Yet another 'Help me treat my room' thread...

nullspace

Yet another 'Help me treat my room' thread...
« on: 26 Dec 2010, 09:12 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking to come up with some DIY suggestions for treating my room. Here's what I have:

Front of the room --

Rear of the room --

Dimensions are 18' long x 10' wide x 8' high. As you can see, there's a large doorway on the right leading into the adjoing room. There are three windows -- one on the front wall, one on the rear wall, and another on the left wall across from the open doorway. There are no window treatments in the pictures, but normally there are wooden blinds.

• I'm planning on 2'Wx5'Hx6"D bass traps in the front corners. Any disagreement there?
  • How about masking the asymmetry the doorway creates? I'm thinking of putting a 3'x5'x4" panel covering the window on the left.
  • What to do with the rear of the room? Maybe a large bass trap covering the window and a large percentage of the back wall?
  • Any speakers that show up in my room have pretty tight directivity from 500Hz and up and are set-up so that on-axis crosses in front of the listening position, so I'm undecided about treating the first reflection points.
  • As is, the room is very, VERY lively. I'm planning on using OC703/705. What kind of mix between FRK and unfaced panels should I be thinking of? I'll be spacing all the panels off the surface by an inch or two. I'm concerned that using all FRK-faced panels will still leave the room too lively.

Those are my thoughts thus far. Any comments or suggestion to help me along?

Thanks very much,
John
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2010, 01:41 am by nullspace »

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Yet another 'Help me treat my room' thread...
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2010, 05:24 pm »
All of that sounds fine. I'm pretty sure you'll benefit from side-wall (and ceiling) reflection absorbers, regardless of your speakers. As for FRK, my "rule" is FRK for all corner bass traps, and no FRK for reflection points and panels on the rear wall behind you.

--Ethan

nullspace

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2010, 06:34 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, Ethan. I certainly appreciate hearing from the pros.

I'll post updates as construction progresses.

Regards,
John

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2010, 10:04 pm »
Where did the other speaker go?!

Use 3" fiberglass minimum at reflection points to maintain constant absorption down to 300Hz or so. In order of priority: ceiling, wall behind you, front wall, side wall.

Buy some measurement equipment to see if you are going in the right direction.

nullspace

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2010, 10:23 pm »
Alas, I'm only listening in mono right now. I've been cycling through prototypes of speakers over the last year or so, and I only build one to see what's what. If it works out, I build another. If not, I move on to something else. My garage is littered with carcasses...

The example in the above picture works well -- but I've been on IR for the last couple of months with a torn calf muscle so the right-channel is still a couple months away.

John