cleaning LPs with the 99cent red clothes brush

hifitommy

« on: 14 Mar 2004, 09:41 pm »
from the 99cents only store, they have these red clothes brushes that are exceedingly similar to the diswasher brush.  

i wet it with filtered water, and put a tiny drop of dawn dish detergergent on the sink and dab the TIP of my finger in it just a bit.  i then smooth this along the length of the middle of the brush.  then i wet the record grooves in the filtered water (from the sink or bottle).  

then wash the record with the brush back and forth which nicely follows the grooves, in arcs until youve wahsed one side nicely.  without resoaping, turn the record over and repeat for the other side.  its enough for both sides.  

then thoroughly rinse both sides, and then i use the sink sprayer to excessively spray both surfaces of the record (makes a splattery mess).  dry with a paper towel or two as much as possible.  wave the record in the air a few times on your way to the TT and then put it on the player.  

OYES, this is effective and safe.  the fibers in the brush really track the groves better than any i have used.  the brushes are cheeeeep and can be tossed when you feel its necessary.

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2004, 10:18 pm »
Thanks for the info on the el-cheapo brushes. I'll have to see if our local 99 cent outfit has some.