 pm »
To all
thanks for the many ideas and suggestions

David