Move FLAC files into iTunes

Will2

Move FLAC files into iTunes
« on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:43 am »
Hi,

Can anyone point me to an easy way of converting and moving FLAC files I have into a format I can play in iTunes?

Cheers
Will

scottnixon

• http://www.scott-nixon.com
Re: Move FLAC files into iTunes
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:02 am »
Flac Frontend program will allow you to reconvert the flac files back to wave.  You can then AIFF 'em into Itune friendly lossless.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:12 am »
Max is a good and comprehensive file format program.

And Pure Music will shortly be able to play FLACs through the iTunes interface. Perhaps worth checking out once this feature comes out. Says 4th quarter of 2010, so it should be here soon (tomorrow being the last day of the quarter). A very nice sounding audio program.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:13 am »
If you convert FLAC to WAV as an intermediary step, you will lose any embedded file tags.  If you want to preserve them and don't want to enter tags manually (artist, album, etc.), you would want a program that could convert FLAC directly to AIFF or ALAC.

Steve

mchuckp

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:45 am »
If you have a Mac, you can use a program called MAX.  It's free and converts pretty much anything you want.  If you are on PC, you can use dbPowerAmp.  Think it is free for a trial but will have to pay for it after a period of time (I think).

bunnyma357

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2010, 04:41 am »
If you're on a MAC you can add FLUKE which let's iTunes play FLAC's, but it doesn't work if you're using a player like Pure Music/Vinyl. I used MAX to batch convert all of my FLAC's to ALAC - was pretty easy.

http://code.google.com/p/flukeformac/

Jim C

Will2

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2010, 12:32 pm »
Thanks guys.  I downloaded MAX and am in thre process of trying to convert.  It is asking me which AIFF format I want - 8,16,24 or 32 bit big-endian signed integer  :scratch:  I'm guessing bigger is better (as in 32) but don't want to mess up - suggestions?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2010, 12:40 pm »
Thanks guys.  I downloaded MAX and am in thre process of trying to convert.  It is asking me which AIFF format I want - 8,16,24 or 32 bit big-endian signed integer  :scratch:  I'm guessing bigger is better (as in 32) but don't want to mess up - suggestions?

You should select the bit depth of the original file.  In other words, if the file is redbook from a CD, use 16 bit.  If it's a hi-rez file, use the appropriate bit depth (typically 24).  Selecting a bit depth larger than the original file servers no purpose, other than increasing the file size by padding it with additional zeros.  I know this from experience, I use MAX and at one point converted many files from redbook to 32 bit because my DAC can handle 32 bit and I thought "the more the merrier".  Not the case. . .
 :green:

Will2

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2010, 12:55 pm »
You should select the bit depth of the original file.  In other words, if the file is redbook from a CD, use 16 bit.  If it's a hi-rez file, use the appropriate bit depth (typically 24).  Selecting a bit depth larger than the original file servers no purpose, other than increasing the file size by padding it with additional zeros.  I know this from experience, I use MAX and at one point converted many files from redbook to 32 bit because my DAC can handle 32 bit and I thought "the more the merrier".  Not the case. . .
 :green:

Thanks!  Now I get two further options "AIFF (Apple/SGI) - Signed 16 Bit PCM" or "AIFF (Linear PCM)".  Are these the same - one better than the other?

newzooreview

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:16 pm »
Thanks!  Now I get two further options "AIFF (Apple/SGI) - Signed 16 Bit PCM" or "AIFF (Linear PCM)".  Are these the same - one better than the other?

If Max isn't working well for the batch conversion, you can try XLD ( http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html )
or xACT ( http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/xACT-Download-3897.html )

[borrowed the above from a post I made on another thread]

Crimson

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:45 pm »
Linear PCM.

Will2

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2010, 05:51 pm »
Linear PCM.
Thanks a TON - to all of you - don't know what I would do without your help.  Really makes me feel like I want to help out others when/if I can.

Crimson

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2011, 02:32 pm »
BTW, Pure Music v1.7 will now play native FLAC files.

Will2

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:11 pm »
Things get better and better - thanks Crimson.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2011, 02:22 am »
BTW, Pure Music v1.7 will now play native FLAC files.

I am probably being dense here, but how does Pure Music play FLAC files via iTunes?

I am contemplating going with a MAC Mini, but I really don't want to have to re-rip the almost 7000 albums I have.

George

srb

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:01 am »
I am probably being dense here, but how does Pure Music play FLAC files via iTunes?

Just like other players that play FLAC files do - the capability is built into the software code.  Players like Pure Music and Amarra are playback engines that integrate with iTunes.  They perform the actual music playback and the iTunes interface is only used for database organization, playlists, importing and other features.

Steve

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:04 am »

Just like other players that play FLAC files do - the capability is built into the software code.  Players like Pure Music and Amarra are playback engines that integrate with iTunes.  They perform the actual music playback and the iTunes interface is only used for database organization, playlists, importing and other features.

Steve

Steve is correct (as usual).   :thumb:

Go for it George and add a really nice dac and be prepared to be blown away.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:22 am »
Steve is correct (as usual).   :thumb:

Go for it George and add a really nice dac and be prepared to be blown away.

What DAC?  That is the question....

George