Anyone using the KAB EV-1 to clean your records?

bmed

« on: 14 Mar 2004, 08:07 pm »
I've seen one review on TNT-audio.  Haven't checked Vinyl Asylum (down anyway).  I'd love to have a VPI or NG fully automatic, but just think of all the records you could buy with the $300 dollars saved by getting the EV-1---only if it is effective.

Anyone?

Brad

nathanm

« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2004, 09:19 pm »
I've got it.  It works swell as long as you've got a good powerful vacuum to attach to it.  It's relatively cheap (but could be cheaper once you see how little there is to this gadget) compared to others, and you will get a good arm workout in the process.  (if you've got finger pickin' guitar player fingernails and\or you are a woman with long nails this device may pose a problem)

The only "issue" I find semi-objectionable is that you must hold it steady whilst you turn it with your other hand.  I've fancied bolting mine down to a table\stand but never got around to it.  A good slab of metal on the inside of the case might work too.  I also fancied filling the puck thingy with lead shot to give it some more inertia, but again - never got around to it.

It gets 'em nice 'n clean but there is some manual labor involved, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Spending more will get you more convenience, but not necessarily cleaner records.  Besides, owning a record cleaner really ups the audiophile nerd factor quite a bit and may garner even more odd stares from friends and family! :thumb:

bmed

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2004, 02:44 am »
Thanks,

Although I like convenience, I just want clean records.   You mentioned you need a strong vacuum, but the site says that shop vacs are recommended.  They would be the strongest by far?  What's up with that?  I'm going to email KAB and get more information.  

Thanks for the info,

Brad

duff138

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2004, 02:54 am »
The AudioAdvisor record cleaner is only $200.  I think for an extra $50 I'd get it.

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2004, 04:57 am »
Actually it says NOT to use a shop vac, as they may be too strong and suck the music right off.  :wink: Anyway, I use mine with what I like to call my "HiFi" vacuum cleaner, an Airway Centurion.  It will take less time to get the disc dry if there's more powerful suction.  I used to use mine with a Data Vac, the biggest POS ever.  I might as well have wished for the record to get clean - same result!  

Anyway, a shop vac is probably a bit impractical to have sitting in your listening room anyway I s'pose.  (and noisy as all get out) I'd say if you've already got the vacuum then get the EV-1 if not, then the AudioAdvisor one makes more sense.

wongstein

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2004, 09:57 am »
Quote from: nathanm
Besides, owning a record cleaner really ups the audiophile nerd factor quite a bit and may garner even more odd stares from friends and family!

You mean you can get odder stares than when you have records in your dish drying rack?   :P

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2004, 01:29 pm »
Hi Brad,

I use one. I did it a little different than most. I built a record cleaning station based on it. If you read my review of the Disc Doctors record cleaning solution you can get a glimpse of what I did.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/discdoctor_e.html

When you come over for our  next GAS get together later this month, bring some dirty vinyl and you can see how well it works. I just use a small portable vacuum. I perminently mounted it under the main cleaning platform.

Oh, don't bother with the Nitty Gritty cleaning solution. Go straight for the Disc Doctor solution. It works much, much better. If you want, we can do a comparison of those two also.

bmed

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2004, 01:40 pm »
I'm sorry guys, I mispoke;  KAB does not recommend the Shop-vacs.  I have a small hand-held Shop vac--it's a 2 gallon, 2.0hp motor.  It's small and would be perfect--wonder if that's too much.  

Scott,
I'm very interested in your DIY model.  I'll definitely bring some records to give it a try.  I read your review.  Not sure I could build one, but maybe seeing yours will give me inspiration and courage.

Brad

colitas

Check out TERESaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2004, 03:50 am »
The have a detail for DIY project from an old vacuum, if you're into saving some money.

hifitommy

kab recommends against
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2004, 05:00 pm »
professional shop vacs but home shop vacs are ok.  theyre ugly and loud but no louder than the aa record dr II.  mine self destructed the fan impellers and nitty wants $100 to fix it.  nope.  

i may drill a large hole in the side of mine to put the vac hose into and use it that way.  shop vacs are less than $100!