Tube preamps that pair well with Odyssey Extreme Monos

djbnh

As per the subject line, I'm soliciting input from forum members regarding their respective experience re: pairing a tube preamp with Odyssey Extreme Monos. My Tempest preamp with 2 set of outputs still performs well and I still like the built-in vinyl stage for MC. However, I've been thinking about making a change and would value input. Yes, I'm aware Klaus makes the Candela and have read much about that preamp, so comment about non-Candela tube preamp pairings would be desired. FYI - don't need a ton of gain since I've gotten some new speakers are quite efficient.

dangerbird

Re: Tube preamps that pair well with Odyssey Extreme Monos
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2010, 03:38 am »
when I had my extremes I found a very suitable synergy with a Belles 20A and an Audible Illusions L-1.

amandarae

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2010, 04:09 am »
Supratek Chenin.

My preamp of choice when I was using the Odyssey monos.  No hum, buzz, etc. drives the amp with ease and responds very well to tube rolling especially the linestage section when paired with the mono amps.  After all these years, still have mine bone stock and look like just came out from Margaret River Australia while my Odyssey monos are long gone.

I am into SET ang high sensitivity speakers now (not lower than 98 dB, particularly Altec's with horns) and still can say without reservations that the Chenin is a good match!  At ~600 ohms of Zout so no problem driving long interconnects.

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2010, 03:44 pm »
I am running my Stratos stereo extreme amp with an Audible Illusions Modulus 3A tube preamp.  It has an output impedence of 1.2K ohms and it drives the Stratos amp effortlessly.  I get absolutely zero hum or noise in the system.  For me, it's a match made in heaven.

MERRY CHRISTMAS/HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

TJHUB

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:40 pm »
I'm using a Rogue Audio Perseus with my Statos Extreme SE monos with great results.   :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2010, 05:54 pm »
I have used both the KVP-10 and KVP-20 Korato preamps as well as the Transcendent Grounded Grid.  All 3 worked very well with no apparent matching problems or noise.

Bryan

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2010, 06:22 pm »
I auditioned the Niteshade Beacon preamp with a stereo ex.  It matched and sounded great with the Odyssey.  I highly recommend you audition it for the cost of shipping.

Wizard454

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2010, 09:52 pm »
I run a Sonic Frontiers Line 2SE+ with great results.

drphoto

« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2010, 02:08 pm »
I'm pretty happy w/ the Mapleshade Ultra4SE. I have the old regular Monos (green board) w/ cap upgrade. Smooth full sound, and good dimension. Dead quiet on linestage, but a bit of hiss and low end rumbly noise on phono at higher gain. It's a bargain for the quality, and you can save even more w/ the linestage version (Ultra 2). Does have a quirky vintage look, which you will probably either love or hate.

I tried a more than 3x the price ARC tube pre and wasn't very impressed. Nothing wrong w/ it, but it just didn't wow me. In fact, I thought the SS Tempest sounded better in most areas. The Tempest is actually a very good sounding pre. Mine just needs a minor repair, and I wanted to give tubes a try on the cheap which is why I got the Mapleshade. I need to get the gang at Odyssey to fix my Tempest and do a proper shootout.

lazydays

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2010, 06:50 pm »
As per the subject line, I'm soliciting input from forum members regarding their respective experience re: pairing a tube preamp with Odyssey Extreme Monos. My Tempest preamp with 2 set of outputs still performs well and I still like the built-in vinyl stage for MC. However, I've been thinking about making a change and would value input. Yes, I'm aware Klaus makes the Candela and have read much about that preamp, so comment about non-Candela tube preamp pairings would be desired. FYI - don't need a ton of gain since I've gotten some new speakers are quite efficient.

A Quicksilver seems to work well (I'm using one right now), and a Conrad Johnson seems to work just fine too.
gary

soundbitten1

« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2010, 02:18 am »
when I had my extremes I found a very suitable synergy with a Belles 20A and an Audible Illusions L-1.

Currently I'm getting great results using a Belles 20A with my Stratos.

BTW, does anyone know how much it would cost to upgrade the Stratos to the Extreme version?

JCarney

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2010, 03:21 am »
I'm using an AVA Ultra SL hybrid with my Odyssey glass ceiling mono's with superb results.

JCarney

TAULISA

« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2010, 11:32 pm »
HAVE BEEN RUNNING SATISFACTORILY FOR ALMOST A DECADE MY ODYSSEY AUDIO MONO BLOCKS WITH FIRST SOUND MKII TUBE PREAMPLIFIER !!!!!!!!!
LOOKING FORWARD TO THE MKIII VERSION !!!!!!

BOTTOM LINE: 
BEST PURE DUAL MONO PREAMPLIFIER ON THE MARKETPLACE !!!

TOBY

TAULISA

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2010, 11:38 pm »
BY THE WAY !!!!!  HAPPY NEW YEAR AND DECADE TO ALL OF YOU GUYS CONSTANTLY IN TOUCH WITH KLAUS AND ODYSSEY AUDIO !!!!!!!!!!!!

TOBY

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:51 pm »
Candela, MiniMax among others and a pair built by a friend here in Mexico:

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:43 pm »
I've been using one of these: http://www.musicaldesign.com/MC_Cham.html

Excellent line stage with an optional phono. Available at many different price points and fully upgradeable.

Most importantly, the flexible design that allows you to change the daughter board/tube compliment, and therefore the sound. BRILLIANT!

johnzm

« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2011, 09:44 pm »
<-- dodd battery pre. sounds good

dangerbird

« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2011, 12:12 am »
oh yeah,, if you can find one,,check out the Dodd MLP

dangerbird

« Reply #18 on: 2 Feb 2011, 12:16 am »
I auditioned the Niteshade Beacon preamp with a stereo ex.  It matched and sounded great with the Odyssey.  I highly recommend you audition it for the cost of shipping.

If you get an opportunity,could you elaborate on the Beacon/Odyssey combo,,I auditioned the Beacon last year and it mated well with my Quicksilvers.Thanks.

Wolfman

« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2011, 02:04 am »
I haven't used it in awhile,but a Supratek Syrah works well. Mick is making gear again,the Chenin is the cheapest one now with a phono stage. Mine has adjustable gain as well.

His stuff isn't cheap,but you can find used with some patience.