Advice needed

Bigload

Advice needed
« on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:00 am »
I am thinking about getting my first set of headphones since the 70's.  I have been searching the internet doing my research.  Unfortunately big box electronics is the only place close to actually audition anything.  Tried that today and the best they had was the Monster Beats Pro, which sounded good to me??  But the reviews I read say there are much better choices.  I want to buy a life time set and do not mind spending some cash to get what I want.  I will be listening through a Van Alstine AvaStar hybrid preamp.  Here is what I am currently considering strictly based on the reviews I am reading...
Sennheiser HD650
AKG 702
Grado RS1i
The HD800 sounds like it is awesome, but $1500? Really?  I have to believe you can get really top notch headphones for 1/2 or 1/3 of that.  At least that is my plan.  What should I know and consider before picking one of these?  Thanks!

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:25 pm »
Hello,

I just went thru the same experience and got a set of AKG 702's. My journey and selection was basically just like my decision to get my pair of SongTowers. The best for the least amount of money.

I got a new set of 'PC' headphones for gaming, the price was $100 +/- Audio Technia ATH50's. I was floored at how good these were for the price on a PC and they worked well with the AVA Insight + Preamp I have as well. That in itself this started me wondering how well other headphons might sound etc.

Like with the SongTowers I was looking for the 'best' for $250 or so. There are many in this price range. I was amazed at the wide price range of all the phones, and was shocked at the HD800 price as well. So when I found some phones being compared to the HD 800s and doing rather well I was 'happy' again. The there are hundreds of reviews and thousands of opinions on the web ( a good one is head-fi.org). You will become very confused very fast with all the opinons and  be forewarned that most headphone people use their phones with PC's connected to external usb dacs and amps or integrated devices.

So be careful when reading. Few will have results based on using them with a preamp phone section or AVR phone section. Most poo-poo using an AVR headphone out, but on my Onkyo SR805 its not bad at all, on the AVA Insight+ its stellar to me. Most headphone guys have external stuff driving their phones...this is another journey down the rabbit hole for sure!! LOL. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ .

The reason I picked the AKG702s was the overall package for the price. They are very accurate, have a wonderful soundstage, NO boomy bass, accurate tight snappy bass if the amp you use has the power to drive them. They are 62 ohm and thought of being lowe impedance. Frank Van Alstine told me they use a set of lower impedance Grados and the 702's would not be a problem with the Insight+.

Many say the AKG have NO bass. Compared to my $100 ATH 50's this would sound true, but if you a critical listener you realize how boomy they are compared to the 702's. I cant stand to listen to music on boomy stuff.

All in all I would buy these AKG 702's again, they are VERY comforatable, at times I think they are NOT there!! LOL. very light fitting...and can listen for hours with no discomfort to me!!

Good luck in your journey!!
All the best
Alex

Note: I have several posts in the AVA circle and headphone circle on how well these work with AVA.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:46 pm »
you should put these on your list to consider

Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium
Ultrasone PRO 750
Denon AH-D5000

all good cans i like my dt 880's a lotbut could live with the others just as easy

ed

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:53 pm »
Wow, we are all doing the same thing. A bunch of years back I bought from Alienware "OZMA" headphones for $295.00 which in reality were Ultrasone Hfi700's and they sound excellent.
 Right before Christmas some here posts a "Deal" on some headphones from Musicians Friend, so I bought some AKG-K430 On-Ear Phones for $29.99 and some SONY MDR-V150 cans for $12.99 figuring I'd give them to my kids when they loose their ipod earbuds. When I got the packages and tried out the AKG-K430's I was shocked at how good they sounded for $29.99 (they were selling other places for $95) so I opened up the Sony's and again very nice and for $12.99, wow, so it got me thinking are my Ultrasone's any good, they sound good, but am I missing something if a sets of $13 and $30 sound so good for the money so I went over to Head-Fi and posted-"I got these, can I do better with todays technology?"
 The Head-Fi guys describe headphones as buying different colors, not buying better sound necessarily, of course some sound better then others and as with anything money and lots of it I found out gets good cans. Well the guys came back to me and said the Ultrasones were excellent headphones and I actually did well when I impulsively purchased them. They are good headphones, excellent in fact the more I listen to them, they have a great soundstage very full sound, good low end without the bloat, great mids and highs.
 Everybodies tastes are different but you might want to check out Ultrasones....they have a bunch of price points and seem very highly regarded.

http://www.ultrasone.com/

Kinger

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:57 pm »
LOTS of choices in headphones at $300 or less.  If you have not already done so, check out www.head-fi.org and browse through the forums.  You can get lots of comments about any particular brand or model you are looking for.  So many comments in fact that it might end up making you crazy :)  One thing that's been pretty apparent to me in listening to different brands is that they all seem to have their own sonic signature.  Had a set of Beyerdynamic 880's that I was amping via an Emotiva USP-1 and I ended up selling them for a set of Denon D2000's as they seemed to have a sound that I liked a bit more than the BD's.

Happy hunting!

Bigload

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:05 pm »
I think I am zeroing in on the Sennheiser HD650.  But will think about it and keep researching until next week before I buy.  What about cable length?  I need about 20 foot total length.  Does an extension cable degrade performance? 

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:45 pm »
I'm broke so I'm really liking my Ultrasones right about now.....LOL!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Kinger

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2010, 08:08 pm »
Bigload - I'm using this headphone extension cable.........

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Extension-Cable-4-57m-Headphone/dp/B0006DPNNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293825989&sr=8-1

Have not noticed any decrease in the performance of the headphones as a result.

saisunil

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2010, 08:43 pm »
You can't really go wrong with Senn 650.
A lot of audiophiles prefer "less colored" Senn 600 over some-what ripe -slighly less balanced 650s ...

You may find this review helpful
http://www.stereomojo.com/FiveHeadphoneShootout/5HeadphoneShootout.htm

Just remember for all these phones (not as much for Grados) - Senns and AKG -Recabling them is almost a "must have" to bring out their best ... a dedicated headphone amp - with more power - will take it up another notch ...

If you are in nyc - you are welcome to come by to listen ...

Happy New Year

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2010, 08:47 pm »
Im a big 650 fan...

rather than an extension cable, think about just having your Senn's recabled with a better cable and get a 20 footer.

Check out Ken Ball at ALO Audio.  He makes a great cable for the 650, and should be able to make one in any length you need.  There are a few other good ones from Cardas, Stephan Audio Art and more.

Bigload

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2010, 11:55 pm »
You can't really go wrong with Senn 650.
A lot of audiophiles prefer "less colored" Senn 600 over some-what ripe -slighly less balanced 650s ...

You may find this review helpful
http://www.stereomojo.com/FiveHeadphoneShootout/5HeadphoneShootout.htm

Just remember for all these phones (not as much for Grados) - Senns and AKG -Recabling them is almost a "must have" to bring out their best ... a dedicated headphone amp - with more power - will take it up another notch ...

If you are in nyc - you are welcome to come by to listen ...

Happy New Year

Thanks for the offer....and the link.  However, I live in the middle of the country.  :(  Narrowly missed a tornado this morning too!! :o

On the separate headphone amp... Van Alstine says my AvaStar hybrid preamp has an "Astonishing" headphone amp.  I will have to give that a go before buying anything else. 

Happy New Year to you as well!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jan 2011, 12:07 am »
I think he meant re-cable not re-calibrate or did I miss something important, if so please elaborate for me also.

Bigload

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2011, 12:16 am »
I think he meant re-cable not re-calibrate or did I miss something important, if so please elaborate for me also.

You're right.  I read it too fast.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2011, 12:18 am »
Thanks for the offer....and the link.  However, I live in the middle of the country.  :(  Narrowly missed a tornado this morning too!! :o

On the separate headphone amp... Van Alstine says my AvaStar hybrid preamp has an "Astonishing" headphone amp.  I will have to give that a go before buying anything else. 

Happy New Year to you as well!

Not a big cans fan. But, I can attest to the AVA AvaStar output. Use it with a pair of Grado SR225i when it needs to be quiet in the house. Plenty of punch and extremely detailed.

Frank I

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:47 pm »
you may want to go over to headfi.org for the best advice on headphones. If you are in the 300.00 range the ones that comer up most are Beyer 880/600  Senn 650 or 600 and the AKG 702. If you are going with either the AKG you will get best results from a separate head amp. I have the Beyer T1 and LCD2 and use a custom made Decware amps fpor my rig. One is designed for high impedance as the 600 Ohms and Senn 300 ohms and the Taboo is used for my low impedance cans.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 4 Jan 2011, 01:34 am »
These threads always cost me money...LOL. I strolled on over to Head-Fi today and grabbed up some used Grado SR-60's just to see what they sound like. I have some others but it seemed like a good idea at the time.....the headphonianuemonia is the latest disease I have contracted hanging out here....Its some good, good FUN!!! though :dance: :dance: :dance:

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #16 on: 4 Jan 2011, 05:32 pm »
These threads always cost me money...LOL. I strolled on over to Head-Fi today and grabbed up some used Grado SR-60's just to see what they sound like. I have some others but it seemed like a good idea at the time.....the headphonianuemonia is the latest disease I have contracted hanging out here....Its some good, good FUN!!! though :dance: :dance: :dance:

And??????   how do the bottom feeder grado cans sound?

saisunil

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jan 2011, 05:48 pm »

In my experience - of the entire grado line 225i is the most neglected middle child and provides the highest value ... and marks (for me) the tipping point of diminishing returns ...

Yes some will argue that you can't compare 225i with PS1000 (8.5 more expensive). Yes PS1000 is amazing - is more colorful - has more bass and amazing soundstage etc. etc. but the higher up you go - the cans become more picky about pairing with amp / source / cabling etc. where as 225 is just as friendly with an ipod and deliver the goods with a quality head-amp ...

One could argue the same case with the newest middle child from Senn 598

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 4 Jan 2011, 05:54 pm »
The guy sent them from SoCal to me in Allentown and they are scheduled to arrive friday via fedex. I intentionally got the original SR60 so I could hear what everyone else who raved about them heard...we shall see, I'm looking forward to it, I already have Ultrasone Hfi 700, AKG K430, and Some SONY's that are just plain muddy sounding and I forget the model number-they are in a drawer some where.

I really wanted to hear what Grado's sound like, and the price was right.....

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 4 Jan 2011, 06:00 pm »
Oh and now that I'm firmly onboard the headphone express I got one of these also:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P9EQH8/ref=oss_product
Fiio E5, I'm on Soc. Sec. so I must go low cost...its fun to find things that sound awesome and that didn't cost me much.
If the SR60's get me going I'll save for some SR225 based on saisunil's recommendation. :thumb: :thumb: Thanks for the link also