Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?

Pretender

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« on: 14 Mar 2004, 09:10 pm »
Has anyone heard both of these speakers? I currently own a pair of RM2s, and I am pleased with them overall...However, "tuning" them is driving me crazy--I can't leave well enough alone. Also, as much as I like the ribbon drivers, their wide dispersion present a challenge in my room.

Having said that, I hadn't really considered any other speaker, until I read the review of the Loreleis on 6moons. What caught my eye was the comparison to the Meadowlark Shearwaters. I once owned a pair of Shearwaters, and loved them--except for the "lean" sound that was referred to in the review. It would appear that the Loreleis could be just the ticket?

Marbles

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2004, 09:17 pm »
I've heard both in my system.  I would take the Lorelies over the RM2's, and I own the RM40's and 626's.

"as much as I like the ribbon drivers, their wide dispersion present a challenge in my room. "

I don't understand this comment.  The ribbons have a much smaller dispersion than cones/dome drivers do.

The Lorilies will suck you into the music.  They are not dry and anylitical.

The VMPS give back what's fed in, as long as they are properly set up.

WAF goes to the Odysseys as well.

Pretender

Thanks Marbles--
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2004, 11:40 pm »
I know that ribbons have a narrow vertical dispersion, but I didn't think the same was true horizontally--As a matter of fact, it seems as though I read postings on the VMPS board about people placing foam on the sides of their mid panels, just as the tweeters are flanked with foam...

At any rate, in my room, I don't have the solid center image with the RM2s, as I did with my Shearwaters. Also, I am looking for something that sounds good all around the room--without having to be seated in the sweet spot...

Thanks again!

djbnh

Loreleis
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2004, 02:54 am »
Nice posts, glad someone asked and answered.

byteme

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2004, 04:49 am »
Prior to making my decision on speakers I read and listened to everything I could.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear either the Lorelei or any VMPS speakers.  The third on my short list was Tyler 7U's.  I read everything I could find on these and talked to many owners.  Based on the fact that I value emotion, involvement and realism over the Nth degree of detail I now own a pair of Lorelei's.  One thing I can say about the 6moons review that was right on, man these things have silly amounts of bass for a 6 1/2 inch driver!  It's really amazing.  The thing I think the review doesn't really do a good job of mentioning is that it almost implies that the Lorelei's aren't very revealing.  I find that not to be true, I think the provide a ton of detail, more than other speakers I've heard, it's just that on top of the detail there is SO much emotion that I think that really overshadows the fact that they are excellent detail speakers.

As marbles mentioned, they really draw you in.  There have been a couple times that I put on music to listen to in the background while doing something else and ended up sitting in the sweetspot unable to pull myself away.  Listening outside the sweetspot is also a key factor for me and on that these really excel.  Imaging is fantastic as well, they do a great disappearing act!

Good luck with your search!  Keep us posted.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2004, 08:47 am »
:lol: If you like imaging,the Lorelei's will NOT disappoint. I have very little toein with mine, sit about 8 feet away, and swear that my center channel Nemisis is playing when it's not. In fact, the image is still there a foot away from center. :o Simply incredible these Lorelei's, they've spoiled the hell outta me. The only tinkering you'll need to do will be to pry your butt away from the sweet spot. :D  Regards, Robin

Captain Humble

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2004, 02:55 pm »
I'm another Lorelei owner.
Ditto byteme.

Good luck with your search.

Dunedain

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2004, 04:47 pm »
I haven't heard the Lorelei's, so I can't comment on them.  But we own the RM2's.
First off, I would say that the concerns over limited dispersion with the VMPS
speakers are generally very exaggerated.  The speakers sound great even if you aren't
in the sweet spot, say, seated off to the left or right of center, but they go to
an even higher level of sound quality when you are sitting in the center listening
position.  The FST tweeter upgrade also widens up the horizontal dispersion quite a
bit according to reports.  We have the FST upgrade and haven't had any problems with
dispersion at all.  And the limited dispersion helps with reducing unwanted reflections
muddying up the sound.

And the sound quality is just superb, you won't believe the level of detail
in the sound!  The voices and instruments come alive with a realistic nuanced sound
the likes of which I have never heard before on any other speakers.  For example, a saxophone
wasn't just some lifeless "sound" coming from the speakers any more, you could hear the
air flowing through it, like a living breathing instrument.  We could even hear the
plungers (not sure what the correct term is) on sax's topping out (hitting the upper
limits of their travel) as the musician's fingers released them.

This is the kind of detail and realism I'm talking about.  It's the closest thing
to having the musicians in the room I have ever heard.  And the sound is so sweet and smooth,
not harsh at all.  But it's not rolling off the highs at all, it's just that it plays them
in such an effortless silky smooth way.  Very easy on the ears.  :)

And the bass...  The RM2's have incredibly powerful bass available on demand, and yet
also delicate and precise bass.  Delivering what is asked for, and no more.  These things
can handle music bass no problem.  And for movies, WOW.  Low, accurate and LOUD, perfect for
demanding DVD action movies.  :)

I highly recommend you give the RM2's a listen.  There is even a 30 day free trial period
where you can send them back for a full refund if you don't like them.

popsyr

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2004, 12:03 am »
I gave Klaus a call a couple of days after the 6-Moons review came out.  I asked him "What do you do with your equipment sent out on review and I'm interested in the Lorelei's which are in Taos, NM."  Within a week they were at my door step, out of the boxes and hooked up.  I have had them for about 5 months and they are staying.  I will soon have my Tyler Taylos (which are also very good speakers) for sell but the Lorelei's are a keeper.  The Lorelei's were already broken in so they sounded very very good out of the box.

As SatFrat said, the imaging is outstanding.  I had the same problem, I knew I was in stereo but I could swear that my Nemisis (center channel) was playing.  I even went up to it to make sure that I connected my speakers up properly.

I do have most of the products Klaus has and IMO the Lorelei's are the best of all of his products.  The tempest is also excellent if you are into vinyl.

PS... Klaus said that if I did not keep the Lorelei's that he would come to Houston and kick my butt, so I decided to keep them.....  Just kidding
Klaus.....

By the way, does anybody know how tall Klaus is????

Marbles

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2004, 12:11 am »
I think he said he was 6' 4" and he lifts weights.

I"ve been to a few "Gentlemans" clubs with Klaus and he has always been bigger than the bouncers.

As it happens, I just received my RM30 center channel tonight and it would give the Lorelies a run for WAF.

It looks a LOT nicer than the RM40's or RM2's IMO.

popsyr

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2004, 12:17 am »
That's a bit too tall for me.  

All I lift is his amps.

Bob A (SD)

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2004, 01:51 am »
I know this may be a reach but I'm just flat curious.  Have any of you who either own or have done lengthy auditions of the Lorelei's also heard Magneplanar series 3 speakers (IIIa, 3.5, 3.6).  Many of the characteristics you've described mirror what those of us with Maggies express (save the lack of a "boxy sound").

My bedroom system runs a pair of Ed Frias audioreview.com DIY speakers (which employ Peerless drivers).  They perform very well for what they are and where I use them.  I only mention this to indicate that I'm not just a planar owner -:)

Seriously, I would be interested in hearing how the Loreliei's compare to good planars.

Best!

--Bob

Marbles

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2004, 01:59 am »
I have heard Dr Photo's Maggie 1.2's that he has modded the XO on significantly.

I would rather have the Lorelies and Dr. Photo has told me he really would like a pair of the Lorilies too.

Dr. Photo took most of the pictures on Klaus's website.

TheeeChosenOne

Loreleis or VMPS RM2s?
« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2004, 07:05 am »
I have heard the RM2's and Loreleis.  

Nothing to add than what others have already mentioned.

I agree that the Lorelei's have amazing musicality.  It truly DRAWS you into the music.   Great imaging as well!   :D

Pretender

Thanks for all the responses!
« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2004, 12:32 pm »
I am seriously considering giving the Loreleis a try--I just have a hard time believing that I can get the same bass out of them that I am from the 12 inch woofer in my RM2s...Having said that, I assume that the most synergistic amplifier for Loreleis would be the Stratos??

byteme

Re: Thanks for all the responses!
« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2004, 12:38 pm »
Quote from: Pretender
I am seriously considering giving the Loreleis a try--I just have a hard time believing that I can get the same bass out of them that I am from the 12 inch woofer in my RM2s...Having said that, I assume that the most synergistic amplifier for Loreleis would be the Stratos??
The Loreleis have bass that belies the size of the driver.  It is simply amazing how low they play.  However, the crossovers each weigh about 30 lbs...that might have something to do with it...

Marbles

Re: Thanks for all the responses!
« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2004, 01:25 pm »
Quote from: Pretender

You won't get the same bass out of the Lorelie's.  You will certainly have more and lower in the RM2's.  The bass of the Lorelies IS very good however and most would never wish for more.